Classic Tim Weisberg Favorites From A&M And Way Beyond......

Bobberman

I have always Enjoyed Tim Weisberg's Flute playing and his many arrangements and I thought I'd start a thread Devoted to his many works I first heard his "Rainbow City" track on the Nadia's theme compilation which started me buying his A&M Lps ( starting with 1975's Listen to the city where Rainbow City was originally featured) as well as his albums on United artists. MCA .Cypress and Fahrenheit ( I lost track after his 1999 compilation Time Traveler) every album always had at least a standout song or two for example on his 1971 self titled debut the tracks "Sunshine in her Hair" and "Nights in white satin" stood out among a few and On His 1981 Release "Travelin Light" on MCA the whole second side was my favorite starting with my top Standout pick "King Of Cool" written by Future MCA artist John Jarvis along with co writer J.C Crowley. Those are only a couple examples for me out of many but "How About the Rest of you fellow cornerites?" What are your Favorite Tim Weisberg Albums and songs?

It was probably 1975 when I first heard Tim Weisberg's "Street Party" on the radio station I was working for. It's a great instrumental, and I was lucky enough to find it contained on an A&M FOREPLAY sampler #18, a nice 12" pressing that was a great addition to my collection. Owning that, and also his album with Dan Fogelberg, TWIN SONS OF DIFFERENT MOTHERS on Full Moon, plus his track on the NADIA'S THEME album, I was pretty much set - or so I thought.

Back in May or so of this year, another thread mentioned Tim Weisberg and I dug out that FOREPLAY sampler and delighted in hearing "Street Party" all over again. It's one of those soaring tracks that just grabs me. Spurred on by that experience, I spent the next couple of months delving deep into all of Tim Weisberg's A&M output. With only a greatest hits-type album from A&M on CD, I needed to find the rest on vinyl. With the assistance of folks on eBay and Discogs, I came up with a full collection of his A&M albums and have digitized and needledropped all of them.

Though I found a few nice tracks in all of his output, "Street Party" remains at the top of the list for me.

Twin sons of Different mothers (with Fogelberg) is also a favorite and I also enjoy the sequel "No Resemblance whatsoever" sadly Fogelberg and Weisberg had a huge falling out after that ( if I remember correctly Tim Sued Him for fraud claiming he wasn't paid")but nevertheless I still enjoy their stellar collaborations their version of Jessie Colin young's Songbird to me is the best as it was the first version of it I heard I'm glad you were able to score yourself some Weisberg Goodies.

Twin sons of Different mothers (with Fogelberg) is also a favorite and I also enjoy the sequel "No Resemblance whatsoever" sadly Fogelberg and Weisberg had a huge falling out after that ( if I remember correctly Tim Sued Him for fraud claiming he wasn't paid")but nevertheless I still enjoy their stellar collaborations their version of Jessie Colin young's Songbird to me is the best as it was the first version of it I heard I'm glad you were able to score yourself some Weisberg Goodies.
I have always enjoyed both of the Fogelberg/Weisberg albums, and I also have a few of Tim's solo albums as well.

I used to have a copy of SMILE! THE BEST OF TIM WEISBERG, which sampled his A&M output. Unfortunately, none of those records really grabbed me. NIGHT RIDER was ok stylistically, but I haven't felt inspired to revisit it too often over the years.

That being said, the 1985 album HIGH RISK was a stellar record imho. And my all time favorite Tim Weisberg album was TRAVELIN' LIGHT from 1981.

Last edited:
I like the "Twin Sons" album (my favorite song being "Since You've Asked") but I was never a huge fan of Weisberg's solo work. I guess it was too same-y for me. I did have a song or two that stood out, but I've never gotten the CDs of any of his music. I guess my favorite flute music will always be that played by the Baja Marimba Band.

I have always enjoyed both of the Fogelberg/Weisberg albums, and I also have a few of Tim's solo albums as well.

I used to have a copy of SMILE! THE BEST OF TIM WEISBERG, which sampled his A&M output. Unfortunately, none of those records really grabbed me. NIGHT RIDER was ok stylistically, but I haven't felt inspired to revisit it too often over the years.

That being said, the 1985 album HIGH RISK was a stellar record imho. And my all time favorite Tim Weisberg album was TRAVELIN' LIGHT from 1981.
High Risk And Travelin Light were Excellent and don't forget later in the decade Outrageous Temptations was for me a Standout classic As Smooth Jazz radio was in its Heyday I guess Weisberg is an acquired taste for some I myself always found a few Standouts in every album I could make a few CDs worth of my own best of ( which I'm sure several have done with many artists)

Back
Top Bottom