Da Doo Ron Ron Extended on 8-Track

Reading back over this thread, I'm surprised they inserted "Intermission" at the end of the last channel on ASFY. Since the tune is only 22 seconds long, it would've been better to just leave silence there. I never noticed this back in the day...although by the time that album came out I was fully into LPs and not paying as close attention to the 8-tracks.

I always thought of it as being a fun insertion when they had the time, energy, money and daring to do such a thing.

Makes me wonder if Richard has more of Tony playing on Goodbye to Love. I think I read somewhere that there are multiple takes of his solos.

By the way, Beechwood 4-5789 (in contradistinction to Please Mr. Postman)
does not have Tony Peluso on Guitars (it is Tim May).
And, you sure can tell the difference !

There was clearly an obvious creative mindset change overall in terms of the selection of material, personnel etc. by this time.

To add a little bit of supporting trivia, the track for Beechwood-45789 was actually recorded on the same day (November 7th, 1980) as Rainbow Connection and Sweet Talkin' Guy (outtake). A real variety of material, yet same rhythm section which included Tim May, Paulinho Da Costa, Ron Tutt and Joe Osborn. These guys were very flexible which is why they were generally first call.

As a side-note, Peluso was often acting contractor on many of the later sessions (Hal Blaine in the early days). Richard had a lot of respect for Tony and they went on to work together for many years following Karen's death.

To add a little bit of supporting trivia, the track for Beechwood-45789 was actually recorded on the same day (November 7th, 1980) as Rainbow Connection and Sweet Talkin' Guy (outtake). A real variety of material, yet same rhythm section which included Tim May, Paulinho Da Costa, Ron Tutt and Joe Osborn. These guys were very flexible which is why they were generally first call.
This is a perfect example of how Karen must have been able to adjust her singing style and vocals to suit different songs. I would never have dreamed that Beechwood and The Rainbow Connection were recorded on the same day. I'm still a firm believer that Karen's vocals were always the same it was her delivery, she knew how to use her vocals on different song choices. Mixing her vocals later had a lot to do with how it sounded on the final record.

Thanks for the information, Chris !

Much as I like Karen's vocals on Rainbow Connection,
I never cared much for the anemic arrangement.
Was that entire arrangement thought of/complete in 1980 ?
("Singers and orchestra added 1999"-Richard Carpenter.)

Thanks for the information, Chris !

Much as I like Karen's vocals on Rainbow Connection,
I never cared much for the anemic arrangement.
Was that entire arrangement thought of/complete in 1980 ?
("Singers and orchestra added 1999"-Richard Carpenter.)

No @GaryAlan at that point it was just a basic rhythm track and work lead vocal by Karen.

A&MRetro, you rock! Thanks so much for sharing that!

I do have YOM short version transferred from the K7 version somewhere in my files.

This is a perfect example of how Karen must have been able to adjust her singing style and vocals to suit different songs. I would never have dreamed that Beechwood and The Rainbow Connection were recorded on the same day. I'm still a firm believer that Karen's vocals were always the same it was her delivery, she knew how to use her vocals on different song choices. Mixing her vocals later had a lot to do with how it sounded on the final record.

As were Those Good Old Dreams and At The End Of A Song about two weeks later. Of course we're talking work leads and rhythm track(s) here to begin with, but illustrates again the diversity.

I saw the label for Offering 8 track online too... The songs are in a different order with Sometimes being seperated from Parade... I wonder if it had a cleaner start without the fade of the drums or was it just faded in as I've heard on some 7" single versions?

Would also love a clean version of DaDoRonRon without the DJ intro... And having this longer version is sublime! Thanks for sharing it with us...

With this new track, we now have all the oldies from Now & Then with the DJ. I love Tony Peulso's work on that, but it is nice to have something different.

I wonder why Disc 2 of Readers Digest didn't include Da Doo Ron Ron? It looks like they covered every other oldie on Now and Then

There was clearly an obvious creative mindset change overall in terms of the selection of material, personnel etc. by this time.

As a side-note, Peluso was often acting contractor on many of the later sessions (Hal Blaine in the early days). Richard had a lot of respect for Tony and they went on to work together for many years following Karen's death.
Sweet Talkin' Guy? Hadn't heard of that out take before... You always have those extra nuggets that are so enticing! Also - I love knowing the recording schedule... Is there a log out there with more of that intel? For instance, I'd love to know the date Only Yesterday was recorded... It truly is one of my favorites... and fore some reason, I think it'd be cool to know...

To add a little bit of supporting trivia, the track for Beechwood-45789 was actually recorded on the same day (November 7th, 1980) as Rainbow Connection and Sweet Talkin' Guy (outtake)

Again I wonder...why were they still trying to revive oldies by this late stage in their career? Richard must kick himself that he wasted so much precious studio time with Karen on such banal choices.

The song "Sweet Talkin' Guy" by The Chiffons (1966) reminds me of The "Bugaloos" theme song from Saturday morning (1970)!! Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Again I wonder...why were they still trying to revive oldies by this late stage in their career? Richard must kick himself that he wasted so much precious studio time with Karen on such banal choices.

He said in one interview that their fling with the "oldies" should have ended with "Please Mr. Postman."

It's easier to cover an existing song than it is to write a new song from the ground up, and that, combined with the big sales for "Postman" combined with the constant pressure to keep product flowing out, is undoubtedly what led him to keep doing the occasional oldie.

So November 7th must be a strong contender for the "SESSION FROM HELL" that Osborne spoke of. It certainly fits with his recollection of Karen hating the song (Rainbow Connection) and it being one of the last sessions he had with the duo. . .

That day was also a Friday, so I guess Joe was beginning to party for the weekend ahead.

later
Neil

Just like Now & You're Enough were done at the same time.

In reality they were recorded three days apart, with Now being the final tracking session (April 22nd and 25th respectively).

There were in addition a couple of other outtakes recorded alongside these. Some Guys Have All The Luck, Stop Me and Love You Through And Through, however none of these outtakes went through to full orchestration.

Last edited:
^^Thanks for the details, Chris May !
I always felt that the two songs--You're Enough and Now--
sounded different enough vocally as to have been recorded on distinct days.
My suspicion confirmed, after all these years.

^^Thanks for the details, Chris May !
I always felt that the two songs--You're Enough and Now--
sounded different enough vocally as to have been recorded on distinct days.
My suspicion confirmed, after all these years.

Yes, and I think the notation made by Richard that the two were Karen's final session(s) gives the impression that they were two songs recorded the same day. However, they were recorded on separate days albeit the final two sessions for the material on that album (as well as in her life unfortunately).

Back
Top Bottom