6. Just Friends (Lewis-Klenner) 2:30

Produced by: Tommy LiPuma
* Produced by: Herb Alpert & Tommy LiPuma
** Produced by: Marshal Leib
Arranged by: Nick DeCaro
Engineered by: Bruce Botnick
Album Designed by: Peter Whorf Graphics

Liner Notes:

There is a quality common to most fine singers that makes us feel we can sing as effortlessly, as smoothly, as convincingly as they do. The melodic reverberations that bounce around our tubs and showers are very misleading. Outside those cosy confines, our talent is reduced to its realistic capacities...but the fine singer is never diminished. Chris Montez probably sounds pretty good in the shower--but what happens in the recording booth is something else...The sound is unique, individual...a premier sound of casual discipline, effortless phrasing and contemporary good humor, blended with Nick DeCaro's sparkling arrangements, Chris wails through a broad spectrum of songs and in this album he shows the exceptional balance and taste that make up his repertoire: the smoothness of the tender ballads, the enthusiasm of the up-beat numbers and the honesty of his musical approach. Perk up your ears now and enjoy this exciting new recording from a talent that sounds better out of a shower stall. You'll play it time after time.

Jack Carney-KSFO-San Francisco

...and as we've discovered, the lady pictured on the cover with Chris Montez is young actress/model Erin Gray, who later co-starred in the TV series BUCK ROGERS IN THE 25TH CENTURY as Wilma Deering. She also co-starred in the TV comedy SILVER SPOONS with young Ricky Schroeder.

Harry

I hate to go with the obvious pick, my Time After Time doesn't have much competition here. I love the opening guitar. What A Difference A Day Made might be second best. This lp is not as good as his first one.

A first for matching Montez with arranger Nick De Caro as well as furthering the production of producer Tommy LiPuma and without the direct guidance of Herb Alpert, unlike Chris's debut...

Here is more of a fun-loving direct Pop approach and even an early '60's Malt Shop feel... Montez's own "Elena" and the last track "Just Friends" as well as the title cut are clear evidence of this...

Herb Alpert seemed to step back and let Chris assert himself with this newfound backing and really soar on his own... Although "Time After Time" seems to be a "leftover" from that first album, or else an attempt to make the second album produced by the "A" in the A&M record label ownership, along with LiPuma who produced with Alpert, Chris's first hits, "The More I See You and "Call Me"...

"Elena", however is an attempt at merging Montez's talents with Phil Spector collaborator, Marshall Leib...

By now, the Pop music world was suddenly turning another corner with many artists turning standards such as "Goin' Out Of My Head", "What A Difference A Day Makes", "Our Day Will Come" and "Sunny" into hits, while inventing its own original song craft, such as The Beatles' "Yesterday" and Sam The Sham & The Pharaohs' "Little Red Riding Hood" into interpretations of the same breed...

And the Brasilian beat of "Keep Talkin'" and "The Girl From Ipenema" have also been transformed into classic American Pop, with the title of the former changed from "Felicidade" by João Donato to "Keep Talkin'", while maintaining the same subject matter, merely given English lyrics...

A second effort that is as good and judiciously handled with the new approach as the first album was and easily gives way to the more extended production and even more tenacious arrangements of what the third album will bring...

Dave

My memory of this is that it's one of the albums my girlfriend took a hammer to after an argument. Along with Trini Lopez and a Trombones Unlimited. A high-spirited girl to say the least. She's long gone and I've always missed that album.

bob knack said:
...it's one of the albums my girlfriend took a hammer to after an argument...

Sheesh! Glad to know I'm not the only one in the world hwo's had a psycho-b!tch girlfriend in the past! :laugh:

--Mr Bill
happily married to the (relatively) unpsycho Mrs Bill for nearly 20 years now...

I was torn between the title track, "Li'l Reg Riding Hood" and "Goin' Out Of My Head." I went ewith the latter, since it's one of my favorite old standards. NOt as jazzy as the B66 version, but still, I like it.

When I first found this on LP in the months before I joined the Navy (way back in 1978) I had just heard Sam Sham and The Pharoahs' version of "Riding Hood." To me, Montez's version (which I prefer) I thought sounded like a version on Prozac (or whatever drug had similar qualities back in '78 -- quaaludes?).

I managed to find this on CD pn my visit to Japan just prior to my transfer to USS Blue Ridge. FOund it in a shop called Lucky Records which my good friend and fellow Japan Cornerite Yokosuka Mike introduced me to... (Thanks, Mike!)

--Mr. Bill

bob knack said:
...one of the albums my girlfriend took a hammer to after an argument. Along with Trini Lopez...
I've got a sledge hammer she can borrow for the double-LP sets.

JO said:
bob knack said:
...one of the albums my girlfriend took a hammer to after an argument. Along with Trini Lopez...
I've got a sledge hammer she can borrow for the double-LP sets.

Hmmmmm..., Trini Lopez singing "If I Had A Hammer" immediately comes to mind...!

Dave

--Who, looking back, was all-along much better off being chiefly "un-attatched" during his record collecting and Disc-overing stage... No telling what some of those "things" I met and got matched up with might'a done to my music--'cept they were NOT into anything I liked, listened to, or collected, ruining any other kind of potential with 'em that I could'a had...! :sad:

Another A&M Ochre era classic I bought unheard. Paid $5 for my West German A&M/Deutsche Grammophon Gesellschaft pressing. And it is a superb LP in all aspects. Demonstration worthy sonics. And not a bad track on it. I love Chris Montez' recordings so much, I don't need to hear a note before I buy one. They've been all fine. A great LP. Try it, I think you will like it. Ochre era A&M almost never lets us down.

While I understand why "Time After Time" is the logical choice, I prefer Frankie Ford's 1960 version with the big band arrangement: more fun and dynamic, breathed new life into an old chestnut. Chris and the gang pretty much play it too straight here for my liking. Which is why I picked the really offbeat "Li'l Red Riding Hood." Shame on me, I know, but I still prefer the young, enthusiastic Montez of Monogram over the laid back adult of A&M, though the contrasts made for a great comp Mr. Hoffman did many moons ago (and which every Montez fan must have).

:ed:

Back
Top Bottom