• Little Joe

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I Left My Heart In San Francisco

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • David's Mood, Part II

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters
Yeh, I looked...! :shock:

However, all kidding aside, if you go to eBay and look under "Music" then you'll see at least one copy of this LP as well as a few '45's of "Little Green Thing" by The Kingsmen--Yeah, the Dave Lewis song--, B/W "Killer Joe"...!!!

Check musicstack.com and GEMM as well...

There is also a version of "Little Green Thing" by Don & The Goodtimes on a '45' on Dunhill B/W "Sally Tease"... I don't think they recorded an actual album for Dunhill, though; only see at least two LP's on Epic and Scepter...

A hip lil' organ music album done in the manner of Jimmy Smith's recordings on Verve, and Jimmy McGriff's recordings on Sue, which you'll wonder if you'll ever see reissued, non-LP singles, and all...!

Dave

audiofile said:
I haven't heard this lp, but something tells me that there isn't that much jazz here at all.

It's jazz...I'm trying to think of a parallel in late 50s/early 60s jazz and can't think of one offhand. (Capt. B could probably offer up some suggestions.) But it's not hardcore bebop jazz or anything like that. "Lite Jazz" with guitar and drum; bass is played by the organ pedals. So yeah, it could sell as easily to the easy listening crowd as it could to those who like organ trio jazz that isn't all that tedious to listen to. (No Jimmy Smith here, but it's still good stuff.)

Harry said:
Dave Lewis
LITTLE GREEN THING

A&M SP-105

sp4105.jpg
Is the cover art image from the stereo or the mono version of the LP? I can't really read it, but looking at the image it looks like the mono catalog number on the lower right of the album cover. I think A&M often put stereo catalog numbers in the upper right and mono catalog numbers in the lower right. Just curious.

Layne

Last edited by a moderator:
That picture appears to be the mono. The stereo version had "STEREO STEREO STEREO STEREO" across the top along with the catalog number.

A&M's front cover slicks were oversized so that they could be used on either a stereo or mono album and had the stereo indicator at the top and the mono indicator at the bottom. Depending on which the album was, they could either fold over the top or bottom of the slick.

Harry

I don't have this album yet, but hopefully someday will. The cover is nice, and evocative of Blue Note LP jackets around the same time. All capital letters with names and words repeated in striking sizes.

I'm on a roll. Here's Little Green Thing from my stereo copy.

Having read more about Dave Lewis in recent years, he was a major figure in Pacific Northwest (and especially Seattle) R&B and rock. He played piano and electric piano (the Wurlitzer) up through 1962, when he switched to the Hammond B-3 organ. He had regional hits with "Little Green Thing" and "David's Mood -- Part II," the latter of which appeared on the regional Jerden label before A&M released the album (which is why it appears here in fake stereo). Jerden Records was famous for the hit single "Louie Louie" by The Kingsmen, and shares that same sound and rhythm from "David's Mood."

When Lewis was young, a family named Jones moved in next door. Lewis's father, also a musician, gave music lessons to the couple's son Quincy, a budding young trumpet player at the time. Also a young "Jimmy" Hendrix (as he was known back then) had sat in with the Dave Lewis Combo a few times.

I'm on a roll. Here's Little Green Thing from my stereo copy.

Having read more about Dave Lewis in recent years, he was a major figure in Pacific Northwest (and especially Seattle) R&B and rock. He played piano and electric piano (the Wurlitzer) up through 1962, when he switched to the Hammond B-3 organ. He had regional hits with "Little Green Thing" and "David's Mood -- Part II," the latter of which appeared on the regional Jerden label before A&M released the album (which is why it appears here in fake stereo). Jerden Records was famous for the hit single "Louie Louie" by The Kingsmen, and shares that same sound and rhythm from "David's Mood."

When Lewis was young, a family named Jones moved in next door. Lewis's father, also a musician, gave music lessons to the couple's son Quincy, a budding young trumpet player at the time. Also a young "Jimmy" Hendrix (as he was known back then) had sat in with the Dave Lewis Combo a few times.

I listened to this one and i like it it's got an old time funky feel to it.thank you for posting this and many other great rare A&M goodies they sound very good on my audio system here

Back
Top Bottom