Complete Singles Collection Available

StaxOWax

Hi all,
This is my first post here. I've been a longtime lurker and finally decided to create an account and get involved! I've been over on the Steve Hoffman Forums for a while and have been following a couple of Carpenters threads there. They are one of my favorite duos. I was very excited to get my hands on a copy of the Carpenters Complete Singles 3-CD-set a few months ago. At that point, they were no longer available for purchase (they had been part of a PBS pledge program). However, they are now up for sale on Treasury Collection's website for just under $40.00. This is a great compilation! Great sound and great music! I posted about this over on the Steve Hoffman Forums in a Carpenters thread and thought I'd join here and post about it, too.

In summary: The 3-CD Carpenters Singles Collection set that was featured in a PBS pledge drive a few years ago is now available to purchase for just under $40.00!

Hopefully it is okay to post a link here to the listing. I'm new here so if posting a link like this is against the rules of the road I'm sure I'll be set straight in no time :)

I eagerly went to this site to order a copy as I’ve been after one for some time to complement my Japanese Singles Box, only to discover they don’t ship outside the US or Canada or even offer an option to pay shipping costs. The PBS release was the same. So disappointing and frustrating.

Thanks for posting anyway - and welcome! :)

Last edited:
This is great news for those who were were unable to acquire a set from their Public TV stations, and it's well worth the $40 for the three disc set. I would expect that prices on eBay will also drop eventually when that marketplace catches on to the new retail price.

Ordered! Thanks StaxOWax, and welcome to the forum!

Shipping to Canada is $20.95, for a total cost of $60.93 for the set. That's approximately $75.00 Canadian dollars. Not cheap, but still quite a bit less than PBS was asking for it.

Shipping to US addresses is $14.95

Ordered! Thanks StaxOWax, and welcome to the forum!

Shipping to Canada is $20.95, for a total cost of $60.93 for the set. That's approximately $75.00 Canadian dollars. Not cheap, but still quite a bit less than PBS was asking for it.

Shipping to US addresses is $14.95
When I ordered my copy from WPBS in 2015, they were taking CDN at par, so I paid like $75.

When I ordered my copy from WPBS in 2015, they were taking CDN at par, so I paid like $75.
PBS in Spokane Washington was also taking CDN at par, but they were asking $96 for the set in 2015. In 2016, they added the Christmas Portrait CD to the package, and upped the price to $120.

My set has been shipped already. Unfortunately, Treasury Collection shipped it via DHL, so I'll certainly be charged HST, and a $15 DHL service charge. So, it will end up costing about the same amount that PBS was charging in 2015. Still, on the bright side, it's less than people are asking for it on eBay or Discogs.

PBS in Spokane Washington was also taking CDN at par, but they were asking $96 for the set in 2015. In 2016, they added the Christmas Portrait CD to the package, and upped the price to $120.

My set has been shipped already. Unfortunately, Treasury Collection shipped it via DHL, so I'll certainly be charged HST, and a $15 DHL service charge. So, it will end up costing about the same amount that PBS was charging in 2015. Still, on the bright side, it's less than people are asking for it on eBay or Discogs.
Whenever I get anything from shipped via DHL it comes by Canada Post and I never get dinged for anything.

Hi all,
This is my first post here. I've been a longtime lurker and finally decided to create an account and get involved! I've been over on the Steve Hoffman Forums for a while and have been following a couple of Carpenters threads there. They are one of my favorite duos. I was very excited to get my hands on a copy of the Carpenters Complete Singles 3-CD-set a few months ago. At that point, they were no longer available for purchase (they had been part of a PBS pledge program). However, they are now up for sale on Treasury Collection's website for just under $40.00. This is a great compilation! Great sound and great music! I posted about this over on the Steve Hoffman Forums in a Carpenters thread and thought I'd join here and post about it, too.

In summary: The 3-CD Carpenters Singles Collection set that was featured in a PBS pledge drive a few years ago is now available to purchase for just under $40.00!

Hopefully it is okay to post a link here to the listing. I'm new here so if posting a link like this is against the rules of the road I'm sure I'll be set straight in no time :)

Awesome news! Thanks for the heads up.

I have a couple of questions about this set after looking through the tracklist again this morning. I cross-checked the Recording Resource page on this collection but couldn’t find anything specific there on these particular tracks, other than they are both the original mixes:

1. Does ‘Maybe It’s You’ have a clean opening i.e. no crossfade with ‘Love Is Surrender’ as it does the Close To You album?

2. What’s the sound like on ‘B’Wana She No Home’? I know that most of the tracks for the collection were taken from the original single masters, so I was wondering if it’s got the clearer, crisper sound of the 45 or the muddier sound of the album version?

Last edited:
I have a couple of questions about this set after looking through the tracklist again this morning. I checked the Recording Resource page on this collection but couldn’t find anything specific there on these particular tracks, other than ‘Maybe It’s You’ is the original album mix:

1. Does ‘Maybe It’s You’ have a clean opening i.e. no crossfade with ‘Love Is Surrender’ as it does the Close To You album?

2. What’s the sound like on ‘B’Wana She No Home’? I know that most of the tracks for the collection were taken from the original single masters, so I was wondering if it’s got the clearer, crisper sound of the 45 or the muddier sound of the album version?
1. Yes it’s a clean open—-there’s no crossfading with other tracks.

2. “B’Wana’ is still mono and sounds like it came from the REMASTERED CLASSICS CD.
3. “Flat Baroque” is the album version, not the 45 mix.

"Maybe It's You" has a clean open, but the four repeated octave notes that are usually segued with "Love Is Surrender's" fade, are truncated off. It was probably that way on the single.

"B'wana..." unfortunately used the standard reduced stereo of the modern CD masterings.

That’s a shame when the set is meant to be original A and B sides. Does anyone know why the 45 version wasn’t used?
I remember the differences only came to light after the set had been finalized and pressed, otherwise before everyone thought it was just the album mix on its own.

I remember the differences only came to light after the set had been finalized and pressed, otherwise before everyone thought it was just the album mix on its own.

Ah of course - thanks for the reminder :). I knew we had a log of this oddity somewhere - I remember that whole discussion well, but couldn’t remember if we’d ever discovered the actual reason for its exclusion on this set.

I think it was just a case of not realizing that these had been altered for the single. Essentially, if you're not paying too close attention, you won't notice anything drastically different on either "B'wana..." or "Flat Baroque", and both were b-sides and not the main focus of the 45 release.

Back
Top Bottom