🎄 Holidays! Christmas Music 2020

These Irish songs reduce me to tears...my great-grandfather came across the Atlantic at the age of 7. Thank you for posting.

It seems that just about every year, some Christmas song that's at least new to me, surfaces. Given the circumstances of this strange year, 2020, I've actually not been all that active in listening to Christmas music. I would have thought that Christmas music would have been welcome, but somehow, I just never got into it at all. We didn't take any long drives, so my annual Christmas jukebox CD didn't need to get played or a new one made, yet somehow, through all of that, three Christmas songs that I'd never heard before got through to me.

1. Andrea Corr - "Begin Again" - from a four-song EP that she released. It has a waltz tempo on the main song overlaid atop a 4/4 chorus of "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen".

2. Taylor Swift - "Christmas Tree Farm" - apparently released last year, this toe-tapper sounds like it might have come from the old Phil Spector school of Christmas songs.

3. Chris Rea - "Driving Home For Christmas" - This one hit me as I was listening to a very small radio station down here. They play a wild variety of stuff - and most of it's pretty good. This song popped out at me, and I'd never heard it before.

I would have thought that Christmas music would have been welcome, but somehow, I just never got into it at all.
The only thing I've played this year was the Charlie Brown Xmas album at dinner tonight. And even that was a stretch. I played my Bill Evans Pandora station in the kitchen while I worked on dinner (which features all sorts of small piano combos).

I thought Dolly Parton : A Holly Dolly Christmas was a good new Christmas album. Not as good as her 1984 Once Upon A Christmas Christmas duet album with Kenny Rogers (or its 1997 re-edited version).

It seems that just about every year, some Christmas song that's at least new to me, surfaces. 3. Chris Rea - "Driving Home For Christmas" - This one hit me as I was listening to a very small radio station down here. They play a wild variety of stuff - and most of it's pretty good. This song popped out at me, and I'd never heard it before. 1. Andrea Corr - "Begin Again" - from a four-song EP that she released. It has a waltz tempo on the main song overlaid atop a 4/4 chorus of "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen".
I try to listen to Chris Rea's 'Driving Home for Christmas' each year, when I drive home for Christmas, (a three hour drive). (I didn't manage to play it, this year). It's a bright, happy, light, fluid sort of Christmas song with an uplifting keyboard part. I've liked Chris Rea's music since 'Fool If You Think It's Over' was a hit in 1978 and since he did a promotional tour here in 1979, performing 'Diamonds', which became a hit. The said 'Driving Home for Christmas' was also played on the radio around when it was released in about 1986, but I haven't heard it over the air for many years.

Back
Top Bottom