Chris Montez: 'Some Kind of Fun' at Dick Clark's new Theater

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
Last month Dick Clark's Theater in Pigeon Forge, TN, opened in a large barn-like structure on a scenic hilltop near the Great Smoky Mountains, with many acts who seldom visit the area slated to appear.

An item of interest, listed as the 'Stars of Bandstand' with little other information appeared on the calendar for today (7-5-07). Eventually I learned these included Fabian, Bobby Vee, the Chiffons, Brian Hyland and ... I couldn't believe this ... Chris Montez!

Wild horses couldn't keep me away, as the song goes. With a shortcut, the drive took a little over an hour, and we spent some time checking out the theater's attractions. These include music videos playing in the lobby, CDs, shirts and other souvenirs, and some nicely displayed memorabilia.

There were autographed albums covers and guitars by Sting, the Rolling Stones, Prince, James Taylor, Jefferson Airplane and Three Dog Night on the walls.

Escalators lead to the basement, which has a backstage room, reception area, a snack bar, picnic tables, merchandise stands and doors leading to the outdoor stage, seats and bleachers. Tickets ranged from $49 to $19, and with plenty of seating available, we opted for the cheap ones.

I was happy to see a long table covered with a white table cloth with plenty of chairs set up, a good omen for meeting the musicians after the show. About 350 attended, and it appeared around 349 stuck around for the post-show reception.

When the receiving line bogged down, Fabian (who acted as Emcee) left the table and walked along the line doing photo opps and signing autographs.
At the table, in order from right to left, were Vee, Judy Craig (the sole original member of the Chiffons), Hyland and Chris.

He laughed when I said "I'm glad you're at the end. I've got a lot of album covers for you." In my bag were mono and stereo copies of all the A&M albums, a CD with some Monogram label tracks, plus a nice compilation CD of A&M tracks I found at the venue.

With a local one-man band playing loudly in the other room, it was difficult to have much conversation, but I had a chance to tell Chris about the A&M Corner. My copy of CARTAS DE AMOR, his 1983 A&M Discos of Mexico release, was a nice conversation piece.

He said he had not seen that record in a long time and wasn't sure he even owned a copy. I said I'd be happy to copy it for him but, in the confusion, didn't have a chance to give him my card. Maybe I can get in touch online.

The show ran for about two hours, with each artist's brief segments making the time go quickly, with a 15-minute break:

FABIAN:
If the House is Rockin', Don't come Knockin'
I'm a Man

BRIAN HYLAND
The Joker Went Wild
Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Polka Dot Bikini
"Sealed With a Kiss"
Gypsy Woman -- uptempo version
Good Golly Miss Molly

CHIFFONS (Original member Judy Craig with her daughter & niece)
One Fine Day
Be My Baby
Will You Love Me Tomorrow
Sweet Talking Guy
He's So Fine

FABIAN
Turn Me Loose
I'm a Tiger -- with audience volunteers doing the Twist onstage
Back in the U.S.A.
Old Time Rock and Roll

~intermission~

BOBBY VEE
Walking With My Angel
Come Back When You Grow Up
Run to Him
Take Good Care of My Baby
Wipe Out -- with cardboard box drum
Party Doll
One Last Kiss
No Expectations -- uptempo Stones cover

CHRIS MONTEZ
We Belong Together (with Vee)
La Bamba
That'll Be the Day (with Hyland)
Call Me
The More I See You
Let's Dance! -- during which he left the stage and danced with the ladies on the front row

Chris drew appreciative laughter when he noted the traffic in Pigeon Forge was similar to L.A. and made him feel at home. "It's easier to cross the Mexican border than the streets around here."

(Note: "Some Kind of Fun" is a great pre-A&M Montez tune he didn't do but I wish he had)

BOBBY VEE
Devil or Angel
The Night Has a Thousand Eyes
Rubber Ball
Rebel Rouser -- Duane Eddy cover
Little Queenie -- Chuck Berry cover

Backing all the artists were Jeff Olson (keyboards), R.J. Stevens (guitar), Tommy Vee (acoustic stand-up bass) and Jeffrey Vee (drums). The latter are Bobby Vee's sons.

Finale: "... Yellow Polka Dot Bikini" reprise with all artists onstage

It's great to have a theater dedicated to vintage rock and pop close by, after wishing for one for so many years. I hope audience support will grow as the word gets around.

Hope everyone had a Happy 4th.
This one's the best I can recall in many years.

From Mendes to Montez in less than a month.
Who'd have thought that would be possible.

JB

For more information visit the Dick Clark Theater site:

www.bandstandtickets.com

Man, I sure would like to go down there and check out the next Old 'N' Goldies revue...! :wink:

Sounds like you had a real neat time... I had the "Some Kind'a Fun" song as the B-Side to my "Let's Dance" single, too...

Dave

montez.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom