🥂 50th CLASSICS SERIES, VOL. 26 - Pablo Cruise (CD 2524)

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
614T3pXtRlL._AA300_.jpg

Classics, Volume 26 - Pablo Cruise [1987]
CD 2524

1. Never Had A Love
2. A Place In The Sun
3. Whatcha Gonna Do?
4. One More Night
5. Atlanta June
6. Cool Love
7. Another World
8. You Might Be Wrong (But It's Alright)
9. Inside-Outside
10. Family Man
11. Don't Want To Live Without It
12. Love Will Find A Way
13. You're Out To Lose
14. Denny
15. Ocean Breeze

The most you need to hear by Pablo, but unlike the covers of the other collections in this series, where's the group photo shot?

More a 'greatest hits', than anything deeper, but then, for a west coast group there has never been much resembling to any other trends of such in the form of ersatz Beach Boy-ing or petrified Bubblegum from these guys...

So their ouvre in original albums for what it's worth is more worth going to, otherwise for just what was only what these guys were notable for in what was more widely heard, this set does pretty much suffice...

-- Dave

Funny, I can't say I've ever run across anyone else my own age (I'm 33) who's ever even heard of these guys, never mind has heard any of their music or is a fan, but ... I love this band! I really do. They tend to get a bad rep from critics simply for being a soft-rock band, but these guys really could play (and Jenkins could actually play a pretty amazing guitar solo when he wanted to!) and, more importantly, write great songs. I don't care what kind of genre a band falls under (my record collection's got something from just about every genre and decade imaginable), so long as they can write good and catchy songs, and this band certainly wasn't lacking in that department, and that in itself has got to be worth something!
I got introduced them via Worlds Away, which I picked at random (for no other reason than it was on A&M and I liked the cover) out of a dollar-bin at Camelot when I was 8 or 9 (I've been an A&M fan since I was three, and no, I swear I'm not making that up! :laugh:) , and I was hooked from there and eventually got all their studio albums, Reflector probably being my favorite in the lot, with Worlds Away my runner-up pick.
Interestingly enough, though, most of my favorites of theirs are actually not on this compilation. My own personal "ultimate Pablo mix" would naturally have "Cool Love," "Whatcha Gonna Do?," "Love Will Find a Way," and "Don't Want to Live Without It," of course ("Cool Love"'s my favorite of the four, with "Love Will Find ..." close behind it), but I'd also include "Not Tonight," "Part of the Game," "I Want You Tonight," "I Go to Rio," "Worlds Away," "Slip Away," "That's When," "Don't Let the Magic Disappear," "Will You/Won't You," "Givin' It Back," and, most of all, "Jenny," which was never a single (though it served as the flip side of "Cool Love") but really should've been and is easily the song of theirs I listen to the most. Some of the non-singles that show up on this compilation, though, are still well-chosen ("Atlanta June" and "Never Had a Love" being perfect examples.)
Any other Pablo buffs here?

- Jeff F.

Back
Top Bottom