Chet Baker's "The Best Thing For You"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bacardi

I've finally listened to Chet Baker's The Best Thing For You (A&M CD 0832) that I picked up from the record show. Very nice album, a mix of straight-ahead small group jazz and the orchestral stuff of Don Sebesky, who produced this album. This was recorded in 1977, but I don't recall it being released on A&M/Horizon. Could this be another Artists House original, that John Snyder had? Anyone know?

One neat thing here is the final recorded performance of Paul Desmond. He played on three tunes, and the liner notes say he died shortly afterwards. He was already weak from the lung cancer, but summoned up enough energy to play here. Nice lines, typical Desmond.

This CD also has an alternate take to "El Morro", which was originally on the You Can't Go Home Again album. I haven't done a comparison listen yet to see what's different.

As far as Baker's playing, he sounds great, especially on the small group stuff. Very free, cool lines. :cool: His vocals even sound somewhat good (I've never cared much for his singing). Definitely worth getting, if you can find it.

Capt. Bacardi
NP: Chet Baker - The Best Thing For You

In 2000 Verve reissued both A&M-Horizon Chet Baker albums, plus bonus tracks, as a 2-disc package. When they marked it down from $32 to $23 I decided to get it.
The bonus material includes alternate takes on "You Can't Go Home" and "I'm Getting Sentimental .../You've Changed" at the end of the first disc.
While there are more alternate takes on the 2nd disc, there are several previously unreleased songs: Out of Our Hands/ Broken Wing/ Paradox/ and Blues.
JB

Captain Bacardi said:
This was recorded in 1977, but I don't recall it being released on A&M/Horizon. Anyone know?

Yes, it was Horizon #25 (the little number on the spine), SP 726. It was among the last to get the little number treatment in the corner. I believe the Alpert/Masekela was the first Horiszon to do without it and soon after Alpert/Masekela the label and logo for Horizon (as well as the type of music it presented) changed from the sunrise/sunset label to the stylized blue sun on horizon label (and logo). I believe this is when Tommy LiPuma came back to A&M and took over the imprint presenting not only jazz but other acts difficult to categorize (Dr John, Gordon Michaels, Ben Sidran, Dave Grisman and many others)...

--Mr Bill

Has anyone heard Ben Sidran's Horizon material? I have two of his on the Magenta label...Magenta was sort of a "jazz" offshoot of Windham Hill, which was still A&M distributed back then. The two I have are On The Cool Side which is sort of electronic in a way (jazz with occasional synths)...where On The Live Side is neat due to a guest appearance by Steve Miller, a good buddy of his. Also got a rare laserdisc of On The Live Side.

I know he's had other recordings but never had a clue as to what they sounded like. I played On The Cool Side relentlessly for months.

Rudy said:
Has anyone heard Ben Sidran's Horizon material?

I have his Cat And The Hat (CD741), and it's kinda cool sounding. He takes a few jazz classics and adds vocals, such as "Seven Steps To Heaven", "Girl Talk" and Frank Rosolino's "Blue Daniel", plus songs by Coltrane and Monk. I haven't listened to it in a while, but it reminded me of a more earthy Michael Franks or Dave Frishberg sound. Great supporting cast as well. I think you'd like it. :wink:

Capt. Bacardi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom