Da Doo Ron Ron Extended on 8-Track

Cool, thanks. So there is no DJ talk over the ending...so weird to hear it like that but so cool to hear an alternate ending that's full without the chatter overlay.

So what is the short version of Yesterday Once More on side 1?

My pleasure! I figured it was the perfect excuse to do another montage. Then, my OCD kicked in, and I decided I needed to cover ALL of the original U.S. releases and publicity pictures I could dig up from the original release.

The ‘Yesterday Once More’ short version is the album cut with the second verse edited out. By the way, Rick, your 8-track
player RULES! Great clips you posted. I’ve also got an AKAI quad reel deck I bought used in 2001, which has an 8-track player built into the side of it. Worked great last time I used it, anyway. That could be a future post breaking down some of the channels.

A & M Retro any more surprises in the 8 track world would be very cool to hear. (I noted some differences on page 2 of this thread)

Oh those videos above are not mine lol I've never owned an 8 track tape player. Ha

Question: any reason why that 8-track recording is playing back in mono?

Tony Peluso rocked it!

He was such an integral part of the Carpenters' sound. I was thinking this morning after posting that last comment - "What would they have sounded like had Tony not been added to the group?". I suppose Richard would have found some other ingredient that would have worked.

Honestly, I think what Tony delivered to their sound and legacy is one of the more key ingredients necessary to the Carpenters' longevity. We've seen many critics do an about-face over the years, and I think Tony's contribution helped to make that happen.

Tony Peluso was absolutely key to so many Carpenters' recordings,
but, I fail to see how Richard.....
"would have found some other ingredient that would have worked."

By the way, Beechwood 4-5789 (in contradistinction to Please Mr. Postman)
does not have Tony Peluso on Guitars (it is Tim May).
And, you sure can tell the difference !

By the way, Beechwood 4-5789 (in contradistinction to Please Mr. Postman)
does not have Tony Peluso on Guitars (it is Tim May).
And, you sure can tell the difference !

Totally agree. Tim definitely is a monster and has been a fixture in the industry for decades now. But I always felt he was a little more mainstream in his delivery, almost too "pop" if you will. Tony brought a unique edge which is exactly what Karen & Richard needed.

By the way, Beechwood 4-5789 (in contradistinction to Please Mr. Postman) does not have Tony Peluso on Guitars (it is Tim May). And, you sure can tell the difference !

It’s Tony in the promo video and to be honest, I always thought it was actually him on the record.

^^That threw me off, too !
I recalled Tony in the video for Beechwood,
then, I read and re-read Credits on the LP.
Then, again, Karen is "seen" drumming in the early promo for Close To You,
even if she is not actually "drumming" on the recording !

The real difference is listening to Postman compared to Beechwood ,
then, I believe the guitar difference can be heard. (between Tony and Tim).
Then, again, you can 'hear' the difference in drumming, too ! (between Karen and Ron).

Well..since this is our official 8-Track Tape thread....
Put on your headphones and take a trip with me back to the 70's...decor and all...:laugh:...that click between tracks :yikes:

I had to laugh when you mentioned the "click". The 8 track player I had in my vehicle in the early 70s was particularly noisy in that respect. On one of my favorite tapes (Led Zeppelin II) it would do that at mid-song (the song being Ramble On)! To this day, when I hear that song on an FM album rock station, I know exactly where it was interrupted. It wasn't so much a "click", more like a pump shotgun being "racked". It's amazing how far technology has advanced.

Last edited:
Question: any reason why that 8-track recording is playing back in mono?

Wow, Harry, I didn't know it was in mono! Good catch. I will try another conversion with my AKAI deck and see if that fixes the issue. I'm wondering if it's the Realistic playback deck.

If the deck has left/right outlets on the back (highly likely), then it's outputting in stereo.

More likely the culprit is the software that you used to digitize it. Sometimes those settings default to mono. I've had that issue with one software package I use.

Reading back over this thread, I'm surprised they inserted "Intermission" at the end of the last channel on ASFY. Since the tune is only 22 seconds long, it would've been better to just leave silence there. I never noticed this back in the day...although by the time that album came out I was fully into LPs and not paying as close attention to the 8-tracks.

Back
Top Bottom