Claudio Slon: R.I.P.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rudy

¡Que siga la fiesta!
Staff member
Site Admin
On behalf of A&M Corner and myself, I'd like to express condolences at the passing of Claudio Slon this past week. It was a pleasure having him visit our humble little Corner of the internet.

If anyone has thoughts or remembrances, be sure to post them. (We still have some straggler messages in our old forum, which is now in "archive" status.)

-= N =-

Greg Karukas' post in the archive is worth viewing if you missed it during the forum transission. Between B.J. Major's tireless efforts as crusading Claudio's talents at his official website and Greg's personal thoughts as both a professional musician and someone befriended by Claudio,a portrait has emerged of a real person passionate in his music and his desire for the world to hear what he heard. I would have never have known any of this without this forum. Claudio's flame cannot be extinguished. Mac

Here is the text of the Gregg Karukas post from our old forum:

Claudio's musical contributions can never be overestimated. He was there!!!.... at all the critical turning points in the explosion of Brazilian Music (not counting Carmen Miranda).

Claudio had a very broad knowlege of music from the World over. His incredible record collection included pristine copies of jazz, classical and Brazilian treasures.

Playing and recording with Dori Caymmi with Claudio on drums for many years with his loose, but deep, groove will always be a major highlight of my musical life. His jokes and many stories of his ride on the Brazilian "Wave" to the top and the Creed Taylor/Van Gelder sessions were amazing.

......At Montreux JAZZ 1991 / Brazil Night, I was one of only 2 Americans on the stage that night. It was evident that even in the company of Milton, Gal Costa, Quincy Jones, Chico Buarque and the entire Caymmi and Silva Families, Claudio was revered and respected by all. He and Dori introduced me to ALL of my heroes that day at sound check and I was floating on air for weeks after that.

That night, after our set, we watched part of Milton's final show on HDTV backstage and then went out and sat right under him at the front edge of the stage......what luck!

I was so honored to have Claudio and Dori record my songs.

Thank you Claudio. We'll miss you. Saudage, Karukas

Thanks for your message Gregg. We'll all miss Claudio, and will remember him fondly.

Harry

jimac51 said:
Greg Karukas' post in the archive is worth viewing if you missed it during the forum transission.

I know...I cringed when I saw his post, knowing that within a day, I'd be throwing the switch to the new forum. :confused:

But I do recognize his name from working with The Rippingtons also, and it's an honor to have him stop in and pay respects. Somewhere, I thought I had his CD Blue Touch, but things are in disarray here right now...

-= N =-
...needing some quality spring cleaning, offline....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom