• ***** (BEST)

Votes: 17 21.5%

Votes: 39 49.4%

Votes: 22 27.8%

Votes: 1 1.3%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
The Review by music-critic Bruce Eder misses a few points in the comparison:
Had the attention to detail presented on the first Singles LP been duplicated on the second Singles LP,
there would be more cause for celebration. For example:
imagine if Richard had bothered to do an introductory instrumental segue (as we got on The Singles 1969-1973)
or, if a few songs had been re-recorded (as was Ticket) or, if --say--three songs had been strung together
(in the manner of Superstar/ Rainy Days/ Goodbye To Love).

1. Sweet, Sweet Smile
2. Jambalaya (On The Bayou)
3. Can't Smile Without You
4. I Won't Last A Day Without You
5. All You Get From Love Is A Love Song
6. Only Yesterday
7. Solitaire
8. Please Mr. Postman
9. I Need To Be In Love
10. Happy
11. There's A Kind Of Hush
12. Calling Occupants Of Interplanetary Craft

There is a lot of diversity on this second Singles LP. Many of the arrangements are Superb.
Karen's vocals are incredible--of course, yet more expansive on this second offering.

Again, had it gotten due attention from Richard (or, A&M ?), as a true "second-Singles" LP,
the LP would be much more competitive with the former 1969-1973. But, the aim was for the UK market.
(Besides, Jambalaya was 'tracked' in 1972, as was IWLADWY ).

There were various factors working against this album having been a more 'true' singles album like the 1969-1973 album though. In late 1978, they were also releasing Christmas Portrait, so already had something to promote (this wasn't really an issue in the UK, where Christmas albums generally weren't popular and the album accordingly was given next to no promotion). Richard was also at his nadir health-wise, so was in no position to start augmenting and embellishing new arrangements/segues for the album.

Plus - and this is the key factor I suspect - by late 1978 in the US, they were completely out of favour on the singles charts. Compilation albums released during an artist's active career tended to only do well if their recent commercial standing was reasonably robust (the 1969-1973 Singles album had been well-served by 'Top of the World' going to #1 around the time of the album's release). By late 1978, the Carpenters hadn't had a Top 30 single since mid-1976 and their last two singles had missed the Top 40. Even if the album had been given that extra attention in terms of arrangements/segues, I suspect it would not have sold well in the US because they were at such a low ebb commercially. In the UK, by contrast, 'Calling Occupants' had made the Top 10 only a year earlier, so they didn't have that same problem to overcome in that market.

Happily,
I recall finding my LP in the so-called "import section" at a K-mart, in 1980, in Rockford, Illinois !
I did not have to think twice about buying it.
I do so love
Sweet, Sweet Smile !
A great way to begin an Album !

The fact that the collection opens with two country tracks back to back has always been an instant turn off for me.

I agree. The sequencing is a bit off on this compliation. Starting the other side of the vinyl LP with 'Solitaire' is another big strike against it - that song is far too slow to open a new side of an album (seemingly they hadn't learnt anything from its poor placement in the Horizon tracklisting).

The Review by music-critic Bruce Eder misses a few points in the comparison:
Had the attention to detail presented on the first Singles LP been duplicated on the second Singles LP,
there would be more cause for celebration. For example:
imagine if Richard had bothered to do an introductory instrumental segue (as we got on The Singles 1969-1973)
or, if a few songs had been re-recorded (as was Ticket) or, if --say--three songs had been strung together
(in the manner of Superstar/ Rainy Days/ Goodbye To Love).

1. Sweet, Sweet Smile
2. Jambalaya (On The Bayou)
3. Can't Smile Without You
4. I Won't Last A Day Without You
5. All You Get From Love Is A Love Song
6. Only Yesterday
7. Solitaire
8. Please Mr. Postman
9. I Need To Be In Love
10. Happy
11. There's A Kind Of Hush
12. Calling Occupants Of Interplanetary Craft

There is a lot of diversity on this second Singles LP. Many of the arrangements are Superb.
Karen's vocals are incredible--of course, yet more expansive on this second offering.

Again, had it gotten due attention from Richard (or, A&M ?), as a true "second-Singles" LP,
the LP would be much more competitive with the former 1969-1973. But, the aim was for the UK market.
(Besides, Jambalaya was 'tracked' in 1972, as was IWLADWY ).

I agree. although Karen did travel to promote this collection, it appears that this release did not receive complete carpenters support. crappy packaging and lack of Richard's eye for detail.

I've always had a soft spot for this album, it was the first cd I ever bought ( in fact i bought it while i was still saving up for a cd player in the early 80's )

I have probably 20 or so Carpenters compilations and I was thinking how much i prefer the original versions ( album or single versions ) over later remixes, and realised that this album and 69-73 singles are the only two I really need.
Singles post 78 I am not too fussed about and can enjoy them as album tracks more on the relevent albums.

I remember back in '84 or '85 finding the "double cassette" of this album and '69-'73. I believe one side had the first "singles" album and the other side had this one. I agree with those who have a "soft spot" for this compilation. I think, although it contained the later less-successful singles, played very well as a whole. I think I remember hearing the alternate "Can't Smile Without You" single take and, surprisingly, liking it more than the album mix...still not one of my favorites by a long-shot; however, I think Richard improved upon the song as much as he could with that single mix (alternate verse, addition of horns, etc.).

I remember back in '84 or '85 finding the "double cassette" of this album and '69-'73. I believe one side had the first "singles" album and the other side had this one. I agree with those who have a "soft spot" for this compilation. I think, although it contained the later less-successful singles, played very well as a whole. I think I remember hearing the alternate "Can't Smile Without You" single take and, surprisingly, liking it more than the album mix...still not one of my favorites by a long-shot; however, I think Richard improved upon the song as much as he could with that single mix (alternate verse, addition of horns, etc.).

I remember that cassette!! I had it too at one point - a shame that the Japanese planned shm release of this album was pulled, I would have liked to have had that

congratulations, you have all three!!! I have regrets....guilt....remorse....low esteem....so who is the REAL winner here....the guy with all three....i'm in my happy place....every sha-la-la-la my woe-o-o-o....i'm fi-I-I-ine, no really....
Just to give you an idea of where the album covers came from:

The CD was purchased new in Canada, and even has "A&M Records Canada" on it.
The Reverse of the 69-73 cover version was manufactured and distributed by Columbia House Canada.
The Goldfoil cover was printed and made in England by Robor Ltd and the vinyl was made and distributed by A&M UK.

The Reverse of the 69-73 cover version was manufactured and distributed by Columbia House Canada.
The Goldfoil cover was printed and made in England by Robor Ltd and the vinyl was made and distributed by A&M UK.

I had the UK gold 'effect' cover as I didn't buy it when it first came out ( i was 8 ), but looking through a friends collection I was so excited to see she had the real gold foil version, i kept on and on and on , until she let me have it in exchange for me buying her a brand new copy of the gold effect cover, I still have it now about 35 years later and having lost touch when i left yorkshire for london, it brings back such good memories.

Is there a picture of the reverse of the 69-73 cover out there on the net? I'd like to see it. Never cared personally for the foil one, but I was old school and loved the rich cover of the original, and of course, since 73 was a peak year in the USA, it has a very special place in my heart.

Carpenters' Fan Club Newsletter #62, November 1978:
" A&M Records in London, England are compiling another singles album called
Carpenters Singles 1974-1978,which they plan to release towards the end of the year.
It is not known at this time if it will only be available in England, so please refrain from
writing in about it until more information can be published in the next newsletter."
Newsletter #63, January 1979: "the recently rleased album in England, Singles 1974-1978,
gained Platinum Status."

Click the link. You’ll see all 3 covers. The CD is at the top, with the Reverse on the left with the gold foil on the right in both pictures. The reverse features the same colours as the 69-73 set, but reversed to where the beige is the dominant color and the lettering is in brown.
Thanks! I rather like the idea of the Canada version, but one can't knock the Platinum London release either! Thanks again for posting, and the clarification!

Thanks! I rather like the idea of the Canada version, but one can't knock the Platinum London release either! Thanks again for posting, and the clarification!
Well the UK version also says to check the actual record for where that was made. So I’m assuming that the Goldfoil cover could’ve appeared anywhere (Canada, Australia). I wonder if the reverse cover was the first cover, and then it was released in the Goldfoil when the album went Platinum. Plus since the Goldfoil has the same Art Deco design as the CD artwork, I wonder if that was the middle artwork.

Well the UK version also says to check the actual record for where that was made. So I’m assuming that the Goldfoil cover could’ve appeared anywhere (Canada, Australia). I wonder if the reverse cover was the first cover, and then it was released in the Goldfoil when the album went Platinum. Plus since the Goldfoil has the same Art Deco design as the CD artwork, I wonder if that was the middle artwork.
I have both the gold foil version, and the reverse cover version of the album. The gold foil is the original - mine was purchased in 1979 - the jacket says it was made in England by Robor Ltd, and the LP itself was manufactured by A&M Records of Canada. The reverse cover version was purchased around 1985, and both the jacket and LP were made by A&M Records of Canada. My CD, also made in Canada, has the same artwork as the CD you have (similar design to the original foil cover, but of course not in foil).

All the original UK pressings were the Goldfoil sleeve. When the album was reissued in the UK the mid-1980s (both on vinyl and CD), the Goldfoil sleeve was replaced with the Art Deco design, which resembles it (presumably it was cheaper to do this than to reprint the Goldfoil sleeve). In the UK we never got the reverse cover version.

The Goldfoil sleeve was quite a nice idea but I always thought the logo got rathre lost on the sleeve, being all the same colour.

Got mine out and listening now. I used to write on the sleeve when I purchased or received albums. While I have replaced with nicer inner sleeve, I still have the original. It says “Aug 1983 from Mother and Daddy”.
purchased in Wichita Ks while visiting older sister and her family It was in the import section.

It is an album I didn’t play much. It is perfect. Not a pop or scratch.

And it is the foil sleeve.

Jonathan

Interestingly enough,
I took another listen to Jambalaya,
there are aspects about the song that I do like (steel guitar, for one),
and, actually, not such a bad effort.
Be that as it may,
the thing that I do not like about the arrangement is the
extended flute solo.....it 'softens' the song too much for my tastes.
Remove it, or shorten it, and
I'm a fan !

It's sad but understandable that A&M didn't use this compilation to introduce a new single in the states (like "I Believe You") or one of the pop sides they had recorded in 1978. I remember finding the LP in a bin of used records, and I thought, wow the follow-up to The Singles 1969-1974. Sort of I guess, but I have to remember it wasn't compiled for the US market.

First, I like it. It made me realize that "Can't Smile Without You" had another version. Why? Where did it come from? (Well it made the "Calling Occupants" single even more collectible. The edit, now this!) But why wasn't the single version of that song here? I like "Happy," but "Breaking Up" should of been here, or maybe a new British (only) single! This comp has my all time favorite single by the Carpenters on it, "All You Get From Love Is A Love Song." A great dose of upbeat melancholy! A song that should been a top 10 hit, their best single since "Only Yesterday" for radio. There are other good reasons to include the original vinyl release of this in your collection, as others have documented here.

My 2 cents - John

It's sad but understandable that A&M didn't use this compilation to introduce a new single in the states (like "I Believe You") or one of the pop sides they had recorded in 1978. I remember finding the LP in a bin of used records, and I thought, wow the follow-up to The Singles 1969-1974. Sort of I guess, but I have to remember it wasn't compiled for the US market.

First, I like it. It made me realize that "Can't Smile Without You" had another version. Why? Where did it come from? (Well it made the "Calling Occupants" single even more collectible. The edit, now this!) But why wasn't the single version of that song here? I like "Happy," but "Breaking Up" should of been here, or maybe a new British (only) single! This comp has my all time favorite single by the Carpenters on it, "All You Get From Love Is A Love Song." A great dose of upbeat melancholy! A song that should been a top 10 hit, their best single since "Only Yesterday" for radio. There are other good reasons to include the original vinyl release of this in your collection, as others have documented here.

My 2 cents - John

I was talking to Richard last year, I asked him why was "Can't Smile Without You" re-recorded and he said "the main reason was that I wasn't quite happy with my first arrangement"

The 45-Calling Occupants/Can't Smile
was released September 1977.
Had Richard not decided to issue Occupants as an edited Single (and, he was prodded into that decision),
would he still have rearranged Can't Smile Without You ?

Back
Top Bottom