Choosing 20 Track of RPO Part 2 (No Christmas Songs)

cam89

if you could CHOOSE a 20 Track RPO of Part 2....what songs would you choose....
1) Aurora
2) Maybe It's You
3) Mr. Guder
4) Another Song
5) Someday
6) I Can't Make Music
7) Those Good Old Dreams
8) I Can Dream Can't I
9) Look To Your Dreams
10) Boat To Sail
11) Solitaire
12) All You Get From Love Is a Love Song
13) Only Yesterday
14) Eve
15) Two Sides
16) Road Ode
17) Sing
18) I'll Never Fall In Love Again
19) One Love
20) Eventide

Other contenders....
YOU, I HAVE YOU, ONE MORE TIME, BECAUSE WE ARE IN LOVE, MAKE BELIEVE IT'S YOUR FIRST TIME

Here's my list from a similar thread.

How about
1) Im caught between goodbye and I love you
2) one more time
3) let me be the one
4) love me for what i am
5) reason to believe
6) a song for you
7) leave yesterday behind
8) now
9) crescent noon
10) you're the one
11) a place to hideaway
12) only yesterday
13) crystal lullaby
14) road ode
15) one love
16) sometimes
17) eve
18) maybe its you
Bonus track) something's missing
The other 2 that i would add are ordinary fool and calling occupants excluding the dj intro.

Here's mine, chronologically

1) Eve
2)Let me be the one
3)A Place to Hideaway
4)A Song 4 U
5)Bless the Beasts
6)It's Gonna Take Some Time
7)I won't Last a Day
8)Crystal Lullaby
9)Sing
10)Only Yesterday
11)Solitaire
12)You
13)All You Get From Love
14)You're The One
15)Where Do I Go From Here
16)Those Good Old Dreams
17)Now
18)Overture - he could take the gorgeous Close To You instrumental that begins the Singles 69-73 and lavish it up.

There's mine. We know Love Song and Dreams are close to being in the can and he stated how he wants Now on there. Obviously Universal will want all hits on there, however minor, though I think Richard will fight the inclusion of Kind of Hush. With You. . .a pretty song in need of a remix, he could just as easily go with Sandy. . . a track he seems to love plus is written my him so royalties.

I do not know of any rumours....I just was thinking how nice it would be to have a second one.

Sometimes our thoughts change for an album tracklist as the months, years go by....as have mine.

1) Aurora
2) Maybe It's You
3) Mr. Guder
4) Another Song
5) Someday
6) I Can't Make Music
7) Those Good Old Dreams
8) I Can Dream Can't I
9) Look To Your Dreams
10) Boat To Sail
11) Solitaire
13) Only Yesterday
14) Eve
15) Two Sides
16) Road Ode
17) Sing
19) One Love
20) Eventide

Other contenders....
YOU, I HAVE YOU, ONE MORE TIME, BECAUSE WE ARE IN LOVE, MAKE BELIEVE IT'S YOUR FIRST TIME
Kick-ass playlist! I’d add ‘A Song For You’ and ‘Crescent Noon’.

I know we did this list a while back, but I can't remember what thread it was on Martin, as I could reprint mine here too.
I did it 2 years ago...but have no clue how to merge said threads. Reading between Michael Lennox's posts I'd say an RPO 2 may well be due a release dec this year, hence his teasing about uk travel. I'm guessing marketing will follow the exact pattern from 2018/19....hitting xmas and mother's day, meaning richard will be London bound August time. I maybe wrong, but part 2 was always a possibility....and most rpo projects had a sequel.

Kick-ass playlist! I’d add ‘A Song For You’ and ‘Crescent Noon’.
I think Aurora and Eventide just ADDED beauty to HORIZON's tracklist...although I am not a. huge huge fan of the Horizon I love those opening and closing songs....and also too adore the opening segue into BEGUN....it was classy and just added some beauty into an album of classy songs

I remember I truly wept upon hearing the bit segueing into Just Fall In Love....and I love his segues.....I remember the first time I heard Rainbow Connection and I cried...I think I had gotten it on Napster at one time....and a few of Akiko's tracks that so reminded me of reminiscent of the C's sound

1) Aurora
2) Maybe It's You
3) Mr. Guder
4) Another Song
5) Someday
6) I Can't Make Music
7) Those Good Old Dreams
8) I Can Dream Can't I
9) Look To Your Dreams
10) Boat To Sail
11) Solitaire
13) Only Yesterday
14) Eve
15) Two Sides
16) Road Ode
17) Sing
19) One Love
20) Eventide

Other contenders....
I would add one more track, KISS ME THE WAY YOU DID LAST NIGHT....but if I had to have 20 total, I would remove MR GUDER

Looking For Love
The Parting of Our Ways
Ice Tea
California Dreaming
The Book of Love
Fun, Fun, Fun
All You Get From Love Is A Love Song
Beechwood 4-5789
The Uninvited Guest
Say Yeah!
If I Had You
(Want You) Back In My Life Again
Prime Time Love
Your Baby Doesn’t Love You Anymore (maybe combined as a medley with Prime)
The Night Has A Thousand Eyes
Who Do You Love?
Don’t Try To Win Me Back
Love Making Love To You
Kiss Me The Way You Did Last Night
Slow Dance
Bonus: You’re Enough

Here's my list from a similar thread.

The other 2 that i would add are ordinary fool and calling occupants excluding the dj intro.
I think my list would be almost identical to Martin's, plus "Someday." (There is a section that's a little loud and pushes the VU limits—if by a stroke of luck or magic Mr. Carpenter could clean that up and give the song a facelift, that would be heavenly, imho.)

I think my list would be almost identical to Martin's, plus "Someday." ...
It's a shame that Karen never got the chance to re-record "Someday", as Richard indicated somewhere (I'm fairly sure) that she wanted to do - it's a stunningly beautiful song and as a teenager she nailed it - as a physically and emotionally mature woman she would have killed it - more than any other song this arrangement and performance illustrates how she would have sung and what she would have sounded like front center stage in a Broadway theater...

Sorry to "break the rules" :wink: but I don't have a list of 20, rather a list of the ones I feel MUST be included, regardless. In order of importance:

1. Road Ode
  2. Only Yesterday
  3. Let Me Be The One
  4. Solitaire
  5. Crescent Noon
  6. All You Get From Love (is a love song)
  7. Bless the Beasts
  8. I Won't Last a Day Without You
  9. There's a Kind of Hush
  10. California Dreamin'

I think my list would be almost identical to Martin's, plus "Someday." (There is a section that's a little loud and pushes the VU limits—if by a stroke of luck or magic Mr. Carpenter could clean that up and give the song a facelift, that would be heavenly, imho.)
Also remember that Karen was suffering from a cold when the “Offering” version was recorded.

It's a shame that Karen never got the chance to re-record "Someday", as Richard indicated somewhere (I'm fairly sure) that she wanted to do - it's a stunningly beautiful song and as a teenager she nailed it - as a physically and emotionally mature woman she would have killed it - more than any other song this arrangement and performance illustrates how she would have sung and what she would have sounded like front center stage in a Broadway theater...
She did re-record part of it in 1980.

Here you go...

("Someday" starts at around 5:28 of this video.)

I've always objectively liked the way this sounded. However! the subjective part comes in with regard to the change in Karen's singing style in 1969 vs. in 1980. Karen's singing voice in 1969 was obviously rougher, more in the basement (even when it comes to that climactic "some... daaaayyyy"), and her singing voice in 1980 was much lighter, almost on the verge of the female equivalent of "head voice." So, while I do find the 1980 medley version to be smoother to listen to, there is something in the gut (in Hawaiian it's like... in the naʻau) about the original Offering version that affects me more than the 1980 version.

However, I do want to underscore my comment reiterating -- I love both versions, each for different reasons!

Several points:

1. If Karen had re-recorded "Someday" in the mid 70s, say at age 24-26, when her voice was at it's peak, the result more than likely would have been awesome...

2. She re-recorded "Merry Christmas, Darling" for the 1978 Christmas album and her voice is richer and more resonant than on the early 70s recording...

3. I agree that by the late 70s and early 80s her voice was, while still beautiful, not quite as powerful and penetrating (due mostly to the accumulated effects of chronic malnutrition)...re: the Solo Album...

4. As the above video demonstrates, her assurance and confidence level as a singer was "off the charts" by this time - she absolutely knew that she was a superb vocal stylist with a beloved, gorgeous voice and all of this was simply a natural part of her persona by then...another great example of this can be seen in her performance of MCD on the Bruce Forsyth Show in the late 70s where this supreme control and self- assurance is written all over her performance...

I may be wrong but I do think that distortion in the string part could be effectively cleaned up, because they were working with so few tracks at A&M at that time that I imagine many separate string (and possibly other) tracks had been bounced into one. This would make it impossible to isolate the one offending track and fix the issue. With current software it may be possible by some method but I wouldn’t like to bet on it.

Karen's singing voice in 1969 was obviously rougher, more in the basement (even when it comes to that climactic "some... daaaayyyy"), and her singing voice in 1980 was much lighter, almost on the verge of the female equivalent of "head voice."

I’ve never been that keen on this part of medley because Karen seems to hold back, hitting the note directly as opposed to sliding up to it, which I think would have had more impact.

Sorry to "break the rules" :wink: but I don't have a list of 20, rather a list of the ones I feel MUST be included, regardless. In order of importance:

1. Road Ode
  2. Only Yesterday
  3. Let Me Be The One
  4. Solitaire
  5. Crescent Noon
  6. All You Get From Love (is a love song)
  7. Bless the Beasts
  8. I Won't Last a Day Without You
  9. There's a Kind of Hush
  10. California Dreamin'

Revisiting my previous post...

I'm going to replace my last selection - California Dreamin'.

Reason being - while I love their rendition of this song, it's a personal choice (I have always enjoyed their earlier stuff with Karen's as-yet unrefined but booming deep contralto) that doesn't take into account how it might "fit" into a 2nd WPO album, and what selection of songs would make for the best collection. I don't think this one "fits".

So I'm replacing that song with - Trying to Get The Feeling Again.

Revisiting my previous post...

I'm going to replace my last selection - California Dreamin'.

Reason being - while I love their rendition of this song, it's a personal choice (I have always enjoyed their earlier stuff with Karen's as-yet unrefined but booming deep contralto) that doesn't take into account how it might "fit" into a 2nd WPO album, and what selection of songs would make for the best collection. I don't think this one "fits".

So I'm replacing that song with - Trying to Get The Feeling Again.
Mmm, really good choice!

Back
Top Bottom