Dave Frishberg RIP

Sad day I liked Frishberg's music I love his "Blizzard of Lies" and "My Attorney Bernie" he had a great sense of humor in some of his own songs He will be missed and i became aware of him because of his TJB involvement in the 70s

Here's Lani Hall singing Frishberg's "Wheelers and Dealers" from her 2nd solo album on A&M. He sure could write good songs.

I didn't see any mention of his work on the two (2) TJB albums in any of his tributes. I enjoyed his work on TJB's Up Cherry Street, The Crave and others.

"Peel Me a Grape" came up on my Cal Tjader playlist yesterday--he recorded that with Anita O'Day.

Reactions: lj
Here is another terrific song cleverly written by Dave Frishberg--"Van Lingle Mungo"--a rhyming tribute to baseball stars of the 1930s. 40s and 50s.

A few things stand out from the August 1974 Herb Alpert & TJB concert I attented. First, I remember so well how Dave Frishberg vacated his piano so that Herb could play the piano and have a memorable performance of the song "Carmine"--later recorded on the "Coney Island" album. I also remember Lani Hall singing solo on only one song-- "Corrida de Jangada". It was great hearing her sing in Portuguese again. Then she and Herb sang their '74 duo "Save the Sunlight". A great performance. The only thing I regretted was not hearing Pete Jolly on accordion, as heard on their 45 single release. And finally the show ended with an exciting showstopper--"Zorba the Greek"--my favorite of all TJB songs. Great memories.

Steve--awesome photos. The one with Dave, Herb and Vince Charles on stage is just as I remembered it at my concert of Herb and the Brass in 1974. And the group picture including Lani is real nifty. I never saw the original TJB in concert in the late 1960s, but the concert in '74 more than made up for that.

Two musicians are missing from the group picture--Papito Henandez-bass, and Steve Schaeffer-drums. They both were in the TJB band at the 1974 concert I attended, along with Herb, Bob Findley, Bob Edmondson, Vince Charles, Julius Wechter, Dave Frishberg, and I can't recall who the guitarist was.

Two musicians are missing from the group picture--Papito Henandez-bass, and Steve Schaeffer-drums. They both were in the TJB band at the 1974 concert I attended, along with Herb, Bob Findley, Bob Edmondson, Vince Charles, Julius Wechter, Dave Frishberg, and I can't recall who the guitarist was.
Peter Woodford Replaced John Pisano on Guitar about that time

Hi...
the guitarist was John Pisano according to my video of the Tour in 1974 which was recorded in fall 1974 in Frankfurt, Germany and aired on December 31, 1974. May be I can post some interesting sections of this concert.

And finally the show ended with an exciting showstopper--"Zorba the Greek"--my favorite of all TJB songs. Great memories.
Both the You Smile and Coney gigs ended with "Zorba" when we saw them here. It got the entire audience on their feet and ended the gigs on a high note. Great times!

Hi...
the guitarist was John Pisano according to my video of the Tour in 1974 which was recorded in fall 1974 in Frankfurt, Germany and aired on December 31, 1974. May be I can post some interesting sections of this concert.
Arthur--how lucky you were to see a TJB concert on German TV in 1974. Who knows, maybe someday it will appear on YouTube. Here in the USA there are no live TJB concerts on video from years past. In the meantime by all means, if you can, I would be delighted if you could post those interesting sections from this concert.

The group photo above was the You Smile line up... Ernie McDaniel was replaced by Papito Hernandez. Nick Ceroli was replaced by Steve Schaeffer and a short time later Peter Woodford took over from John Pisano.

My family had a garage sale in 1974 and I happened to be wearing my You Smile t-shirt (given to me by the husband and wife who ran a local small record shop in Canoga Park called "Pal's Records"). A gentleman browsing our goods asked me about the shirt and if I was a fan. When I said I was he introduced himself as Ernie McDaniel and told me he was the bass player on the album. He said he wasn't touring with them and that Pat Senatore wasn't interested in coming back (busy with his own club and jazz label at the time) and that another guy named Papito was touring. Mr. McDaniel said he made more money as a session player then as a band member, LoL.

I've always wondered about Ceroli and Pisano leaving the 70's version of the brass and if their departures contributed to Herb shutting down the brass for good after Coney Island. Ceroli I believe left first as I've seen pictures of the TJB with Schaeffer on drums and Pisano still on guitar, but given the year between releases, I'm pretty sure one quickly followed the other.

I don't think there was bad blood as both returned for the Bullish tour and appeared in occasional guest capacities on each other's recordings after that. It's quite possible they just grew weary of touring and both were doing well as session players post-original TJB.

--Mr Bill

Mr Bill--Thanks for explaining the exact chronology of personnel changes during the 1973-1974-1975 era of the TJB. Now it all makes sense. No matter what the musical lineup was, there was a whole lot of talent during that second iteration of the Brass.

I got to know him here in PDX and was honored to produce a concert for him a few years ago, where he shared this priceless anecdote. You have to picture him playing the piano as he spoke, but he was talking about pitching a song to a NY publisher, and as he played, he started with something fairly generic like I vi ii, but then went to something like bIII7, at which point he said the publisher called out, "Stop! That's where you lose people!" :)

Back
Top Bottom