Chromecast Audio on sale

Rudy

¡Que siga la fiesta!
Staff member
Site Admin
The lowest price I've ever seen on a Chromecast Audio is right now. The Google Store and Best Buy both have it for $15 each, normally $35. The cheapest I've seen it previously is $25 each. I am using three in the house at the moment, and have just ordered another two.

I'm sure some here have heard of Chromecast, which is an HDMI-based wireless TV dongle which you can "cast" content to, anything from YouTube, Netflix, Hulu, etc. to your current Chrome browser tab.

The Chromecast Audio (CCA) is similar, but does the same for music apps. You can cast your Pandora, Spotify, Qobuz, TuneIn Radio, Deezer, etc. app to the CCA. On Android, too, you can use BubbleUPnP to send music from your home media server to your Chromecast. Volume can be controlled by the app, or, you can use the Google Home app (on Android) to control volume and bass/treble output as well. (Using Google Home, you can pair two, three or several CCAs together as a "group" and they will play in sync.) These connect to your wireless home network, not via bluetooth.

Chromecast works as a renderer and end point. You don't actually stream video content from your phone; rather, your phone/tablet sends the instructions to your Chromecast so that it does the streaming, and your phone/tablet is still usable for other things.

The CCA has a 3.5mm output which is the very popular smaller sized headphone jack that most devices have these days. It is a dual-purpose jack. You can plug in a 3.5mm audio cable to connect to your audio system with two RCA plugs on the other end, or, some speaker systems have their own 3.5mm jack which you can use a 3.5mm cable with the same on each end. The other output via this same jack is an optical digital output--you can buy an optical cable with this 3.5mm plug on one end and a standard optical digital (S/PDIF) plug on the other, which will plug into many audio components like receivers, soundbars and DACs.

They are handy to have around the house if you play a lot of digital music or streaming. I keep one in the garage, and use one for 2-3 hours in the kitchen every day. A third I have connected via its optical digital output to my Oppo 105's optical input.

Best Buy has some still in stock:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/google-chromecast-audio-black/4532100.p?skuId=4532100

Google's sale runs until the end of February, and includes the standard Chromecast video for $25 and Chromecast Ultra (which handles 4k video) for $49.

Chromecast Audio - Chromecast for Speakers - Google Store

Bed Bath & Beyond:

Google Chromecast Audio in Black

Walmart:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Google-Chromecast-Audio/46784941

The lowest price I've ever seen on a Chromecast Audio is right now. The Google Store and Best Buy both have it for $15 each, normally $35. The cheapest I've seen it previously is $25 each. I am using three in the house at the moment, and have just ordered another two.

I'm sure some here have heard of Chromecast, which is an HDMI-based wireless TV dongle which you can "cast" content to, anything from YouTube, Netflix, Hulu, etc. to your current Chrome browser tab.

The Chromecast Audio (CCA) is similar, but does the same for music apps. You can cast your Pandora, Spotify, Qobuz, TuneIn Radio, Deezer, etc. app to the CCA. On Android, too, you can use BubbleUPnP to send music from your home media server to your Chromecast. Volume can be controlled by the app, or, you can use the Google Home app (on Android) to control volume and bass/treble output as well. (Using Google Home, you can pair two, three or several CCAs together as a "group" and they will play in sync.) These connect to your wireless home network, not via bluetooth.

Chromecast works as a renderer and end point. You don't actually stream video content from your phone; rather, your phone/tablet sends the instructions to your Chromecast so that it does the streaming, and your phone/tablet is still usable for other things.

The CCA has a 3.5mm output which is the very popular smaller sized headphone jack that most devices have these days. It is a dual-purpose jack. You can plug in a 3.5mm audio cable to connect to your audio system with two RCA plugs on the other end, or, some speaker systems have their own 3.5mm jack which you can use a 3.5mm cable with the same on each end. The other output via this same jack is an optical digital output--you can buy an optical cable with this 3.5mm plug on one end and a standard optical digital (S/PDIF) plug on the other, which will plug into many audio components like receivers, soundbars and DACs.

They are handy to have around the house if you play a lot of digital music or streaming. I keep one in the garage, and use one for 2-3 hours in the kitchen every day. A third I have connected via its optical digital output to my Oppo 105's optical input.

Best Buy has some still in stock:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/google-chromecast-audio-black/4532100.p?skuId=4532100

Google's sale runs until the end of February, and includes the standard Chromecast video for $25 and Chromecast Ultra (which handles 4k video) for $49.

Chromecast Audio - Chromecast for Speakers - Google Store

Bed Bath & Beyond:

Google Chromecast Audio in Black

Walmart:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Google-Chromecast-Audio/46784941
I already have my Chromecast device and after a year and a half it's still working great for me it's one great substitute for Cable and satellite

I already have my Chromecast device and after a year and a half it's still working great for me it's one great substitute for Cable and satellite
I have one of the first-generation Chromecasts on a TV that isn't used much, but, the NVidia Shield on my TV has the Chromecast feature built in. A lot of "cord cutters" are using their smart TVs or devices like Chromecast, Roku, etc. to fill in the gaps. I'm lucky enough to live in a major TV market, so I use a couple of antennas outside to pick up stations (one points west to most of our broadcast antennas, the other points south towards Canada). I don't miss out on much either. :wink:

Cable TV prices have gone beyond insane. Surprisingly, I've never had cable TV in my life--I do use the local provider for Internet, but never had it for TV. I was an early adopter of DSS in the mid 90s (DirecTV and USSB), and back then the package with all basic channels was only $29.95, and never changed up until I dropped it in 2004 or 2005. Now, they have nothing like it--it's just as expensive as cable.

I hope anyone reading this decided to get one of the Chromecast Audio (CCA) devices, as they are now officially discontinued. They were sold out as of a week ago. Just this past Wednesday, the Google Store had put up some remaining stock, but those had also sold out within hours.

I managed to pick up two prior to the holidays, and I grabbed another four this past Wednesday. I have a few pending projects where I want to install these so I can add streaming capabilities.

One of these is going into the Grundig tabletop radio I picked up this past summer--the only cosmetic change I might make in the radio is to remove the "PU" input jack on the back and mount it inside the radio, so I can connect the CCA inside.

Back
Top Bottom