CSG and Mono Lp's

rockdoctor

Here is a simple question that will not need a huge amount of discussion. It is to satisfy my curiosity.
Fool On The Hill appears to be the first to have CSG that I know of. I also know of The Brass Are Comin, Ye Me Le and the four of five in the Greatest Hits series.
What other lp's also got this treatment or did it die off after the Greatest Hits series?
In addition, what was the last Mono lp that was produced at A&M

Burt's soundtrack to BUTCH CASSIDY & THE SUNDANCE KID had it. So did the BOSSA RIO album. Miguel Rios' A SONG OF JOY had it. A&M's MUSIC BOX sampler had it.

In addition, there were special pressings for radio that had CSG added. The regular stock issues didn't have it, but A&M had special radio pressings that did. I've got two Baja Marimba Band white label promos with CSG. The Sandpipers THE WONDER OF YOU had a promo issue with CSG. Nick De Caro's album HAPPY HEART had a CSG promo. A version of Jimmy Rodgers promo of WINDMILLS OF YOUR MIND had CSG. There were others too. They generally contained a gold sticker that indicated that it was CSG processed. In singles, CSG was used through the 70s for promo copies. Lots of Carpenters promo singles are CSG'ed.

I believe the last stock mono album was Herb's BEAT OF THE BRASS, but just like the CSG's, A&M continued to put out mono versions of promo albums for AM radio stations. These also had mono stickers attached. That trend continued into the 70s. I have a SUMMERTIME promo mono, and a SOLID BRASS too. There was also Lani's SUN DOWN LADY that I found.

Mono single on promos continued up into the 80s.

Other labels used CSG too. WB/Reprise had a bunch, and sometimes were not even labeled as such.

Burt's soundtrack to BUTCH CASSIDY & THE SUNDANCE KID had it. So did the BOSSA RIO album. Miguel Rios' A SONG OF JOY had it. A&M's MUSIC BOX sampler had it.

In addition, there were special pressings for radio that had CSG added. The regular stock issues didn't have it, but A&M had special radio pressings that did. I've got two Baja Marimba Band white label promos with CSG. The Sandpipers THE WONDER OF YOU had a promo issue with CSG. Nick De Caro's album HAPPY HEART had a CSG promo. A version of Jimmy Rodgers promo of WINDMILLS OF YOUR MIND had CSG. There were others too. They generally contained a gold sticker that indicated that it was CSG processed. In singles, CSG was used through the 70s for promo copies. Lots of Carpenters promo singles are CSG'ed.

I believe the last stock mono album was Herb's BEAT OF THE BRASS, but just like the CSG's, A&M continued to put out mono versions of promo albums for AM radio stations. These also had mono stickers attached. That trend continued into the 70s. I have a SUMMERTIME promo mono, and a SOLID BRASS too. There was also Lani's SUN DOWN LADY that I found.

Mono single on promos continued up into the 80s.
Thanks Harry.
I have the copy of Music Box and never noticed that it was CSG but only recently got it. My copy of A Song Of Joy does not have the statement about CSG but maybe they were no longer marking it on the covers.
I did score a Mono Fool On The Hill at the same time I found Music Box. It is interesting to note that Fool has the statement about CSG. Since being mono, I would have thought it was unnecessary to have the statement on it.

You know, I got something backwards. A Song Of Joy was CSG'ed on the single stock 45, but the album was free if it. Sorry.

You know, I got something backwards. A Song Of Joy was CSG'ed on the single stock 45, but the album was free if it. Sorry.
Thanks again Harry. I have really enjoyed this website and have learned a lot about A&M and the artists. I am also glad to be able to share as well.

The biggest CSG surprise came to me over the past year or so and is probably mentioned elsewhere, but I'll add it here too.

The Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass CHRISTMAS ALBUM is sort of a hybrid of CSG'ness, and none of it is indicated on the cover or label. My first clue was "The Bell That Couldn't Jingle". Apparently Herb released a video to the tune by request, and when it was first playing, I had headphones on and thought Herb's vocal sounded a little "smeary" as to location. It's harder to hear because Herb overdubbed his lead with himself giving that sense of duality. And I got the idea to run the thing through the PhaseBug plug-in in Audacity. Instant clean-up of the sound. I could now tell when Herb stopped singing and the Brass members started singing.

I then tracked down a promo single and sure enough, the CSG designation was there:
1712448417065.png

So I went blissfully on my way with the knowledge that one track on the CHRISTMAS ALBUM was CSG'ed.

Listening further to the album and playing with PhaseBug, I was able to deduce that all of the Shorty Rogers choral openings used on the album were slathered with CSG. It's not terribly noticeable since the singers are generally isolated left and right. But occasionally there are some center-stage singers that, once adjusted with PhaseBug, now sound properly centered. These tracks with the choral openings are: "Winter Wonderland", "Jingle Bells", "My Favorite Things", and "Sleigh Ride". The trick here is to use the Phasebug plug-in on only the choral parts and leave the Tijuana Brass recordings untouched.

Back
Top Bottom