Curry Tjader

Status
Not open for further replies.

cakeicer

I received an odd thing in the mail a few weeks ago, addressed to me at my current address. Wondering if anyone else on the forum got this. A memorial service announcement for a Curry Tjader and his wife, given in Modesto, Ca. by their son. At first I thought it might have been someone I went to school with, Mrs. Tjader was born the same year as me. I asked
around with different classmates and no one knew who this was. The only
name I recognize as Tjader would be Cal (the musician) but if these people
are related to him I can't figure out how they got my name and address,
or why they would send this to me. :?:

Curry Tjader was the late Cal Tjader's brother. Curry played marimba in the Baja Marimba Band for many of their A&M albums. I wonder if this may have something to do with the Julius concert. Cal Tjader, back in the 50's thru the 70's, played a lot around the Bay area.

Rudy is right, SHirley. Curry was the other marimbaist in that great video snippet of "I'll Marimba You" where Julius and Curry sort of did a "dueling marimbas" schtick...

If I were there, I'd go! Maybe the families of some of the other departed TJB and BMB members can do joint memorial service...

Let's see... The Paganis, the Kalashs, the Cerolis, the Colemans (whom we met at the Julius tribute), the Charless... anyone else?

--Mr B

I don't recall what Curry died of, but he passed in 1999. Cal passed away back in the 80's (I want to say 1986).

Ah, now it's beginning to make sense to me. I'll bet it had something to do with Eleanor Coleman, I gave her my address when I met her at the Julius
concert in April. The service has passed by now, wish I had at least responded to the family, but at the time I didn't get the connection to the
BMB and had no idea who these people were. By the way Mr. Bill, I lost the
address for Mrs. Coleman and I had promised to send her a BMB video, if you still have it or maybe Tom or Dan, would you Email me at my AOL
Email address? Apparantly Curry Coleman as you mentioned passed away in '99 and Mrs. Tjader this year, I guess the family decided on a joint memorial service. I now wonder too how many of the BMB or TJB attended.

Welcome back, Shirley. I was beginning to think you'd skipped the country.
You might want to visit that "find a grave" site (bad pun) to get the correct birth/death dates of the Tjader musician brothers.
Bud Coleman died sometime in 1967. I recall he went in for routine surgery and died from an overdose of anesthetic. There was a huge lawsuit, reportedly settled. The story is probably in the newspaper archives, many of which are on microfilm at public libraries.
JB

Hi Jim,
Can't afford to skip the country, too many wedding expenses. I tried to talk the kids into letting me go along with them on their honeymoon, they went on a cruise to Alaska. They said no, I wouldn't have bothered them, I just wanted to watch the Whales!
Eleanor Coleman is such a nice woman, she took the time that evening at the concert to tell me a lot about her Husband Bud. Seems just before he went into surgery he had calls from many people wishing him well, including Lady Bird Johnson whom Eleanor says always loved Buds sombrero. I am looking through my old mail this morning in the hopes that I saved that memorial announcement regarding the Tjaders, but I haven't found it yet. I remember that it came from Arizona, and I beleive their sons name was Quinn. I will look up the site you suggested and read a little about Curry Tjader. I clearly recall the video they showed the night of the concert, which Mr. Bill mentioned, of Julius and Curry Tjader playing a duet, somehow I didn't make the connection when I received the memorial card. But they also had pictures on the screen of each member who had passed away, should have remembered him from that. :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom