Clark's Teaberry Shuffle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Numero Cinco

While others debate the chronology of "Last Tango in Paris," I have a similar question: Which came first:

1. A single, "(The) Mexican Shuffle";
2. An album, South of the Border, which included that track;
3. Or a commission to Herb Alpert and Sol Lake by Clark's Chewing Gum, for a catchy track in its Teabury advertising campaign?

This, I suggest, isn't merely trivial. If my memory serves, it was that television (and radio?) spot that kept a floundering TJB in the nation's ears, until "A Taste of Honey" exploded on the scene.

I believe the "Teaberry Shuffle" came first, then the single, then the album.

Yes, IMHO, it did rescue the TJB from being a novelty act. One great lucky break, I think!

Now my memory may be fuzzy, but I thought that the Clark people discovered the Mexican Shuffle single, and Herb re-recorded it for the commercial. I seem to remember that the commercial had more of a "Whipped Cream-era" TJB sound to it... I remember being somewhat disappointed upon hearing the SOUTH OF THE BORDER album for the first time, that the song didn't sound the same as it had on TV. (not as punchy, or something.)

Of course, all this DID occur in the sixties.... :confused:

I used to have a sound bite of that commercial...can't find it anymore. :sad:

According to Herb when he was on the Bob Costas show, the Clark-Teaberry people had heard "Mexican Shuffle" on the South Of The Border album, and asked Herb to do a version for their commercial. At first Herb was reluctant, but he said they did it with a lot of integrity so he okayed the deal. The TJB sound took off afterwards.

BTW, they played the entire commercial on the Costas show that night.

Capt. Bacardi

First, I apologize for misspelling the name of Clark's once-famous chewing gum.

Captain Bacardi: According to Herb when he was on the Bob Costas show . . .

I don't suppose a transcript of the Costas/Alpert interview is readily available. That would make interesting reading for those like myself who missed it.

Rudy said:
I used to have a sound bite of that commercial...can't find it anymore. :sad:

It's on the bootleg Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass LIVE and Other Delights...

--Mr Bill

Next time you fix the garbage disposal, UNPLUG IT FIRST! :D

No "bootleg" here. I remember having it as an MP3 file that we used on our Live365 broadcast.

Numero Cinco said:
I don't suppose a transcript of the Costas/Alpert interview is readily available. That would make interesting reading for those like myself who missed it.

I have the show itself on video and just happened to watch it the other day, but there's no written transcript - and I'm not about to type it all out! :wink:

Capt. Bacardi

My memory is also fuzzy, but I know I saw that commercial during 1966-67 or thereabouts, and I knew it was Herb & TJB. But the kicker is that I didn't actually get a copy of SOTB and hear the real thing until spring of 1968, so the TV version always felt like the "authentic" one to me.

For some reason my bro and I acquired all the TJB albums out of order after getting the first two in 1965. One result of that is I don't have a built-in feeling for the progression of Herb's sound from Lonely Bull to Beat of the Brass (when I finally got on track). So to me the evolution of the sound is very seamless, though I certainly recognized that Herb's later sound had less "Ameriachi" and more of a pop jazz groove.

Anyway, I'd sure like to see that commercial again! As I recall, the gum itself was not that attractive--sort of a pallid cinnamon flavor.

Mike A

i only have one 30-sec recording of the commercial...it's got
flutes on it, maybe that's the "punchier" element...may also
be speeded up?...

did they stop using herb's version & replace it with
a generic?...the ep clark's gum issued has 4 versions,
none of them herb...they eventually used it to promote other
brands of gum...in fact, both the t-bones & the johnny mann
singers recorded the "cinnamint shuffle"...its the same tune tho...

BTW, teaberry is flavored with wintergreen, which is
also called in some places "mountain tea" and
"checkerberry"...---stolf---

Old thread - revived to add:

I've noticed in our local Cracker Barrel restaurant that their gift shop, which sells all kinds of retro candies/sodas/snacks, stocks and sells Clark's Teaberry Gum. I just bought a pack of 15 sticks for $1.19. It says it's distributed by the Clark Gum Company, Buffalo, NY, and that the gum is made in Mexico. It tastes just like I remember it...

teaberry.jpg

http://www.candy.org/?p=183

Harry

It's surprising how many "old-school" candy items are still available. There are sites like nostalgiccandy.com and groovycandies.com, plus the above-mentioned vermontcountrystore.com, that all have stuff you thought was discontinued decades ago. It's not necessarily discontinued -- it's just that stores only have so much space when contending with (for example) 16 different kinds of Reese's Peanue Butter Cup-related candies.

I sure wish the soundtrack of the above commercial was available in CD quality sound. The verses are very interesting -- they sound like a hybrid of the TJB and the Baja Marimba Band (you can hear the marimba and flute playing along with Herb).

Randy likely has them. He did tell me that they have The Union Oil Song - and it would be on the new web page soon.

First, I apologize for misspelling the name of Clark's once-famous chewing gum.

Captain Bacardi: According to Herb when he was on the Bob Costas show . . .

Herb was on Later With Bob Costas, which aired 10/9/89. It may well be appearing soon on Herb new web site. :wink:

hi guys how you all doing? I have the video of later with Bob Costa,and other one I would like to see be released is from the first tjb special the song magic trumpet with the flute. with the kids scene.
bob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom