Da Do Ron Ron on 8-Track

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark-T

Hi Everyone,
Does anyone remember this song on the 8 track of Now and Then? It ended on program 3 and continued onto 4 with an additional section of music that was not on the LP or cassette.
Does anyone have this version of the song on another source? I'm curious if it appeared elsewhere?
Mark

PS- were there other songs like this?

I never paid much attention to the whole concept of 8-tracks (Once I heard a song fade out on one track and back in on another, that was enough for me!), so this is news to me. Is it really another portion of the song, or did they back it up and rehash a prior segment? Can you describe it?

"Da Do Ron Ron" by Carpenters appears as a studio track in only three places that I know of (soon to be four with the new box set). Of course, it's on the Now And Then album, and it was released on the From The Top box set. The song (and Oldies medley) also appeared on the Japanese Anthology four-disc set.

One might think that "Da Do Ron Ron" would also be included in the oldies section of the Reader's Digest set, but that would be wrong. The Reader's Digest three-disc set has a section of oldies framed with "Yesterday Once More" as done on the Now & Then album, but Tony Peluso's DJ shtick is removed, and other oldies-type songs are thrown into the mix, like "Hush", "Help", "Postman", etc. along with the live "Bacharach-David Medley". Curiously, "Da Do Ron Ron" was eliminated from this line-up, the only song in the "Oldies Medley" to be missing.

The other recording of Carpenters' "Da Do Ron Ron" would of course be the live stuff from Live In Japan.

Harry
...curious about the 8-track, online...

Interesting! I should look for this on 8-track. I can spare the 25 cents. :wink:

-= N =-
...8-track equipped...

Since I never participated in the 8-track phenom,I have just found out about these interesting quirks in the history of the 8-track. The re-release of Harry Nilsson's "Aerial Pandemonium Ballet"(a highly recommended addition to those loving the early'70s A&M hip angle on MOR pop) features a hidden :30 second filler track that Harry used for the 8-track version so that the sequence would duplicate the LP( manufacturers moved songs around to fit the tape,not the listener's ear)-a very dry joke to the attentive listener! Another 8-track oddity- the potential follow up to Frank Sinatra's collaboration with Jobim("Sinatra/Jobim II") never had a vinyl version made up but 8-track white label promos were manufactured and this is a highly sought after collectable. I wonder if Tim Neely and his associates at Goldmine ever thought about a history of the 8-track? Mac

jimac51 said:
Another 8-track oddity- the potential follow up to Frank Sinatra's collaboration with Jobim("Sinatra/Jobim II") never had a vinyl version made up but 8-track white label promos were manufactured and this is a highly sought after collectable.

I wonder if this would have been the three unreleased tracks, plus the seven from Sinatra & Co.. On that one Sinatra Reprise discography website, there weren't any other documented recording dates than what the total of 20 tracks amounted to.

I wonder if Tim Neely and his associates at Goldmine ever thought about a history of the 8-track? Mac

There is a very active 8-track collecting and preservation community online. That, in itself, makes for an interesting Goldmine article. I don't know if 8-track would rate having a collector guide, but you never know!) One overriding theme is that this is a cheap way to collect music--opportunitsts who try to sell a $75 copy of Whipped Cream would be highly frowned upon. Even more than the music, there are instructions for repairing those cantankerous tapes, including replacing the foam backing (which pushed the tape against the tape heads) which in just about all foam-based tapes I've seen, has deteriorated. It's low budget, but also a lot of fun from what I've read. Figure you can often pick up large lots of prerecorded 8-tracks on eBay for anywhere from 10 to 50 cents per tape. I'm more interested in the occasional rarities...or would gladly pick up a vintage album for a buck on 8-track if I were interested in getting the CD.

-= N =-

To my ear, it sounded like additional music- as if it was faded out too soon on the LP and cassette- as if Richard left it in on the 8 track since he had time to fill up.
Mark

I have NOW AND THEN on 8-track in a box somewhere -- I know there was a shortened 'reprise' of "Yesterday Once More" on the cassette version, but I'll have to find the 8T and check "Da Doo...", plus I guess I'll need to do a little rewiring on the stereo system (LOL!).

Interesting .....I will have to find the 8 track I was kindly given a few years ago....still not played.

Wonder are there other track variations on other 8 track releases ? If so Carpenters collectors will be hunting for these aternates:cool:

Peter

I have Now & Then on 8-track. It's the only 8-track which has stayed with me all these years. We had all the Carpenters from Close To You to Horizon on 8-t. Unfortunately the tape on the N&T 8-track was all chewed up.

If anyone hasn't played an 8-track in quite a few years, be careful! Even on a couple of sealed 8-tracks I'd purchased last year, the foam had deteriorated, making the tape nearly unplayable. It's way too muffled to hear, but since it's not in close contact with the heads anymore, I'd be afraid of the tape getting mangled. (And as I learned the hard way, don't fast-forward the tape until it has been played through at least once. I "spilled" part of a new, blank 8-track inside the machine a few months ago.)

I'll have to check on the web--a couple of websites had tricks for repairing the foam. In fact, if I recall, it was a certain style of 3M weatherstripping that was just the right size to do the job.

I may have Carps 8-track or two, but definitely not "Now & Then".

-= N =-

Hey everybody,
Curiously enough, all this talk about 8 tracks inspired me to do a little digging...to my surprise I unearthed everything up to" Made in America" on 8 track, save "Ticket" and "Song4u". The most interesting discovery was a copy of "Passage", factory sealed and still in mint cond. I also found "Passage" & "Hush", vinyl, factory sealed and mint. Being an ardent or somewhat obsessed collector back in 1977 or so, I also have come to own 15 copies of "Occupants" on 45, mint. These items compliment the many Fan Club souvenirs I've acquired over the years. Belt buckles, pendants, pencils, pens, book covers, sheet music, programs, stationery, scarves, t-shirts, and when I met K&R in 1978 after a Lake Tahoe concert, personally autographed items. It's funny how opening a box can take you down memory lane...and fond memories they are...Why, it's Yesterday Once More!

Jeff

I konw the feeling, Jeff. Last trip to Dad's house, I picked up some LPs I"d listened to as a child. Some of it was dance music (meaning "big band" dance, not disco :wink: ), others were part of Dad's obsession with the Bossa Nova, finding quite a few Bossa knock-offs in his stuff. Managed to dig up a Martin Denny LP called Exotica which, coincidentally, has the late, great Julius Wechter on vibes and marimba in his pre-A&M phase. Also borrowed Paul Desmond's A&M/CTi album Summertime...playing it now, in fact!

I also picked up three 45RPM cases. Some of these 45s I've never listened to--some were part of a raid on a recording studio my cousin worked at, and he gave us a couple of empty boxes and opened up the storeroom where they had case upon case of promo 45s. Nothing A&M in the bunch, but surprisingly found an early Parliament single (George Clinton, Parliament/Funkadelic), about four copies of a horrid Wayne Newton single, and a few other curiosities. More interesting were the 45s I'd purchased or received as gifts. In A&M booty, I found the single of "Yesterday Once More" b/w "Road Ode". While I didn't find it in these cases, I know I had a copy of the single with "Hurting Each Other" b/w "Don't Be Afraid". (I think they were on the same single, anyway.)

What really grabs me about these singles is one fact: Carpenters made great records, perfect little three minute (give or take) productions that sounded as good on the turntable as I'm sure they sounded on radio in their day.

Just looking at the titles brought back a lot of memories, though. I've been a bit nostalgic lately, for a number of reasons (some of the reasons unpleasant :confused: ), but it's quite an eye opener to be "stepping through the past" by looking at something I haven't seen in a couple of decades at least.

-= N =-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom