Cher and Bette

Everything in the last twenty years from Cher has been auto-tuned. Her Abba album is downright embarrassing. Can you tell I'm not a fan yet?

Of course, this is my personal opinion, beauty in the eye of the beholder don't you know...Bette's Grammy winning #1 hit, from the emotionally charged movie "Beaches", The Wind Beneath My Wings, is awful! To this day, when I hear her sing "fly...fly...so high (etc)" I cringe :yikes:!! It's laughable...
Good to know I'm not the only one! Country singer Gary Morris had a big hit with this song, five years before Bette butchered... er, recorded it, and I much prefer his performance. I'd also take Sheena Easton's recording (from 1983's "Madness, Money, and Music" album) over Bette's any day of the week! It's not that I think Bette isn't a good singer... her recording of "The Rose" is sublime! ... I just find her version of TWBMW cringe worthy! IMHO of course.

I took a listen to it yesterday and couldn't last more than two songs. She absolutely murders One Of Us.

I get the theoretical outrageous camp appeal of these two artists combined, but she doesn't even have any vocal charisma to pull it off. Why does she even try to sing, really? She's a much better actress by comparison, and a great personality, but those vocal chords were never blessed from the get-go.

Everything in the last twenty years from Cher has been auto-tuned. Her Abba album is downright embarrassing. Can you tell I'm not a fan yet?

...just like virtually every other Pop singer in existence. She has no more on her either unless we’re talking the intentional stuff on “Believe”. In fact, that used on her new album is very subtle if it’s rhere at all.

Did Cher deny you an autograph or put salt in your Rice Krispies? There seems to be some real venom here. My dad did the latter to me when I was about 5 and he’s never lived it down so if that’s it, I get it.

Ed

Well, Good ole' Cher might have the last laugh after all... Her "Dancing Queen" album is currently #2 on the itunes chart. You've got to admit; she has a huge and very loyal fanbase.

...just like virtually every other Pop singer in existence. She has no more on her either unless we’re talking the intentional stuff on “Believe”. In fact, that used on her new album is very subtle if it’s rhere at all.

Did Cher deny you an autograph or put salt in your Rice Krispies? There seems to be some real venom here. My dad did the latter to me when I was about 5 and he’s never lived it down so if that’s it, I get it.

Ed

I just hate her voice, I don't hate her. There's "venom" when someone is praised for something that to me ears just isn't there. It's just annoying that her pap is beloved and I don't understand how people's tastes have sunk so low. Her gargantuan charisma has for decades convinced people that she's a top-tier vocalist, and I hate/am fascinated by how someone's undying love for an idol will skew their perceptions to such a degree that they only process what they want to, in sevice of unconditional love for said idol.

There's no other way her Abba abomination is becoming hit right now. Or with any hits she's had.

And it is simply untrue that every pop singer has used autotune. If her new album is using it "subtly" then pop music has gotten even worse than I thought.

In defense of Bette. I do like her vocal stylings on Do You Wanna Dance and also of Superstar. But it's important to watch her sing these numbers. It's a big part of her delivering her product. She's a performance artist in a way. She is also a very funny comedian. But I can't get behind the thinking that considers her as a great vocalist. Her rendition of The Wind Beneath My Wings is not a good vocal performance. It's not even a good song. It's slow and plodding, its lyrics are overly sentimental and sappy, the arrangement sucks (overproduced), and not suited to her voice IMHO. Yet, it won a Grammy and was a huge #1 hit. Go figure...

It has been intimated, that Bette-bashing in this forum is the result of her past jabs at our beloved Karen. She apologized in Redbook Magazine years ago, and I believe she was sincere. It's obvious the Bette v Karen feud was played-up by the media. Bette never seemed malicious towards Karen. Not like the disgusting Joan Rivers...

...And it is simply untrue that every pop singer has used autotune. If her new album is using it "subtly" then pop music has gotten even worse than I thought.

No, it's not. It's all over what's left of the radio. Producers have gotten lazy and they'd rather use it than really work to get great "takes" out of singers. There are few and far between who don't use it.

Ed

Source:
How Auto-Tune Revolutionized the Sound of Popular Music | Pitchfork

How Auto-Tune Revolutionized the Sound of Popular Music
SEPTEMBER 17 2018

Excerpt:
"The pitch-correction technology Auto-Tune had been on the market for about a year before “Believe
hit the charts, but its previous appearances had been discreet, as its makers, Antares Audio Technologies, intended. “Believe” was the first record where the effect drew attention to itself."
----
"Long before inventing Auto-Tune, the mathematician Dr. Andy Hildebrand made his first fortune helping the oil giant Exxon find drilling sites. Using fabulously complex algorithms to interpret the data generated by sonar, his company located likely deposits of fuel deep underground. Alongside math, though, Hildebrand’s other passion was music..."
----

Back
Top Bottom