🥂 50th CLASSICS SERIES, VOL. 19 - Lani Hall (CD 2517)

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
61jpaCqTu9L._AA300_.jpg

CLASSIC VOLUME 19 - Lani Hall (1987)
A&M CD 2517
Produced by: Herb Alpert, Lani Hall, Sergio Mendes, Allee Willis
Track Listing:
  1. Send In The Clowns (2:21) – from SWEET BIRD
  2. Hello It’s Me (3:34) – from HELLO ITS ME
  3. Mister Blue (Misty Blue) (3:27) – from SWEET BIRD
  4. Happy Woman (Happy Man) (2:34) – from HELLO ITS ME
  5. I Don’t Want You To Go (4:42) – from BLUSH
  6. Vincent (5:56) – from SUN DOWN LADY
  7. We Could Be Flying (3:55) – from SUN DOWN LADY
  8. Love Song (2:55) – from SUN DOWN LADY
  9. Come What May (4:33) – from BLUSH
  10. Early Mornin’ Strangers (3:38) – from SWEET BIRD
  11. How Can I Tell You (2:57) – from SUN DOWN LADY
  12. So Long (2:55) – from DOUBLE OR NOTHING
  13. Midnight Lovers (3:28) – from COLLECTIBLES
  14. To Know (4:19) – from DOUBLE OR NOTHING
  15. The Moon Is All Alone (Like Me) (3:21) – from SWEET BIRD
  16. Never Say Never Again (3:09) – from COLLECTIBLES

It's a fine set for Lani, and while well-filled out in content, it's only lacking depth (though the more adventurous tracks are what you buy the original albums for, if you can find them!)...

-- Dave

This was the first CD I ever found of Lani Hall's, and as it turned out, one of the few ever issued.

Though I've never seen one, this album was also issued on cassette. I was surprised to find a picture on eBay years ago:

laniclassics.jpg

I also recall stumbling onto the fact that this may have been released somewhere in the Far East as a different "CLASSICS" number - not 19.

Harry

While we always stocked the Lani Hall titles in the store (back in the good old days when music would actually sell), Classics is the only one of hers that I actually ever sold. The rest, I either bought for myself or returned unsold to the distributor. Classics sat there for many weeks, until one day some guy was looking at it and asking about it, and I told him about Brasil '66 (which he'd never heard of) and he asked what "style" the music was. It so happened that I didn't have any Lani records in the store at the time so I couldn't give him a demo. I just told him that Lani was somewhat like Barbra Streisand, but a bit more on the pop-music side. So he bought the CD, then a few hours later brought it back saying he hated it, and asking if I would let him trade for something else. I decided at that point to add it to my own collection, and that's where it is today. His loss.

It's a decent collection, although I think two of the four tracks they picked from Sun Down Lady were weak ("How Can I Tell You" and "Vincent"). I would have selected "Ocean Song" and "Come Down In Time." I wished they'd included "Banquet" from Hello It's Me. Again...I think that's a stronger track than "Happy Woman (Happy Man)." Just personal taste, I guess.

It's a decent collection, although I think two of the four tracks they picked from Sun Down Lady were weak ("How Can I Tell You" and "Vincent"). I would have selected "Ocean Song" and "Come Down In Time." I wished they'd included "Banquet" from Hello It's Me. Again...I think that's a stronger track than "Happy Woman (Happy Man)." Just personal taste, I guess.

"How Can I Tell You" was ok, but I agree that "Banquet" from HELLO IT'S ME would've made a nice replacement for "Vincent". Don't remember "Ocean Song", but "Come Down In Time" would've also nicely replaced "Happy Woman (Happy Man)". A few other changes I would've made include:
+ "Where's Your Angel?" from BLUSH ( - "Early Mornin Strangers" from SWEET BIRD);
+ "Who's That Guy?" from ALBANY PARK ( - "To Know" from DOUBLE OR NOTHING)

Back
Top Bottom