Chronological List of Recordings

Mark-T

I'm just curious if anyone here has ever tried to do a chronological listing of the duo's recordings.
If so, I'd love to see it.
If not, I would love to have this be part of anything that is offered for the 50th.
Certainly, it would prove very interesting to read!

It would be difficult, if not impossible to compile unless you had access to the multitracks boxes or other studio archival records which would list the recording dates for each track.

Will Randy's new book provide the answer to that which you seek? We shall wait and see.

I think the earliest Carpenters song that has been released is Caravan, as that's from about 1956, while the Mook single of We'll Be Together/Don't Tell Me is from a year earlier.

It would be difficult, if not impossible to compile unless you had access to the multitracks boxes or other studio archival records which would list the recording dates for each track.

True, but it might be interesting to have a go, since we do know some things. . .. . like e.g.

1)I'll Never Fall In Love Again/ Love is Surrender were the first things tracked for CTY in Jan' 70.
2)Solitaire/Trying To Get Feeling were done in Jan '75
3)Aurora/Eventide were recorded on Agnes and Harold's Anniversary in '75

I think the earliest Carpenters song that has been released is Caravan, as that's from about 1956, while the Mook single of We'll Be Together/Don't Tell Me is from a year earlier.

I believe their version of Caravan recorded in the living room at Fiddler was recording in '65 and not '56...

I'll Never Fall In Love Again/ Love is Surrender were the first things tracked for CTY in Jan' 70.

Actually, the rhythm tracks on both of these were recorded in November of '69 and the sweetening was not done until July of '70.

Does the song "Caravan" as done by the duo have its own thread (I searched but could not find)? Lately, I've been fascinated by this recording. Is that Karen sneezing at the beginning? I could swear I also hear sniffling and someone laughing.

Actually, the rhythm tracks on both of these were recorded in November of '69 and the sweetening was not done until July of '70.
Chris...You gotta spend an afternoon putting these dates on the site....Seriously, Id kill for this stuff.

Had to add Caravan and Iced Tea to my Carpenters Jazzy Side play list on iTunes just now. Both great cuts.

Chris...You gotta spend an afternoon putting these dates on the site....Seriously, Id kill for this stuff.

Hahaha well if it doesn't end up in a book or someone else beating me to it, I just might! I'm impressed with how close you were with the dates actually. There were a few others cut in January that we mentioned here so that may have been where you got the info. But Love is Surrender and INFILA were definitely both recorded on the same night, this is correct :)

I would love to see the chronological list. I know these songs were a 'work in progress,' over days or weeks (or even months), but the main point of interest for every song is "when did Karen lay down this lead?" So I would love to see a chronological list with dates, based on when Karen actually recorded in the studio.

I would love to see the chronological list. I know these songs were a 'work in progress,' over days or weeks (or even months), but the main point of interest for every song is "when did Karen lay down this lead?" So I would love to see a chronological list with dates, based on when Karen actually recorded in the studio.

I second this! :)

Though it would be painstaking work, I believe we have the "brain trust" in this forum to assemble this...and what a magnificent "gift" this would be. I'm but a novice looking in from the outside.

Does the song "Caravan" as done by the duo have its own thread (I searched but could not find)? Lately, I've been fascinated by this recording. Is that Karen sneezing at the beginning? I could swear I also hear sniffling and someone laughing.

I have been amused by that huge sneeze for a few years now and I’m dying to know who the culprit was. I just heard it again today and laughed out loud in public.

An entire chronology would be incredibly fascinating.
Until then, the closest appears to be the cd set From The Top, as Richard Carpenter writes:
"67 selections presented chronologically from 1965-1982."

I have been amused by that huge sneeze for a few years now and I’m dying to know who the culprit was. I just heard it again today and laughed out loud in public.

I’m pretty certain it’s Karen. In fact you can hear her giggling at one point a little further down the track ☺️

An entire chronology would be incredibly fascinating.
Until then, the closest appears to be the cd set From The Top, as Richard Carpenter writes:
"67 selections presented chronologically from 1965-1982."

Then the ESSENTIAL COLLECTION would do better with 81 selections arranged in the same chronological order.

Back
Top Bottom