🥂 50th CLASSICS SERIES, VOL. 2 - Carpenters (CD 6750)

Do you own YESTERDAY ONCE MORE or CLASSICS or both?

• Of the two, I only own YESTERDAY ONCE MORE

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Of the two, I only own CLASSICS VOLUME 2

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • I own both

Votes: 13 59.1%
  • I own neither

Votes: 2 9.1%

• Total voters

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
CLASSICS VOLUME 2
CARPENTERS

9c139833e7a0bf29282b1110.L._AA300_.jpg

Catalog number: CD 6750

Disc 1:
1. Yesterday Once More (1985 remix)
2. Superstar (1985 remix)
3. Rainy Days And Mondays (1985 remix)
4. (Want You) Back In My Life Again
5. Ticket To Ride (1973 version – reversed, segued)
6. Goodbye To Love (1985 version)
7. Bless The Beasts And Children (1985 remix)
8. It's Going To Take Some Time
9. Calling Occupants Of Interplanetary Craft
10. Sweet, Sweet Smile
11. I Won't Last A Day Without You (1974 single mix, slow)
12. For All We Know
13. Touch Me When We're Dancing

Disc 2:
1. There's A Kind Of Hush (All Over The World) (1985 remix)
2. This Masquerade
3. Hurting Each Other (1973 remix)
4. Please Mr. Postman
5. I Need To Be In Love (single length)
6. Make Believe It's Your First Time (single edit)
7. All You Get From Love Is A Love Song (segued)
8. Top Of The World (1973 version)
9. Because We Are In Love (The Wedding Song)
10. We've Only Just Begun (1985 remix)
11. Those Good Old Dreams
12. Sing
13. Only Yesterday (single edit)
14. (They Long To Be) Close To You (single edit)

This album was a straight re-press of the 1985 YESTERDAY ONCE MORE 2-Disc set. When A&M needed an entry for this new CLASSICS series, the set released two years earlier was already viewed as a perfect fit, so with a new title and graphics, the discs were re-released under the CLASSICS banner.

Harry

This album is one I had in the original "Yesterday Once More" version on LP, so I got this to get it in CD format. I don't listen to it much, I prefer my own compilations or the original albums when it comes to Carpenters. Outside of the long version of "Calling Occupants" (which I hate), this is a nice collection.

I could be wrong but...isn't this the only post-"Tan" Carpenters album on domestic A&M not to include the famous logo somewhere?

I've always wondered how the "classics" series numbering was decided. Of course it made sense to make the TJB #1, since they were the first act on A&M and of course the label's owner should be at the head of the line. But...there were lots of other artists in between the TJB and the Carpenters. So...after Herb, is it in order of sales maybe? Number of charted records? Anybody ever seen any correlation there? I was always surprised that Alpert solo was #20, as opposed to #2.

I could be wrong but...isn't this the only post-"Tan" Carpenters album on domestic A&M not to include the famous logo somewhere?

I'll give you a qualified "yes" to that since you specify "domestic A&M." There was a disc released in 1993 called CARPENTERS COLLECTION released by Time-Life and through A&M/PolyGram Special Markets that doesn't have the Carpenters logo on it anywhere. So it's sort-of A&M and it's sort-of not. But that's the only one I could find.

If you expand it to include imports, there still aren't too many more. They'd include a Richard Carpenter-John Bettis COMPOSERS SERIES that's really not strictly Carpenters since it includes "I'm Still not Over You" from Richard's TIME album. Then there's two volumes of A&M's GOLD SERIES, two from a NEW GOLD SERIES, and a plain-old GOLD SERIES, all from Japan. Then there's also the Brazilian O MELHOR DE CARPENTERS without the logo.

Harry

Long been the 'everything set' that both the true fan & novice needs--and what someone like me had once considered the 'only thing Carpenters that I need to hear'...!

There's that bluish-looking PURPLE again (did I get the 'actual color' right this time?) but in this case, and right off the rip, this is for the A&M fanatic, who has probably kept up more with anything Alpert, Mendez & BMB, more than ever considered anything beyond those "founding acts", (who are also represented in this series) before breaking into anything as contemporary as these 'two'...

--Oh, yes, TWO! --As in Richard & Karen, 'VOLUME TWO', and that you get not one, but TWO discs, hence an arguably thorough overview, not to mention a few surprises, such as the "remixed versions" of a few songs, likely to be a sort of a 'gotcha-gimmick', also included here!

I won't go any details of what I often more than vividly dreamed, playing this in my sleep, either...

-- Dave

Had the US and UK versions of "Yesterday Once More" on vinyl before purchasing this when it was released. This was my first exposure to Carpenters on CD, and was pretty special for that. I don't pull it out much now, mostly because I am not fond of "Because We Are in Love" and prefer compilations that exclude it.

I had the British LP and the US LP before I purchased the YESTERDAY ONCE MORE package on CD. I think it was my first two-disc set. Once I saw the repackaged CLASSICS version I knew I had to have it, but couldn't justify the money to spend on it.

Sometime later, I got a package in the mail, addressed to me, from A&M Records in Hollywood. It contained another copy of YESTERDAY ONCE MORE on CD, identical to the one I'd already purchased. I believe that the program director at the radio station had given someone my name out there as I was very interested in the remixes that were present on YOM. Why it took literally years is anyone's guess.

Anyway, a little later still, and I noticed that our AM radio station had a copy of the CLASSICS VOLUME 2. Once I convinced the music director that both titles were identical, I engineered a swap, which is how I ended up with the CLASSICS version too.

Harry

I bought them all on vinyl and CD as soon as they came out. Always preferred the packaging to "Classics Volume 2" over the "Yesterday Once More" version. So happy that "(Want You) Back In My Life Again" is featured so prominently in the track line-up.

I have to admit that I bought "Classics Volume 2" without knowing that it was identical to "Yesterday Once More." While the lineup looked similar, I didn't really read the tracklisting all that carefully in the store -- it was just a new 2-CD Carpenters set at a time when Carpenters material on CD wasn't particularly common.

I was, honestly, quite disappointed when I got home and discovered that there wasn't anything at all new on it. But I did love the album cover photo, and I also bought a number of other CDs in the "A&M Classics" series; for a long time, I believe that was the only Rita Coolidge I had on CD. (She's still woefully underrepresented on CD in the U.S.!)

David

My vote goes to: I only own CLASSICS VOLUME 2

I remember picking this up when it first came out at the record store. It was exciting because it was my first collection, almost like getting a box set, it sure got alot of play back then. However, now I don't manage to pick this up much, never put it in my itunes. I remember one of the things that I liked about this set was being able to quickly turn over the back and see what year the song came out, of course now I know by heart but back then I was alot younger and not so much into dates of when tracks were recorded.

The interesting thing about the cover photo is it's the same photo was used to promote Gold 35th Anniv Edition CD. I bought the poster and had it professional framed, love that pose. Here is a thread where I posted it earlier
http://www.amcorner.com/forum/threads/project-richard-carpenter-is-back.9042/page-3#post-83940

The photo is by Norman Seeff, one of the most important album photogs (really he and Scavullo in the 70s, early 80s), and if you know his greyish, diffused work, you can be sure he never approved this photo.

Back
Top Bottom