Computer memory question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Blakesley

Staff member
OK, I have here a Dell computer with 1GB of memory. It has four, 256mb memory cards in it. Yesterday, one of the cards quit working.

If I were to replace the dead card, could I install two, 1GB cards (because they have to be installed in matched pairs) alongside the remaining two 256mb cards, or do the new cards need to match the preexisting ones? If so I'll probably replace all four...can never have too much memory, eh?

Before you yell, "RTFM!" I did and it's not very clear on this. Figured one of you 'puter whizzes would have the answer. :cool:

I know at one time you were supposed to put the higher-capacity memory in the first slots, leaving the smaller ones in the latter slots. Whether or not that's still true I don't know.

In fact, I think I need to do something with my memory. Whenever I try to connect to work's network, it makes it, but soon issues a blue-screen-of-death.

Harry

Mike Blakesley said:
OK, I have here a Dell computer with 1GB of memory. It has four, 256mb memory cards in it. Yesterday, one of the cards quit working.

If I were to replace the dead card, could I install two, 1GB cards (because they have to be installed in matched pairs) alongside the remaining two 256mb cards, or do the new cards need to match the preexisting ones? If so I'll probably replace all four...can never have too much memory, eh?

Before you yell, "RTFM!" I did and it's not very clear on this. Figured one of you 'puter whizzes would have the answer. :cool:

Mike--sorry I missed this.

You will need to RTFM in this case, as most motherboard have a specific order in which memory sticks should be installed. As luck would have it, I lost one of my three memory sticks on my Asus motherboard in the move, and my computer was DOA until I swapped out sticks to find which one was bad. Probably was static damage. At any rate, my Asus A7N8X-Deluxe says that in order to use the dual-channel feature of the memory, I should install sticks in slots 1 and 3, or 2 and 3, if I install only two. Your motherboard may want the same memory paired up in 1 and 2, and the same for 3 and 4. Memory speed and other specs should be the same as well; if not, memory will revert to the speed of the slowest sticks in the system. If it's dual channel like mine, you will want to be sure to arrange the memory to get the most performance out of it.

Do you know which Dell you have? We have a Dell Dimension here (can't recall the model #) and the manual I downloaded from Dell clued me in as to which type of memory to get.

Want to see what type of memory you have? Download Everest Home Edition: it will read everything from your hardware.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

Good memory deals online. I need a stick of DDR400 (PC-3200) to replace the one that got toasted. Probably will go with a 1GB stick now, since they were not available when I built this system.

Well...the plot thickens. A couple of days ago the system crashed again. So I put the pair of "defective" memory sticks back in...still no luck. So I put in sticks #1 and #3...and now it's working again and I have two "suspect" sticks.

My brother in law who is a bit of a computer geek said that maybe the problem is in the motherboard, rather than the memories. So...could the motherboard be "doing something" to these memory sticks or what?? I'm reluctant to spend $ on memory if the computer is going to fry it.

Oh I almost forgot -- to answer your question Neil, it's a Dimension 4700. And, the manual is clear on what kind of memory it takes... DDR2 SDRAM. Also I put the system's service tag code into the Dell website, and it came back with the type of memory I need to use.

So now the main question is...are these two sticks really bad, or is the motherboard the culprit?? Sometimes I hate computers.

Sometimes I hate computers as well. My Dell monitor went out last night, just a blank screen. I called Dell this evening after work - and put on hold for 20 minutes - only to get some woman from India (who sounded remarkably like Apu's wife from "The Simpsons"). After I told her what was and what wasn't happening she could only say "Oh, that is not good". Apparently, monitors aren't all that repairable. For now I've hooked up my 10-year old 15" HP monitor, with all of 32-bit color, and I'm straining to see much. But it will do until I get a new monitor sometime next week (I hope).

Capt. Bacardi

I feel your pain. I have a dead monitor too, from a 2004 computer (the sibling of the one with the memory problem...we bought these two at the same time and have had other issues with BOTH of them -- one had a bad hard drive, the other a bad processor.)

But, I've always had nothing but Dell computers and these are the only two I've had real big problems with...other than just wear-n-tear.

Mike Blakesley said:
Well...the plot thickens. A couple of days ago the system crashed again. So I put the pair of "defective" memory sticks back in...still no luck. So I put in sticks #1 and #3...and now it's working again and I have two "suspect" sticks.

Sheesh, I keep missing your posts...

Anyway, if I have this correct--you had four sticks, but you are now down to two? Were they original to the computer, or did you buy additional? I know some off-brand memory isn't so good, but if it has worked this long without failure, then there is something ruining those. My one bad stick was made by Samsung, like the others I've bought, so I know it wasn't a case of a cheap stick. Motherboard? It could be. Static usually kills memory, CPUs, or just about anything else that's a small silicon chip. Voltages too? Maybe. Although when a power supply goes bad, it usually just dies. Motherboard all gooked up with dust? Might be good to unplug it and blow it out with compressed air. I would think one stick going bad is more common, but now to have two go bad? I agree something's amiss, and I'd be hesistant about replacing it and possibly ruining two new sticks.

Mike Blakesley said:
Oh I almost forgot -- to answer your question Neil, it's a Dimension 4700. And, the manual is clear on what kind of memory it takes... DDR2 SDRAM. Also I put the system's service tag code into the Dell website, and it came back with the type of memory I need to use.

Good deal. :thumbsup: Most memory isn't expensive, but OTOH, why throw good money after bad?

Just checked the Dell and it has Samsung memory as well.

But, I've always had nothing but Dell computers and these are the only two I've had real big problems with...other than just wear-n-tear.

This Dell was a freebie--a buddy gave it to us since the hard drive got toasted and he didn't want to put a new drive in an "old" computer. It's not that old really--a Dimension 8300. I normally build all my computers, but since this was a freebie, it was a no-brainer to take it. :D Usually I hand-pick everything I want in a system and buy it from whoever has it the cheapest, either online (like at newegg.com) or at a local computer show where there are a few vendors I trust.

Next step is to get some LCD monitors...

I dunno if I'd get those LCDs if you have "tubes" that are working OK. (See my post above!)

Back to the memory thing...the sticks I have are original to the computer, all Samsungs. I already cleaned the dust out of the machine...it wasn't too bad but it was due.

I went ahead and ordered a mem upgrade for this thing. We'll see what happens. That's cheaper than a new motherboard I guess!

A motherboard is a crap shoot--if you were able to order a direct replacement from Dell, it would probably cost a small fortune. If you went with another MB that would work with your memory and CPU, it would probably cost less but work just as good, if not better. It's a bit of work to replace, but if you're good with hardware and connecting things where they need to go, then you'd have no problem. If that ever happened, I'd recommend stripping everything out of the case to get to the MB: you don't want to nick it or scratch it, or force it where it won't fit. Either way, the MB may not even be the problem.

Be sure to ground yourself when swapping out components. If you don't have a wristband, at least touch your arm or part of your body to the metal case to ground it out, to dissipate static.

The biggest problem I have at this moment is time. Between this job and the theatre, my spare time is zero. (Sometimes it takes me an hour or more to compose a Corner post because I get interrupted so often!) I would probably really get in to computer building if only I had the time to do it!

I've got the same deal myself, being pulled all different directions. I usually have to just pick a time to set aside everything else and just work on a project.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom