Danny Kaye '65

stolfstolf

By pure accident I stumbled upon a Youtube video of the TjB on the Danny Kaye Show. After his introduction, they perform a rousing live version of El Presidente (or is it Winds of Barcelona?) then ATOH. Art Mooshagian, not Tonni Kalash. I’m thinking this is Oct 27, 1965.

According to my list that would make it their 3rd national TV appearance, after Al Hirt’s Fanfare on July 31 (where I first heard them), and Mike Douglas on Aug 5. Does this sound right? Is there a master list? I haven’t been here for a while and I forget the policy on copyright material, but it’s easy enough to find…careful, there’s also a Danny Kaye clip from 1966.

Well, that answers my question about posting videos! Thanx...and what fun to find a live clip I'd never heard before, especially one so early. In 2018 I made 2 mix CDs of rare TjB stuff for my brother...well, for me too. I had a few cuts left over, so with this looks like volume 3 is on the way. Does the Corner have a list of TV appearances? I was working on one 2 years ago.

1965 TJB NATIONAL TV APPEARANCES

7/29/1965 The Mike Douglas Show
7/31/1965 Fanfare
8/5/1965 The Mike Douglas Show
10/27/1965 The Danny Kaye Show
11/7/1965 The Ed Sullivan Show
12/11/1965 Hollywood Palace

Can't believe that "Hollywood Palace" on ABC used the Glen Glenn Sound (laugh track) instead of a real audience!! (1964 - 1970)!!!

Yes, IMDB, TV.com, and metacriitic.com all list July 29 1965 for the Mike Douglas appearance, along with Betsy Palmer and Michael Tolan. Dunno where I got August 5. So is that the first, at least nationally? Anything locally before that?

I first saw them on a Grammy Awards show around the time of "A Taste Of Honey" winning big.

Yes, Harry...I have them appearing on the Grammy show, The Best on Record hosted by Bob Hope on May 16 1966. And from the California Digital Newspaper Collection on-line...7/28/65 Lloyd Thaxton Show, local on KCOP Los Angeles but I believe syndicated by that time. Also a Nov 11 1965 article in the San Bernardino Sun talks about Al Capp on a "recent" Tonight Show praising fellow guests the Tijuana Brass as not being anti-war (how did he know?) Nearest show I can find with Capp is Oct 28.

Back
Top Bottom