"Comin'Thro'TheRye-"&"You'll Never Know&q

Status
Not open for further replies.

SakuraSYayoi

I read proposed liner notes(written by Mr. Daniel Levitin for "As Time Goes By") at Yuka(Yuko)'s site and yesterdayoncemore site.
Have you listened to the songs, "Comin' Thro' The Rye/Good Vibrations" and "You'll Never Know" ?

I watched the first televison show. I remember that Karen and John Denver sang "CTTR/GV". I love it. In the notes Mr. Levitin wrote that the medley "Comin' Thro' The Rye/Good Vibrations" was an encore from their 1976 live Palladium show in London. Did Karen sing the medley or sing with someone (Richard? or back up member)? Did they perform the medley at New London Theatre just after at Palladium?

Is there anyone who knows"YOU'LL NEVER KNOW"?
Mr. Levitin wrote:

One of the true gems on this collection is "You'll Never Know," in which Richard takes the lead vocal. Richard's voice is reminiscent of the great crooners, with an uncanny sense of pitch. This track is one of the few times Richard's voice is presented without doubling or effects, and you can hear how good he really is.

Sakura

Hi Sakura,

Comin' Through The Rye / Good Vibrations was Devised for Carpenters 1976 World Tour -Did They Perform These Songs on Japanese Tour ?

Both Songs Were Adapted For 1976 TV Special For Karen's Vocal Duet with John Denver.

In Concert Karen and Richard Performed the Duet as an Encore for Fans -Reviewers Including Ray Coleman Found the Choice of Songs Odd , Especially as a Finale ...... :o

Comin'/ Vibrations was Recorded and Originally Planned for Release on Live At The Palladium Album , But Dropped Due to Time / Length Reasons as Album Clocked in at Over 46 Minutes :shock:

Comin'/ Vibrations was Recorded for Holland TV Special and Resides as an Outtake -Within Richard's Archive....Carpenters Did Film Palladium Concerts -Probably for Own Archive and Some Future Project -Never Realised :sad:

You'll Never Know is the American Standard , Recorded by Huge Number of Classic Singers from 1940's onwards , Richard Recorded a Great Vocal Version (According to All Reports) for 1980 Music TV Special ...But John Davidson's Version was Finally Used :sad:

You'll Never -Should Be Released on Future Rarities Set , Carpenters Standards Album or Next Box Set Release .....Will Have To Keep on Persuading Richard :)

Peter....Standards Compiler ? .....

I'm sorry for "&q" of the title. I edited it to " but I coudn't.

Peter,

You answer all of my questions. Thank you very much.

I don't remember "Comin' Through The Rye / Good Vibrations" in live. There might be some difference between live in Japan and other tour in 1976. A big difference is "I Need To Be In Love". It was not released at that time.
Was the medley duet in London?

Thanks again for your comment of "You'll Never Know". "Carpenters Standards Album"? It's a good idea!

Sakura

The combo of "Comin' Thro the Rye" and "Good Vibrations" is, indeed, a very strange pairing. I think it was the creation of Ken and Mitzie Welch, the husband-wife team who helped "revamp" the Carpenters' stage show in 1976. They also combined "From This Moment On" with Bach's prelude... I somehow picture the two sitting down with a song list and randomly picking two completely unrelated songs and trying to "marry" them together!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom