🥂 50th CLASSICS SERIES, VOL. 6 - Chuck Mangione (CD 2502)

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
41ioElYYgBL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Classics, Volume 6 - Chuck Mangione [1987]
CD 2502

Track list:

1 Feels So Good
2 Hill Where The Lord Hides
3 Bellavia
4 Fun And Games
5 Children Of Sanchez Theme
6 Land Of Make Believe
7 Give It All You Got
8 Chase The Clouds Away
9 Cannonball Run Theme
10 Doin' Everything With You

Late Morning With Dave Winer-man's Top 10:

10. Only Ten Tracks!

9. The Guinness Book Of World Records for "An Artist's Most Obviously Chosen Songs"!

8. "Feels So Good", #1 in what the buying public would quickly most-recognize, being the first running out of the gate!

7. A 'New Rack' filled w/ these is actually the Cut-Out section!

6. Can anyone say: "Universal 20th Century Masters"????

5. Didn't A&M, itself, put these same songs together in this order on VINYL????

4. Wait for the Backlot Series! You might get the same songs there, too!

3. I think I'll go to a used record store & snatch up Chucks' original LP's instead!

2. Hello 'A&M 25th Anniversary' PURPLE!!!!

1. Who's Chuck Mangione? --Oh, wait! Didn't he do: Duh-duh-duh, Duh-duh, Duh-duh???? No, that was Herb Alpert!

-- Dave

Late Morning With Dave Winer-man's Top 10:

10. Only Ten Tracks!

9. The Guinness Book Of World Records for "An Artist's Most Obviously Chosen Songs"!

8. "Feels So Good", #1 in what the buying public would quickly most-recognize, being the first running out of the gate!

7. A 'New Rack' filled w/ these is actually the Cut-Out section!

6. Can anyone say: "Universal 20th Century Masters"????

5. Didn't A&M, itself, put these same songs together in this order on VINYL????

4. Wait for the Backlot Series! You might get the same songs there, too!

3. I think I'll go to a used record store & snatch up Chucks' original LP's instead!

2. Hello 'A&M 25th Anniversary' PURPLE!!!!

1. Who's Chuck Mangione? --Oh, wait! Didn't he do: Duh-duh-duh, Duh-duh, Duh-duh???? No, that was Herb Alpert!
OW

I HAVE THIS CD ALONG WITH THE BEST OF .....A&M 3282 YES THEY ARE THE SAME EXCEPT CLASSICS HAVE THE ALBUM LENGTH VERSIOND BEST OF HAS THEM AS SINGLE EDITS I HAVE MOST OF MANGIONES DISCOGRAPHY I TRY AVOID COMPILATIONS UNLESS THEY HAVE SONGS I CANT GET ANYOTHER WAY BEST OF CAME OUT IN 1985-86 AND SO I THINK THERE WAS A BIT OF REDUNDANCY GOING ON AT THAT TIME I NOTICE THE SAME WITH CARPENTERS CLASSICS AND YESTERDAY ONCE MORE SAME SONGS IDONT KNOW ABOUT WHETHER THE SAME TRACK CIRCUMSTANCES EXISTED THERE TOO PERHAPS SOMEBODY WHO KNOWS MIGHT COME AND SET ME STRAIGHT IF IM INCORRECT I ALWAYS WELCOME THAT

This compilations provides a pretty good overview of his various sounds at A&M. You have a bit of his earlier sound with orchestra on "Hill Where The Lord Hides" (shades of his recordings on Mercury), the quieter songs like "Bellavia," and the major hit ("Feels So Good") and its successors. Could be a bit longer, but some of the tracks really stretch out time-wise as it is. The "Sanchez" version here is very welcome, as it sums up the theme in short order.

Not as comprehensive as it could be, but still a good starter for those who just want his highlights.

That is true there could never be enough room to feature the whole sanchez theme even the best of cd A&m 3282 has the shorter version and to polygram and umgs credit most if not all of mangione's a&m output except tarantella were on cd

I would like to get a couple more of his recordings on Mercury, as I only have one currently. With Mercury and A&M being part of UMG, it would actually make for a nice box set in the future.

This is another of the Classics CDs that was copied exactly on the Backlot Series. It's an okay comp, but they use the "live" recordings of "Hill Where The Lord Hides" and "Land Of Make-Believe", since the originals were on Mercury. I really hate how they fade out "Doin' Everything With You" at the end. They had enough space to put "Main Squeeze" at the end as was done on the original album.

Capt. Bacardi

I have never been able to find Main Squeeze on CD, although I should probably look on LP. I've liked the title cut, but have only heard the live version of it.

Given Chuck Mangione's love for extremely long tracks (the full length version of "Children Of Sanchez Overture" is 14:07), it is obvious that this CD is doing well just to sample ten songs for the occasional listener. But it will never suffice for the die hard Mangione fan.

What is the correct pronunciation of his last name? Man-jee-own or Man-jee-oh-nee? I've heard it both ways over the years.

I've heard it both ways, but generally with a little less emphasis on the "jee" - more like Man - jóan or Man-jóanie.

What is the correct pronunciation of his last name? Man-jee-own or Man-jee-oh-nee? I've heard it both ways over the years.
We need a resident Italian to figure that one out for us. :D

Maybe it's pronounced: Man-GEE-Onay...! (w/ a HARD "G", as in "Gey", rhyming w/ "Key"...)

-- Dave

I was at one of his concerts in 1980 and he had some fun about how people say his name, as well as the misprounciations of a couple of his songs, such as "Bellavia", which is pronounced Bella-VEE-ah, but Paul Simon called it Bell-AHH-via at a Grammy show and Mangione thought that sounded like a sports car. :D But Chuck says his name is pronounced Man-JOE-nee.

Capt. Bacardi

It's an okay comp, but they use the "live" recordings of "Hill Where The Lord Hides" and "Land Of Make-Believe", since the originals were on Mercury.
Capt. Bacardi
I didn't have a problem with the live version of "Land Of Make Believe", but "Hill Where The Lord Hides" was the TARANTELLA live version, which was nowhere near as good as the one from EVENING OF MAGIC: LIVE AT THE HOLLYWOOD BOWL.

I have never been able to find Main Squeeze on CD, although I should probably look on LP. I've liked the title cut, but have only heard the live version of it.
I havent seen main squeeze on cd either however i made a cd-r copy of it from an original vinyl lp version and in my opinion it will suffice until umg or somebody decides to reissue it. But i would'nt hold my breath nevertheless the album is worth having to complete your mangione a&m collection

Back
Top Bottom