Richard Maloof - Bass
Michael Stephens - Drums
Ron Powell - Percussion

Engineer: Vincent Cirilli
Live Photography: Steve Sidoruk
Art Direction & Package Design: Doug Haverty for Art & Soul Design

Original Album Executive Producers: Alain Silver and Michael Rosen
Original Album Projects Coordinator: Nick Redman

Special thanks to David Wechter, Cissy Wechter, the rest of the Wechters, Steve Sidoruk, Jeffrey Kauffman, the wonderful musicians, and the many loyal fans of Julius and the several incarnations of The Baja Marimba Band - they were something special.

Liner notes by David Wechter and Bruce Kimmel

Capt. Bacardi

I got my copy of the LAZY DAYS CD yesterday and with just one listen through, the standout for me was the "Santa Anita Racetrack Spot (Daily Double)". That sounds like old-school BMB to me and was a welcome treat. I'd never heard it before, but assume that locals who frequented that track must have heard it a few times.

I'd never heard any of the NEW DEAL disc, so all of these are basically new to me. It's always fun to have more Baja!

Harry

Today I took a short trip in the car and grabbed the NEW DEAL/LAZY DAYS disc and listened to it a bit more. This is a great disc for those "lazy days" here in Florida!

Oh, and I can report that the disc utilizes CD-Text and displays on players so equipped (though someone spelled "Noce" as "Noche" - oops).

Harry

Playing it on radio six international of course, and "We're off To See The Wizard" playlisted from yesterday. Lovely album - really enjoying it a lot!

Still waiting for my copy to arrive. Guess I need to drop a note to Kritzerland....

Unfortunatley i havent been able to get lazy days as yet but i own the original new deal cd on bay cities and all through the original tracks you still have that feeling old school bmb only this time without brass or woodwinds the first track we are off to see the wizard really cooks and sounds every bit like the bmb of yore and thru the original tracks you get a few pleasant surprises here and there but thats about all i can comment on because as yet im unable to aquire this new version with the bonus tracks but for those who missed the original new deal cd this is definitley worth getting and sadly it was julius wechter final recording of any kind lets be happy we have it whether the original or new version no fan of the bmb will be disappointed with it

I guess I should comment on this album since I started the thread a couple of months ago. :D

I always loved this album, especially since it put Julius in a more straight-ahead jazz vein. Coming up with a favorite track is difficult, but I gave the nod to "Say Si Si", just barely ahead of the swinging "Shorty". Both tracks are great, but the marimba solo on "Si Si" was slightly better. I also loved the percussive "Rumrunner" as well as the title track.

One thing about the bonus tracks - they don't really fit with the rest of the album. Don't get me wrong, they're great performances and it's nice that they're on a CD, but they are more of the old zany Baja whereas Lazy Days is a more serious jazz effort. But that's a small quibble. Definitely worth picking up for any BMB fan.

Capt. Bacardi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom