David Grant’s page

Song4uman

ibhave tried the last few days to get to his page and it seems to have disappeared. Anyone have any info on it??
Jonathan

I spoke with David a few months ago. He has been in poor health for some time, as he suffers from a degenerative nerve disease and isn't online as much these days.

Only the last few months I too have tried getting on there and the page just won't load. I wonder if this has anything to do with his illness.

That is awful to hear. He created a wonderful resource that I used very often when collecting. I wish him the best.

I've tried to access it over the past month a few times, and it seems to have gone offline. However, it is up on the Internet Archive:

The Carpenters

Of course the last albums that he had added were the 2009 40/40 albums.

Thanks for providing the link. I have spent the better part of this morning checking it out. I like his layout and his summations of each album are very good. Sorry to hear he is in poor health.

Incidentally what's interesting is that David mentioned it had been so long since he had even gone in to the website that it felt like an entirely different lifetime ago. That's the irony of social media and the internet - we see something that has just as much "life" in it as it did 20 years ago even though the creator may not have any real attachment to it any longer. Same is often the case with recording artists and actors. Intellectual property doesn't age... people do :)

Incidentally what's interesting is that David mentioned it had been so long since he had even gone in to the website that it felt like an entirely different lifetime ago. That's the irony of social media and the internet - we see something that has just as much "life" in it as it did 20 years ago even though the creator may not have any real attachment to it any longer. Same is often the case with recording artists and actors. Intellectual property doesn't age... people do :)

Wow, that's honestly a real profound piece of thinking there..

That is sad to hear that David is in poor health. Chris, if you're still in contact with him, please pass on my best wishes. His site is a very thorough resource and his commentary was interesting and well thought-out, particularly on the myriad of compilations that are out there, although it seemed clear that it wasn't an ongoing concern.

The internet is strange like that - some sites (even some that haven't been updated since the 1990s) are still there, while others disappear. Although there are some archive facilities now to capture old pages, there's still the risk that resources may just completely vanish, which is hardly a very reassuring prospect. I recall there being quite a lot of Carpenters fansites back in the early 2000s, but nearly all of them have disappeared. Another good one (Rocky's site or something like that) used to have all the fanclub letters on it, but it ended up getting infested with malware and has been absent for some years now.

Given that there's no official online presence, it leaves a bit of a gap in the online knowledge market. This site is probably the most comprehensive of what's still online!

Another good one (Rocky's site or something like that) used to have all the fanclub letters on it, but it ended up getting infested with malware and has been absent for some years now.

I remember when I was at university back in the mid 1990s sending Rocky a word for word transcript of the BBC Radio 2 documentary commemorating the 10th Anniversary of Karen’s passing. He hosted them on his site in “episodes”. It’s a shame the site is no longer available.

Given that there's no official online presence, it leaves a bit of a gap in the online knowledge market. This site is probably the most comprehensive of what's still online!

Agreed! I’ve learnt a lot from chatting to people on here and reading some of the older posts.

Another good one (Rocky's site or something like that) used to have all the fanclub letters on it, but it ended up getting infested with malware and has been absent for some years now.

That’s a shame. I’d have enjoyed reading through the old fanclub letters.

Back
Top Bottom