Ce Ce Peniston -- live!

LPJim

Staff member
Labor Day weekend gave me an opportunity to visit a favorite three-in-one show venue in Downtown Atlanta and catch sets from three female R&B artists of the late '80s and early '90s.

One building houses the Loft, the Vinyl Club and Center Stage, the latter at which Robin S., Sybil and Ce Ce Peniston performed sets Friday night (9-4-15) with DJ segments in between. Robin S. is known for her 1993 hit "Show Me Love" while Sybil's best known for her covers of two Dionne Warwick classics, "Walk on By" and "Don't Make Me Over."

Ce Ce Peniston had several dance club style hits in the early '90s and recorded three albums for A&M. I hadn't heard much about her in a while and wondered how well her voice and energy had held up. Quite well from what I observed. Most of the audience was age 40 and above.

The lobby at Center Stage was filled with merchandise booths, mostly jewelry, hair products and small art objects. Each door into the performance area leads to a few rows of seats and then to a large dance floor with the stage about 5 feet above.

After the show a photo booth was set up where Ms. Peniston posed and chatted with the fans. She talked about how her solo career was launched after she did backing vocals on an early hip hop era A&M release, FEMALE PREACHER by Overweight Pooch (Tonya Davis) in 1991.

It was great to hear the vintage tunes, especially Ce Ce's signature hit, "Finally," live for my first time.

JB

Attachments

• SCAN0389.JPG
    SCAN0389.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 5
  • SCAN0388.JPG
    SCAN0388.JPG
    121.7 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom