David Holtz Reel & Rock

tomswift2002

I was just looking around and I came across an album by a Bluegrass artist named David Holtz called “Reel & Rock” that was put out in 1985, and apparently one of the Harmony vocalists was Richard Carpenter. Anyone heard this before?

I got this CD in the mail today. I’ve only listened to one track, #2 “Free Little Bird” (my PS3 was set to random). This song is bluegrass. You got the banjo, harmonica—-bluegrass! As the CD says “Traditional And Original Old-Time Music”.

Anyway, the big question is is Richard Carpenter Of The Carpenters on this CD as a vocalist? On “Free Little Bird”The backing vocals are arranged in the usual bluegrass way where it’s a group backing the lead. I wasn’t listening over headphones but just speakers. It sounded like Richard’s vocals might be there, but all the vocals were mixed low and they were harmonizing with each other. And the liner notes are no use, as Richard Carpenter is only listed as “Additional Vocals” and the song notes just list the composers and arrangers (most are Traditional) and a brief history about where David Holtz first heard the song.

The album was recorded in Asheville and Todd, North Carolina, And was released by High Windy Audio in Fairview, NC, although the actual disc and paper inserts were printed in Canada.

Anyway, the big question is is Richard Carpenter Of The Carpenters on this CD as a vocalist?
It could be Richard "Rick" Carpenter, a member of "The Black Mountain Bluegrass Boys". They are a traditional bluegrass band from West Virginia.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom