Desert Island discs II

Status
Not open for further replies.

jww

For this question, I propose the following list for you all to provide for each of us to examine and discuss:

You are stranded on a desert island (alone), but with a home, electricity, food, etc... and with YOUR ENTIRE A&M COLLECTION of lps/cds/videos/cassettes and the like. Can you think of any other music (what other music ?) that you would like to have with you? Perhaps 5 to 10 cds/lps that you would have to narrow down to to accompany you and the A&M collection on your journey. (Try to avoid compilation sets here, but if you can't, you can't -- just no "the entire Sinatra Reprise Collection Box Sets, etc.. :wink: )

(Plus, we get to see other artists that we each like outside "the family" :)

J- ...awake when the world sleeps...:cool:

Here a few to chew on, as I break and make the rules: :D

5 Box set to take, < 5 discs each:
1) Beach Boys Box
2) Elvis 70s Box
3) CSN Box
4) Yes-Years Box
5) Byrds Box

5 Jazz single discs to take:
1) Art Blakey Freedom Rider
2) Lee Morgan Carumba
3) Charles Lloyd Canto
4) Wayne Shorter Soothsayer
5) Andrew Hill Point of Departure
-- subject to change tomorrow.... J-
(Don't sweat this to much, it's just for fun, you can always add to them tomorrow... :D )

Today's picks (along with a couple of long-time favorites):

1. Jean-Luc Ponty: Life Enigma
  2. Steely Dan: Two Against Nature (or Aja)
  3. Pat Metheny Group: Speaking Of Now
  4. Peter Gabriel: Peter Gabriel :wink:
  5. Stevie Ray Vaughan: The Real Deal: Greatest Hits Vol. 2
  6. Burt Bacharach: Look Of Love box set
  7. Cal Tjader: Greatest Hits CD (combines the two Fantasy LPs)
  8. The Animals: Best Of The Animals
  9. Brian Setzer Orchestra: The Dirty Boogie
  10. Genesis: A Trick Of The Tail

This list is seasonal--in the winter, I tend to listen to less of the rock music and slip into more jazz or instrumental.

If I slip into my home-brew CD mode, I'd substitute some of these with the following:

• 3-CD Pat Metheny Group compilation
  • Brian Setzer Orchestra best-of
  • 2-CD condensation of all four Stevie Ray Vaughan studio albums
  • 4-CD Jean-Luc Ponty compilation
  • Rolling Stones Ultimate Hot Rocks (combines almost all of the tracks from Hot Rocks and More Hot Rocks on two CDs)
  • Peter Gabriel "best of"

Tomorrow? Don't ask. :D

-= N =-

Top 5 A&M:
SP-3002- A.C. Jobim-Wave
SP-3013- Tamba 4-Samba Blim
SP-3019- Milton Nascimento-Courage
SP-3031- A.C. Jobim-Tide
SP-3032- Paul Desmond-Bridge Over Troubled Water
SP-3035- Edu Lobo-Sergio Mendes Presents

(Okay, that's six. Such an abundance of riches, courtesy of A&M.)
With these, I'm talking about involuntary goose-bumps, hair-o-the-arm standing straight up, and sound clips that play in my mind during moments of joy and exhilaration. These LPs are life-changing, life-affirming, and life-fulfilling. We connected from the first encounter.
As a resident of this Desert Island metaphor -- a destination with or without electricity -- just give me these. I promise I won't need anything else.

Adding 4 more to make the Top 10:
SP-3001- Wes Montgomery-A Day In the Life
SP-3023- Quincy Jones-Walking in Space
SP-3024- Paul Desmond-From the Hot Afternoon
SP-3034- Roger Kellaway-Cello Quartet

Now I'm getting verklimpt. Please...talk amongst yourselves.

Okay, here's my 5 Desert Island A&M Rockers (punk and classic):
SP-3123 Procol Harum-A Salty Dog
SP-4302 Lee Michaels-Fifth
SP-009 Buzzcocks-A Different Kind of Tension (on IRS)
SP-70020 Magazine- Magic, Murder, and the Weather (on IRS)
SP-4802 Squeeze-Argybargy
They absolutely dispell any brief notions of a mis-spent youth.

Nothing like a desert island with all the fixin's. :cool: My list would include:

Don Ellis - Tears Of Joy
Frank Zappa - Live At The Roxy And Elsewhere
Beatles - Abbey Road
Jean-Luc Ponty - Enigmatic Ocean
Bill Bruford - One Of A Kind
Stevie Wonder - Songs In The Key Of Life
Stevie Ray Vaughn - In Step
Chicago - II
Little Feat - Waiting On Columbus
J.J. Johnson - J.J. Inc.

Capt. Bacardi
...one day away from vacation online...

Your selections are about as widely varied as mine. :wink: But just from the sheer number of recordings I own, I couldn't imagine taking only 10! Now, if I were set afloat in a boat with a fully-loaded Pioneer PD-F1009 300-CD changer...NOW we're talking! :D (And yes, I'm half tempted to get one of those eventually! :D )

-= N =-

I take it this is a Non-A&M Desert Island list? Or a Desert Island Non-A&M List?

I'd like to be stranded with:

1-- Gabor Szabo HIS GREAT HITS on impulse!

2-- Gabor Szabo MAGICAL CONNECTION on Blue Thumb

3-- Russ Giguere (Former member of The Association) Hexagram XVI on Warner Bros.

4-- Denny Doherty (of Mama's & Papa's) WHATCHA GONNA DO? on Dunhill/abc

5-- Barbra Streisand STONEY END on Columbia

6-- Sergio Mendes & Brasil '77 LOVE MUSIC on Bell

7-- Claudine Longet WE'VE ONLY JUST BEGUN on Barnaby

8-- Vikki Carr MISS AMERICA/ONE HELL OF A WOMAN...her 2 Best Columbia Albums on 1 Golden Collectibles CD

9-- Andy Williams RAINDROPS KEEP FALLING ON MY HEAD/GET TOGETHER...2 Col. LP's on 1 Golden Coll. CD

10-- Clint Holmes PLAYGROUND IN MY MIND on Epic (My Vinyl Copy, though also have on Golden Collectibles CD, too :wink: )

Dave

...My List also Subject To Change...

OK, if I were allowed to change THESE Desert Island Discs, I guess they would be:

1-- Gabor Szabo JAZZ RAGA on impulse! ...forgot THIS is the first Szabo LP I dropped the needle on; Great Sitar and Drums played by Bernard "Pretty" Purdie...

2-- Nancy Sinatra & Lee Hazelwood NANCY & LEE AGAIN on RCA ...Better than First Effort on Reprise; should be reissued on CD; "Big Red Balloon" is my favorite track...

3-- Fire & Rain LIVING TOGETHER on 20th Century ...The Incredible Male & Female Duo of Manny Freiser and Pat McCarron; Better than 1st effort on Mercury, 'cept for a couple o' good songs; also have different version of one song on Double Sided Promo '45' ("Make Love To Me") only SHE sings on...

4-- Gary McFarland TODAY on Skye ...Best LP by Vibist & sometimes Hummer & Whistler :wink: ...

5-- Roberta Flack FEEL LIKE MAKIN' LOVE on Atlantic ...Still a Classic...

6-- Nick De Caro ITALIAN GRAFFITI on Blue Thumb ...still have copy I bought new some Seven Years Ago...

7-- Claudine Longet WHILE YOU WERE SLEEPING on Barnaby ...just as good as previous Barnaby set...

8-- Roxy Music COUNTRY LIFE on Atco ...not a big Roxy fan, but I like this one, welllll...for SOME particular reason... :twisted:

9-- Elvis Presley ON STAGE 1970 on RCA ...just for his great version of Del Shannon's "Runaway"...

10-- Dusty Springfield CAMEO on Dunhill/abc ...the island can get a lil' lonely at night...

Dave

Think THIS list will be it for D/I 2... :D

First and foremost, numero uno: Getz/Gilberto on Verve. Although it's a something of a cliche to name this as a "desert island disc," it lives up to the hype... I'm surprised no one has mentioned this record yet. I guess "Girl From Ipanema" is overplayed, but the album as a whole must be one of the most beautiful LPs, if not THE single most beautiful LP, ever committed to vinyl. IMHO of course. :)

The remaining nine (subject to change without notice, etc.):

Jazz Impressions Of New York (Columbia) - Dave Brubeck 4tet
Return To Forever (ECM) - Chick Corea
Skylark (CTi) - Paul Desmond
Moonbeams (Riverside) - Bill Evans
What's Going On (Motown) - Marvin Gaye
Shadow Of Your Smile (Verve) - Astrud Gilberto
Speak Like A Child (Blue Note) - Herbie Hancock
Jobim (MCA) - A.C. Jobim
Kansas City Sessions (GRP) - Lester Young

OR, alternately: I'll live without any music if I'm allowed to take Penelope Cruz, Laetitia Casta, and/or Eva Herzigova to the island instead. In fact, I think I'd prefer that... keep the records! :D

- William

William said:
First and foremost, numero uno: Getz/Gilberto on Verve. Although it's a something of a cliche to name this as a "desert island disc," it lives up to the hype...

I still think I'd rather be stranded with a 300-CD changer. I'd hate to leave something like this behind! :)

William said:
OR, alternately: I'll live without any music if I'm allowed to take Penelope Cruz, Laetitia Casta, and/or Eva Herzigova to the island instead. In fact, I think I'd prefer that... keep the records! :D

Good point! :D

-= N =-

Only five, huh?

Forgiven, Not Forgotten - The Corrs
Talk On Corners - The Corrs
In Blue - The Corrs
Kaleiodoscope World - Swing Out Sister
Ashes Are Burning - Renaissance

Harry
...thankful he gets to take his Corrs albums, online...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom