Compilation covers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Song4uman

Of all of the compilations that you own, what are your thoughts on the covers? What are your top three? Which one is you least favorite?

3). Collected- I think I like it because the photo was new to me.

2). Singles 69-81 - fun picture

1). Anthology 97 - absolutely my favorite picture of Karen

Least- Treasures (UK)

Jonathan

I tend to favor the ones without pictures, so I'd probably choose between the two SINGLES albums (1969-1973, and 1974-1978), or things like LOVE SONGS, GOLD (the original black and gold). I guess I'm a sucker for shiny packages...

Least favorite has to be INTERPRETATIONS. The two of them are looking off in different directions, and Karen's got this dumb-looking fur collared thing on. Awful.

Harry

Faves:
3. Carpenters 40/40 (2009)---They both look great in this photo, circa 1974.
2. Love Songs (1998)---No picture but classy design.
1. Gold (2004)---Karen looks stunning in this photo. Of course, I purchased Gold in its first incarnation (black background, gold lettering---nice design, too).

Honorable mention: Carpenters Perform Carpenter (2003)---This cover (1) includes in the background a great picture of Karen and Richard (same as used in Gold) and (2) includes in the foreground probably the best picture of Richard ever taken (in my humble opinion).

Least favorite:
Singles 1969-1981---I may be in the minority here, but I don't care for this photo. Although I get the intended sentiment (Karen is a fun person), I think the goofiness is misplaced in an album cover. If Karen and Richard had made a comedy album, this photo would be ideal. :)

Last edited:
Least favorite:
Singles 1969-1981---I may in the minority here, but I don't care for this photo. Although I get the intended sentiment (Karen is a fun person), I think the goofiness is misplaced in an album cover. If Karen and Richard had made a comedy album, this photo would be ideal. :)

I almost chose that because I feel the same way. When you compare the pictures used on the international release of SINGLES 1969-1981 versus the US release (and SACD), I prefer the straight ahead classy portrait shot used on the international version:

carpsingles6981world.jpg
carpsingles6981US.jpg

Harry

My favourite is The singles 1969-73. It's not very often you see a brown album cover and it was just so classy and distinctive. Tells you in that wonderful ident, who it is and what it is!!
Second is the UK yesterday once more (1984) double album cover. It's got a really classy silver edged image of K and R, similar to the 1985 version blue cover, but i think, a bit more impressive.
Third is Singles 74-78.
I agree with Harry, apart from Horizon, i much prefer non imaged album covers. Passage is my fave cover of studio albums.

Honorable mention: Carpenters Perform Carpenter (2003)---This cover (1) includes in the background a great picture of Karen and Richard (same as used in Gold) and (2) includes in the foreground probably the best picture of Richard ever taken (in my humble opinion).

I always thought this a fairly bombastic release and unless you were a diehard fan and knew Richard wrote some of their material, the compilation title seems really odd. If you didn't really read it properly it almost reads "Carpenters Perform Carpenters", which just sounds nonsensical.

"Carpenters Perform Bacharach" or "Carpenters Perform the Standards" would have been a much more interesting release :)

That whole album (Carpenters perform Carpenter), hmmm. Mixed feelings on the whole album. Of course I love the songs, all written by Richard, but doesn't it appear a tad egotistical?

But remember, except for diehard fans and trivia nerds (hello!), many people would not know which songs Richard wrote or even that he wrote at all...it would have been cool to do that Carpenters cover album as well as Bacharach, Paul Williams, standards, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom