Complete Singles Collection Available

I think it was just a case of not realizing that these had been altered for the single. Essentially, if you're not paying too close attention, you won't notice anything drastically different on either "B'wana..." or "Flat Baroque", and both were b-sides and not the main focus of the 45 release.

Which would make sense ordinarily, but wasn’t this compilation assembled with Richard’s involvement? He was involved in its promotion from what I remember (or was that just the Christmas DVD?). He would have known surely.

Which would make sense ordinarily, but wasn’t this compilation assembled with Richard’s involvement? He was involved in its promotion from what I remember (or was that just the Christmas DVD?). He would have known surely.
Or the changes were so minor that he possibly forgot. Then there's the matter of which single masters were available.

Received my Complete Singles Collection today and I'm giving it a spin. Just the way I remember them all those years ago.

Nice booklet/insert in the set.
Do you know, is "The Christmas Song" the vinyl rip that is on the PBS one? :D

Was hoping for a source tape transfer this time around :tongue:

Do you know, is "The Christmas Song" the vinyl rip that is on the PBS one? :D

Was hoping for a source tape transfer this time around :tongue:
As far as I know, it is a source tape transfer. The Christmas Song single mix master has had a digital master copy since as early as 1987 when it appeared on the 1987 Time-Life Treasury Of Christmas (I’ve got the LP, cassette & CD, and both the LP & cassette carry a “Digital” tag on the front cover—-this is not on the CD for obvious reasons). The single mix was on that collection until 1998 when the rights expired and 1999 saw a Mel Torme version replace it.

As far as I know, it is a source tape transfer. The Christmas Song single mix master has had a digital master copy since as early as 1987 when it appeared on the 1987 Time-Life Treasury Of Christmas (I’ve got the LP, cassette & CD, and both the LP & cassette carry a “Digital” tag on the front cover—-this is not on the CD for obvious reasons). The single mix was on that collection until 1998 when the rights expired and 1999 saw a Mel Torme version replace it.

Oh, that's pretty great! To my ears, the Complete Singles version sounds a bit like the audio has some sibilance that comes from IGD, but it's only really noticeable with a good pair of earphones. I will have to look into this Time Life Treasury of Christmas compilation... :)

Last edited:
Oh, that's pretty great! To my ears, it sounds a bit like the audio has some sibilance that comes from IGD, but it's only really noticeable with a good pair of earphones. I will have to look into this Time Life Treasury of Christmas compilation... :)
With the Time Life set just watch out since from 1999 to about 2002-03 there was essentially the same collection with the Mel Torme Christmas Song, and one or two other substitutions, but then around 2003 Time Life lost a bunch of rights and made a few all new sets that were called “Treasury of Christmas” but then had a semicolon followed by a subtitle like “Christmas Memories”. But the Carpenters were not on any set from 1999 onward. So it’s just sets from the 1987 to 1998 timeframe.

I was a 10-year-old freak fan that noticed it back in ‘72. I actually remember playing the album for the first time and running up the steps and thinking, ‘Wow, that’s different!’
😂🤣

I eagerly went to this site to order a copy as I’ve been after one for some time to complement my Japanese Singles Box, only to discover they don’t ship outside the US or Canada or even offer an option to pay shipping costs. The PBS release was the same. So disappointing and frustrating.

After posting the above message on 20th May, I was contacted out of the blue the same day by one forum member, and then another, both of whom offered to help me get a copy of this much-coveted CD set. Fast forward three weeks and I’m holding a pristine copy of The Complete Singles in my hands - thanks to member Ken (@GDB2LV), who offered to order this on my behalf, have it first sent to himself in the US and then shipped onwards to me here in the UK - which was the only way it could be done. My postman knocked at my door this morning and announced “something from America for you today!” :laugh:

I’m already half way through disc one and it’s a joy just to hear the A and B sides back to back, one after the other. Tracks 1 and 2 are incredible quality, given that they are lifted directly from vinyl. I’m also surprised how early “Mr Guder” faded out, but I’m guessing that’s because it would have had to drop out even more sharply if it was faded just before the segued guitar introduction of “I Kept On Loving You”. More observations to follow I’m sure!

This is the set I’ve always dreamed of and for years it seemed just out of my reach. Now that’s no longer the case, due to Ken’s generosity and kindness. Anyway, this is a very long-winded way of saying how good it is to know there are people you’ve never met who are willing to go out of their way to be helpful. Ken, I owe you one my friend!

Last edited:
I'm glad you were able to get one Stephen! :)

Mr. Postman delivered mine last Thursday, and I'm happy to report that I didn't get dinged by Customs! The jewel case looks like it had been through a war though, and when I opened it, the back part containing disc 3 came right off in my hand! Fortunately, the discs and inserts are undamaged. The set was shipped in a regular bubble envelope. For the $20 shipping that I was charged, I was hoping they would have used a box at least.

Thank you for the kind words, & you’re so welcome Stephen. I hope you get as much enjoyment out of it as most of us have had the last few years.
At last!

After posting the above message on 20th May, I was contacted out of the blue the same day by one forum member, and then another, both of whom offered to help me get a copy of this much-coveted CD set. Fast forward three weeks and I’m holding a pristine copy of The Complete Singles in my hands - thanks to member Ken (@GDB2LV), who offered to order this on my behalf, have it first sent to himself in the US and then shipped onwards to me here in the UK - which was the only way it could be done. My postman knocked at my door this morning and announced “something from America for you today!” :laugh:

I’m already half way through disc one and it’s a joy just to hear the A and B sides back to back, one after the other. Tracks 1 and 2 are incredible quality, given that they are lifted directly from vinyl. I’m also surprised how early “Mr Guder” faded out, but I’m guessing that’s because it would have had to drop out even more sharply if it was faded just before the segued guitar introduction of “I Kept On Loving You”. More observations to follow I’m sure!

This is the set I’ve always dreamed of and for years it seemed just out of my reach. Now that’s no longer the case, due to Ken’s generosity and kindness. Anyway, this is a very long-winded way of saying how good it is to know there are people you’ve never met who are willing to go out of their way to be helpful. Ken, I owe you one my friend!
The original tape master of just “Mr. Guder” probably faded out at the longer point, but considering MG was on the back of “Merry Christmas Darling”, it might’ve been shortened thinking that in January radio programmers would flip the 45 over and play MG and maybe have a double a side. And the shortness was for radio. The cross fade into IKOLY was done on the album master.

What really stands out to me on this collection is the transition on disc 3. I’ve never though about it before now, until hearing these singles back to back. Karen sings “the other side of me just caught a flight, goodbye”… the last line on the last B-side of the last single released in her lifetime. Cut to “Make Believe It’s Your First Time”, the first track released after she was gone. The juxtaposition of those two songs is so poignant.

Just to be thorough on the A&M Corner Carpenters Recording Resource page that I try to keep updated, I've ordered another copy of THE COMPLETE SINGLES from Amazon. I've had the first one from Public TV since it was first offered. I was curious to see if anything had changed in the six years since the original - and there are a few, so far, minor, clerical type changes.

First, the catalog number is slightly different.
- Spine original - B0024049-02 IN02
- Spine Amazon - B0024049-02 IN03

Back insert
- Fine print original - First line in white print at bottom is spaced as far as the second line is from the third.
- Fine print Amazon - First line in white print at bottom is spaced close to the second line.
- No other changes including copyright dates.

Jewel case
- Original is a fatboy case, consistent ribs on black divider top and bottom. "Page 3" of the case has no hub teeth to hold a disc, so the booklet is housed in the page 3 section.
- Amazon is a fatboy case, ribbed with an oval area of ribs going perpendicular. Both "page 2" and "page 3" of the case have hub teeth. The booklet was housed in the "page 2" section". One could move the contents of the "page 2" and "page 3" sections around if one wished.

Disc faces
- Original Disc 1 has the Carpenters logo black, and it has a narrower font for THE COMPLETE SINGLES. Ochre color is dark, A&M logo letters are in a flourescent orange/red. Track titles are in a narrowed font, and "I Kept On Loving You" fits on the second line. The Disc # (1) has a serif at the top but not bottom. There's a copyright date of 2015, and the bottom line of that text has catalog # "B0024049-02 CD01".
- Amazon Disc 1 has the Carpenters logo in red, and it has a wider font for THE COMPLETE SINGLES. Ochre color is lighter, A&M logo letters are in a more standard red color. Track title fonts are wider, and "I Kept On Loving You" drops down to the next line to fit. The Disc # (1) has a serif both top and bottom. There's a new copyright date of 2021, and the bottom line of that text has catalog # "B0024049-02 CD01 RE2".

- Original Disc 2 has the A&M silver/tan logo with a finer silvering dotting. Copyright is 2015. Catalog number is "B0024049-02 CD02"
- Amazon Disc 2 has the A&M silver/tan logo with a courser silvering dotting. Copyright is 2021. Catalog number is "B0024049-02 CD02 RE3".

- Original Disc 3 has the red A&M label with the red color a flourescent version. Copyright is 2015. Catalog number around bottom is "B0024049-02 CD03".
- Amazon Disc 3 has the red A&M label in a standard red color. Copyright is 2021. Catalog number around bottom is "B0024049-02 CD03 RE2".

- Original booklet credits conclude with Bill Pitzonka, Booklet catalog number is B0024049-02 with a copyright date of 2015.
- Amazon booklet credits add two lines. "TJL Executive Producers: TJ Lubinsky & Jim Pierson. Amazon booklet catalog # is B0024049-02 BK03.

I have not detected any sonic changes, but have only given a cursory comparison to the two Disc 1's. The same flaws exist in track 1's beginning, but I'm not sure if there was a smoothing attempt on the newer disc. Track 2 remains the short-opening found only on this set. Curiously, when the new Disc 1 was placed in my computer, it reported no track titles - except for "Flat Baroque". But I detect no audio differences at all. In fact, the real 45 is a bit different from the one presented here. Richard's piano moves around the stereo stage more on the 45. I thought perhaps that might have been updated, but that's not the case on this new set.

If any sharp-eared fans out there grab a second set and do comparisons and hear anything noteworthy, please point me towards what you're hearing.

I have a little oddity. The first CD I bought from PBS (a few years ago) has the catalog number B0024049-02 IN01 on one spine, and B0024049-02 IN03 on the other spine. No mention of IN02 on my PBS set.

The one I just bought from Treasury Collection (which I've kept sealed) has the catalog number with IN03 on one spine, and IN04 on the other spine.

Just to be thorough on the A&M Corner Carpenters Recording Resource page that I try to keep updated, I've ordered another copy of THE COMPLETE SINGLES from Amazon. I've had the first one from Public TV since it was first offered. I was curious to see if anything had changed in the six years since the original - and there are a few, so far, minor, clerical type changes.

First, the catalog number is slightly different.
- Spine original - B0024049-02 IN02
- Spine Amazon - B0024049-02 IN03

Back insert
- Fine print original - First line in white print at bottom is spaced as far as the second line is from the third.
- Fine print Amazon - First line in white print at bottom is spaced close to the second line.
- No other changes including copyright dates.

Jewel case
- Original is a fatboy case, consistent ribs on black divider top and bottom. "Page 3" of the case has no hub teeth to hold a disc, so the booklet is housed in the page 3 section.
- Amazon is a fatboy case, ribbed with an oval area of ribs going perpendicular. Both "page 2" and "page 3" of the case have hub teeth. The booklet was housed in the "page 2" section". One could move the contents of the "page 2" and "page 3" sections around if one wished.

Disc faces
- Original Disc 1 has the Carpenters logo black, and it has a narrower font for THE COMPLETE SINGLES. Ochre color is dark, A&M logo letters are in a flourescent orange/red. Track titles are in a narrowed font, and "I Kept On Loving You" fits on the second line. The Disc # (1) has a serif at the top but not bottom. There's a copyright date of 2015, and the bottom line of that text has catalog # "B0024049-02 CD01".
- Amazon Disc 1 has the Carpenters logo in red, and it has a wider font for THE COMPLETE SINGLES. Ochre color is lighter, A&M logo letters are in a more standard red color. Track title fonts are wider, and "I Kept On Loving You" drops down to the next line to fit. The Disc # (1) has a serif both top and bottom. There's a new copyright date of 2021, and the bottom line of that text has catalog # "B0024049-02 CD01 RE2".

- Original Disc 2 has the A&M silver/tan logo with a finer silvering dotting. Copyright is 2015. Catalog number is "B0024049-02 CD02"
- Amazon Disc 2 has the A&M silver/tan logo with a courser silvering dotting. Copyright is 2021. Catalog number is "B0024049-02 CD02 RE3".

- Original Disc 3 has the red A&M label with the red color a flourescent version. Copyright is 2015. Catalog number around bottom is "B0024049-02 CD03".
- Amazon Disc 3 has the red A&M label in a standard red color. Copyright is 2021. Catalog number around bottom is "B0024049-02 CD03 RE2".

- Original booklet credits conclude with Bill Pitzonka, Booklet catalog number is B0024049-02 with a copyright date of 2015.
- Amazon booklet credits add two lines. "TJL Executive Producers: TJ Lubinsky & Jim Pierson. Amazon booklet catalog # is B0024049-02 BK03.

I have not detected any sonic changes, but have only given a cursory comparison to the two Disc 1's. The same flaws exist in track 1's beginning, but I'm not sure if there was a smoothing attempt on the newer disc. Track 2 remains the short-opening found only on this set. Curiously, when the new Disc 1 was placed in my computer, it reported no track titles - except for "Flat Baroque". But I detect no audio differences at all. In fact, the real 45 is a bit different from the one presented here. Richard's piano moves around the stereo stage more on the 45. I thought perhaps that might have been updated, but that's not the case on this new set.

If any sharp-eared fans out there grab a second set and do comparisons and hear anything noteworthy, please point me towards what you're hearing.
Comparing our disc face/catalog numbers, I suspect this is what happened. @Harry has an original original set (probably the first issue/print from 2015). I have a newer set (from 2016), and @Harry's Amazon disc is a newer iteration than mine.

Regarding the PBS set (2016) that I have, my disc 1 is like Harry's original – black Carpenters logo, narrow font for "The Complete Singles." But my disc is labeled B0024049-02 CD01 RE1 (probably meaning "CD1, reissue/remix/reiteration 1"). My disc 2 is labeled B0024049-02 CD02 RE2, and my disc 3 is labeled B0024049-02 CD03 RE1. Disc 3 is fluorescent, like Harry described.

My 2016 booklet has a note about TJ Lubinsky, Jim Pierson, and Paul Brownstein. Copyright is 2015, and the booklet is suffixed B0024049-02 BK02.

Having read @Cuyler’s posts about the audio dynamics of certain tracks with great interest, here’s one I wanted to ask about.

On The Complete Singles, all of the tracks sound great through my headphones until I get to ‘Merry Christmas, Darling’. For some reason, when it gets to the choruses, the bass drum and bass guitar sound really distorted to me, as if someone has turned the bass setting on their graphic equalizer system up way too high. When I first listened to it through headphones on my own hifi system, I had to drop the bass down to compensate and reduce the distortion, but that had the opposite effect on other tracks. Not sure if anyone else hears this.

Having read @Cuyler’s posts about the audio dynamics of certain tracks with great interest, here’s one I wanted to ask about.

On The Complete Singles, all of the tracks sound great through my headphones until I get to ‘Merry Christmas, Darling’. For some reason, when it gets to the choruses, the bass drum and bass guitar sound really distorted to me, as if someone has turned the bass setting on their graphic equalizer system up way too high. When I first listened to it through headphones on my own hifi system, I had to drop the bass down to compensate and reduce the distortion, but that had the opposite effect on other tracks. Not sure if anyone else hears this.
I did a little test. Although we often lump in the "1970 single mix" to include From the Top, The Essential Collection, and The Complete Singles, I have noticed that The Essential Collection is considerably louder than From the Top. So, I normalized all three versions to 0 dB. Complete Singles is identical to The Essential Collection. That is, the red lines appear at the exact same spots. From the Top only has one red line (one peak), which would be expected from an audio that has never been peak limited.

Complete Singles: (notice the three red lines, one in the left channel and two in the right channel.)
Screen-Shot-2021-06-27-at-11-34-49-AM.png

The Essential Collection: (notice the red lines at the exact same places.)
Screen-Shot-2021-06-27-at-11-32-29-AM.png

From the Top: (notice just one line in the right channel—rarely do two sounds in real life ever make the exact same volume; the same philosophy holds true when analog formats are digitized!)
Screen-Shot-2021-06-27-at-11-34-20-AM.png

I would recommend giving the From the Top version a listen, and see if you hear the same aural phenomenon. If you hear the same thing on From the Top, chances are what you are hearing is on the source analog tape.

With my ears as my guide, I do think that the bass is turned up on The Complete Singles. The piano in the left channel, and the electric piano in the right channel, get a little lost on The Complete Singles. From the Top sounds like a flat transfer to me; there's bass, but it doesn't drown out the other instruments like it does on The Complete Singles.

Back
Top Bottom