C's HORIZON cd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

Ya know,

I was just listening to the original HORIZON cd release and at some points, well many, the sound is much more LP like. The remastered classics somehow hasn't captured these subtle nuances. For instance, on SACD the drums beginning the song are more tut tut tut tut tut ta tut tut tut instead of dump da dump dump dump da da dump. At first listen this morning I was somewhat astounded at the sounds here. Perhaps this is simply that I haven't listened to this release in along time. Yet, I have truly heard a much closer resemblance to this lp release.

Hmmm,

JEFF

Jeff, what are the specs on that original CD of Horizon that you are referring to?

My original Horizins CD is: CD 4530

Is this your's?

I don't have the Remastered Classics.

I have the LP: SP4530 that I swear is one of my best sounding C albums, the sound is something I'm unable to describe but I burned the LP to CDR & it's incredible, goosebump city for me.

My orig HORIZON cd release is 4530 as well.

Meanwhile here's a point of interest, on the A&M records site there is pertinent info that is also light in comment and address. But one fantastic detail here is the mention of Karen & Richard having 44 Gold & Platinum records certified by the RIAA. Considering the duo's recording moments I was really proud of that info. To meet or beat this magnitude would be astounding.

Periodically we speak of sales figures per CarpenterS catalog. Has there been any recent data regarding same?

Talk 'bout cha winners,

Jeff

Speaking of HORIZON once more, I have also listened to DESPERADO and believe it could've held its own on the air waves. Karen belts on this lp. SOLITAIRE is another example.

On to another record, TICKET TO RIDE. I believe RC refers to this as his fave song, prod. or whatever. Anyway after several recent listenings on SACD, the '73 version also holds its own and if played in soundtrack or what have you TIX could score. I know that several of you deem C's music is not airplay. However take a couple of listenings. This tune still has a contemporary edge. The video itself is "new", funky and fresh. Soooo unlike the past/current VH1. Also we're swimming in a standards craze. How about the Ray Charles phenomenon? Looky, looky who went #1 in the years of rock-n-roll? Not to mention 3 Grammy's and record sales that completely dominated its generation.

Uhhuhh,

Jeff

I did some research and the actual number of RIAA certifications is 42, not 44. (Although there may be pending certifications on a couple of the recent releases so A&M may have been thinking ahead when they posted that to their site.)

The key thing to remember is this refers to the number of CERTIFICATIONS not separate albums or singles. Many, in fact most, of the Carpenters' albums have received multiple certifications. So if an album goes gold, then platinum, then double platinum, that counts as 3 even though it's the same album.

It's always bugged me when record companies use this "spin" as a way to make it sound like they've released more stuff than they actually have. In this case their "44" gold and platinum records are, in reality, only 24 actual "releases." (And I don't mean "only" in any derogatory way. That is a hell of an achievement that very few artists have matched!)

Here is a list of all the Carpenters' RIAA certifications:

10 for various gold singles (*see below)
3 for "Close to You" album (G, P, 2P)
3 for "Carpenters" album (G, P, 4P)
3 for "A Song for You" album (G, P, 3P)
3 for "Now & Then" album (G, P, 2P)
5 for "Singles 1969-1973" album (G, P, 3P, 4P, 7P)
2 for "Horizon" album (G, P)
2 for "A Kind of Hush" album (G, P)
2 for "Christmas Portrait" album (G, P)
3 for "Yesterday Once More" album (G, P, 2P)
1 for "Voice Of The Heart" album (G)
1 for "An Old Fashioned Christmas" (G)
1 for "Love Songs" album (G)
2 for "Close To You: Remembering the Carpenters" video (G, P)
1 for "Gold" album (G)

42 Total

(*Gold singles were: Close to You, We've Only Just Begun, For All We Know, Rainy Days and Mondays, Superstar, Hurting Eash Other, Sing, Yesterday Once More, Top of the World and Please, Mr. Postman)

So "Passage" and "Made In America" never went gold, huh - interesting. What other albums of theirs have not gone gold? (Again, like my friend above, I'm not ragging on them; it's curious to me which artists' CDs have a longer shelf life in catalog....)

JTCW

A&Mguyfromwayback said:
So "Passage" and "Made In America" never went gold, huh - interesting. What other albums of theirs have not gone gold? (Again, like my friend above, I'm not ragging on them; it's curious to me which artists' CDs have a longer shelf life in catalog....)

JTCW

What suprises me more is AKOH did go gold and platinum if I read that properly. It is generally considered a below par record as a whole.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom