Dave Meniketti's Y&T in Asheville NC

LPJim

Staff member
A small crowd of dedicated fans inside an intimate bar and restaurant is always a congenial atmosphere to take in a fine live performance. Last night's Y&T show at Asheville's Grey Eagle was no exception.

Though contained in a nondescript concrete building at the bottom of a hill, the venue serves some dynamite pulled pork burritos. It has hosted shows by the late Richie Havens and Hot Tuna, among other notables.

Opening for the band were Asheville's own power trio, Temptation's Wings. Their set was brief but intense with dark grunge. These guys have plenty of potential.

At age 63 the powerful voice of Dave Meniketti, founding front man and sole survivor of the classic lineup, remains a terrific force. His rapid fire lead guitar shredding drew many close to stage for the best view. With tight support from the relatively younger crew he mesmerized club show patrons for almost two hours. The set drew heavily from albums released on A&M in the early to mid '80s.

Drummer Milke Vanderhule pounded a vigorous solo late the program while the others took a well deserved break. Helping round out and preserve the classic sound were John Nymann (keyboards/vocals) and Aaron Leigh (bass/vocals). Among the tunes were several whose lyrics were well known enough for the audience to sing along:

Hurricane/ Dirty Girl/ Mean Streak/ Let Me Go/ I Believe in You/ Open Fire/ Rescue Me/ Forever/ Summertime Girls (perhaps their best known song).

"Wind of Change" was preceded by a dedication to three members of the classic lineup who have passed away. They included Leonard Haze (drums), Phil Kennemore (bass) and most recently Joy Alves (rhythm guitar).

Dave's wife, Jill, manages the tour, along with her personable assistant who handles merchandise. Both are great assets to the current organization. Along with t-shirts and stickers, there were bargain price reissues of essential classic albums from the A&M years. These include EARTHSHAKER, BLACK TIGER, IN ROCK WE TRUST and MEAN STREAK. Pricey online but available for $10 apiece at show venues.

In addition to management responsibilities Mrs. Meniketti is also a novelist. 'Welcome to the Groove House' is the account of the fall and rise of a fictitious rock star which no doubt has the ring of truth for those who've witnessed such things.

After the set the band hung out in the Grey Eagle's restaurant and bar while much of the audience expressed appreciation.

My trip over the mountain Thursday was to play the organ for the funeral of a long time family friend. It was a time for reconnection, telling old stories and eating some wonderful barbecue. Learning that Y&T was in town was a persuasive reason to stay over and extend the celebration of his life in an unconventional but rewarding way.

A clip from last night, "Let Me Go," shared on You Tube already ....

JB

Photo # 1: Dave Meniketti
Photo # 2: Jill MenikettiDSC02044.JPG DSC02045.JPG

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom