🎄 Holidays! Christmas Album remaster*

Status
Not open for further replies.

AM Matt

Forum Undertaker
The Christmas Album gets a 2015 reissue. When I went to the Amazon website, it seems that it doesn't show the Herb Alpert Signature Series logo (when Shout! Factory reissued it in 2005) on the left side. :confused: Matt Clark Sanford, MI

All of the Shout! Factory titles are apparently officially out of print. The Shout! page lists them as "not available" and each one there says "out of print". Amazon has some stock left on some titles, and "temporarily out of stock" on others. I hope everyone got their full set of these. They may enter the world of collectibles.

Also notice Herb's current recently redesigned site and you'll find NO Tijuana Brass music at present.

Harry

"Whipped Cream" and "Christmas Album" will be coming out together in a few weeks. Herb Alpert Presents will be the ONLY label for further releases and re-issues world wide. Albums, CDs and HD will be released. More TJB and possibly some Lani albums are due approximately in Feb. 2016.

Here is hoping some of the titles (Warm, BAC etc) make it to CD release this time.

I wonder if Whipped Cream and the Christmas album are newly remastered or straight reissues from the Shout Factory campaign.

All of the Shout! Factory titles are apparently officially out of print.

Almost. I just looked at the ordering website where I used to order music and most of the TJB's from Shout! aren't listed anymore. The Shout! titles they DO list are Lonely Bull, SRO, Sounds Like, Whipped Cream, Whipped Cream ReWhipped, Rise, and Fandango. Of those titles, the TJB ones have "last day to return" dates in 2012, and all the rest (including ReWhipped) have return dates of 1/18/2016. So that would be the end of the Shout! program.

I'm glad I got my full set plus one set in "still sealed" condition.

Almost. I just looked at the ordering website where I used to order music and most of the TJB's from Shout! aren't listed anymore. The Shout! titles they DO list are Lonely Bull, SRO, Sounds Like, Whipped Cream, Whipped Cream ReWhipped, Rise, and Fandango. Of those titles, the TJB ones have "last day to return" dates in 2012, and all the rest (including ReWhipped) have return dates of 1/18/2016. So that would be the end of the Shout! program.

I'm glad I got my full set plus one set in "still sealed" condition.
Same here Mike - one set to play and a sealed set !

I'll be up for vinyl and hi-res downloads. I just wonder if the vinyl will be cut from original analog tapes, and not cut from digital. If it's the latter, I'll buy one or two but won't bother with others, not if I'd also get hi-res versions.

I just don't know if I'm in for any more of these. I mean, I've got to be one of the biggest fans on the planet, but really, do I need another copy of CHRISTMAS ALBUM or WHIPPED CREAM? With CHRISTMAS ALBUM I've got the original LP, the white-framed re-issue version on LP, the CD version from A&M, the Spectrum-issue from 2000 called "at Christmas", and the Shout CD. I've listened and compared tracks and really, I can't hear any difference. The version from 2005 on Shout sounds just as good as the ancient A&M CD, maybe a touch louder.

So I'm gonna have to rely on you guys to provide honest reviews as to whether these new issues contain anything that I "have to have."

Of course, if WARM or BRASS ARE COMIN' or even VOLUME 2 shows up on CD, then I'll be in for those, but I fear that if WARM does go to CD, it'll be the degraded version of "The Sea Is My Soil" on there. Vinyl? Been there done that. I recognize that vinyl has a warmth that isn't there on CD, but really, with my aging ears, I don't hear much difference. Yeah, when an original album with fresh masters is compared with a degraded-tape from today, I surely hear that.

We'll see - but I haven't pre-ordered anything yet.

Harry

I think that the presentation and marketing of Herb's back catalog has more to do with attracting new fans from younger generations and to making the music available globally to foreign markets. Availability of Herb's music in foreign territories bas been pretty much spotty. Now that Herb has his own label again and we have talked about the Friday world release dates, the frustrations of many trying to purchase from overseas should be mostly gone.

For those of us who have been fans from the beginning, I think that the attraction would be to fill in any missing titles, replace original worn out records or tapes, or upgrade to a higher quality format, such as CD or HD. And the readily available legitimate releases, should help to knock out those who sell Herb's titles at ridiculously high levels on auction sites, and those offering bootleg and other unauthorized releases originating from dubious source material!

I'm really looking forward to the upcoming releases.

Depending on titles, I'll definitely upgrade the vinyl that comes along. Even more so if it's an AAA mastering. Funny thing about vinyl, too, is that there is something about passing digitally sourced masters through the cutting chain that IMHO improves the sound. That Beatles stereo box is sourced from what essentially released on that "apple" USB stick (44.1kHz/24-bit) yet the vinyl still has the edge in smoothness.

For me, the chance to get the digital formats in high res format is what I've been waiting for. HDTracks has been adding hundreds of titles in recent months, and popularity is growing. It gives many who don't like MP3s the chance to get something that is not in a highly degraded sound format. :thumbsup:

Some of those Shout! remasters don't sound so hot, like S.R.O. If @badazz did the remastering, or for that matter, anyone else who cares about the sound quality, it will be an improvement over the older titles. How much of an improvement? It will depend on the title of course.

Here's hoping Warm, BAC, Summertime, You Smile and Coney Island make it CD at last.

I wonder if Herb would be so inclined to acquire the Baja Marimba Band catalog and release it?

I have the Japanese CD album replicas of Fresh Air and TWTD, but it would be nice to have some additional releases.

Universal owns all of the Baja Marimba catalog that was on A&M. And then there's the question of what condition the masters are in.

Harry

I just ordered the christmas album from best buy web site at 9.99 but it says whipped cream will be released November 20, 2015 and the vinyl version will be $22.99

bob

I got the remastered christmas album in todays mail the sticker on the front says remastered from the original analog tapes. so who ever did the remastering as I am hearing it twicked it a little. on my favorite things the cymbel is clearer.

it comes in a digic pack has the original picture as the album did on the back and when you open it it has the poem and the cd label is just like the old A&M orce but it is more of a dark yellow.but it has herb alpert presents. so I love it how the

remastered it. to me it is a higher end and better separation.

bob

thanks steve question steve when I called best buy order line to order the christmas cd i was going to buy whipped cream but the person said as it said on there order web site whipped cream was going to be released next month on the 23, you know any thing about that?

bob

Universal owns all of the Baja Marimba catalog that was on A&M. And then there's the question of what condition the masters are in.

Also consider the fire at Universal--the masters may not even be around anymore. That and the market for BMB is so small that it would only make sense if they were downloads.

thanks steve question steve when I called best buy order line to order the christmas cd i was going to buy whipped cream but the person said as it said on there order web site whipped cream was going to be released next month on the 23, you know any thing about that?

bob

That info would NOT be correct, because the release date would be on a Friday - that's not the case in November.

on the best buy web site to order items, when you would type in herb alpert whipped cream and it will come up. the new release does not have rosemary and blueberry park they have listed the shout and that one does it is uner overview I thought it would unless herb wanted to keep it just like the original from 1965.

bob

I don't know anyone who's bought one yet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom