Did Karen Like the Sound of Her Singing Voice?

Mark-T

It's well known she was very impressed by all of Richard's numerous, God-given, gifts. But I wonder of she ever commented on the sound of her equally blessed vocal talent. Anyone know?

In an interview with Christie Eliezer, she spoke of the fact that her voice was comparatively soft, with a comment something like, "Even if I screamed, I couldn't sing as loud as some people. I just open my mouth and thank God it's there".

She recognised her lower register and the fact that record-buyers identified with it, with the comment, "The money's in the basement".

On the radio interview where she sang a line from "Laughter In the Rain", (I can't remember which interview that was), she demonstrated a low note and made a comment about it, but I can't remember what she said. I think it was the "...money's in the basement" type of thing.

I only remember matter-of-fact type of comments like that, rather than singing her own praises.

She looked comfortable listening to 'For All we Know' on the 'This Is your Life' appearance.

I personally think that she was fairly comfortable with her voice. You couldn't do the job that she did and stand up in front of thousands of people unless you had a reasonable amount of confidence in your sound.

John Bettis, in an interview, made the comment that Karen had quite a bit of front or push - I can't remember the term he used. That also suggests to me that she was comfortable to have her voice heard.

There was also the story in the Ray Coleman book where, if someone in a Department Store seemed to almost recognise her but not quite, she would linger around them, humming a Carpenters song. (Maybe she only ever did that once or twice, to give a friend a laugh, or maybe it's only a story - who knows?) This also suggests that she was comfortable to be recognised by her voice.

In an interview with Christie Eliezer, she spoke of the fact that her voice was comparatively soft, with a comment something like, "Even if I screamed, I couldn't sing as loud as some people. I just open my mouth and thank God it's there".

She recognised her lower register and the fact that record-buyers identified with it, with the comment, "The money's in the basement".

On the radio interview where she sang a line from "Laughter In the Rain", (I can't remember which interview that was), she demonstrated a low note and made a comment about it, but I can't remember what she said. I think it was the "...money's in the basement" type of thing.

I only remember matter-of-fact type of comments like that, rather than singing her own praises.

She looked comfortable listening to 'For All we Know' on the 'This Is your Life' appearance.

I personally think that she was fairly comfortable with her voice. You couldn't do the job that she did and stand up in front of thousands of people unless you had a reasonable amount of confidence in your sound.

John Bettis, in an interview, made the comment that Karen had quite a bit of front or push - I can't remember the term he used. That also suggests to me that she was comfortable to have her voice heard.

I think its in this interview she sings a bit of barry Manilow. She mentions that their Christmas album can bring her to tears.

Somewhere, Karen mentioned that when the idea of singing lessons had come up, someone, (Frank Pooler?), had recommended, "Don't touch it", because her singing style was a natural thing.

In a 1976 story, Don Short wrote that Karen said about Herb Alpert, "When he set out in the business, he went to one of the major companies and said, 'I've got this great trumpet idea' - which they didn't want to know about. When we set out, Richard mentioned that his sister sang as well as played the drums and they turned a deaf ear'.

Somewhere else, she mentioned that when they were out on tour, their voices ran down like the amps did.

It's been over 15 years since I've heard the snippet you're referring to, but I remember the comment as "Is that the right key?"

So, if you locate the March 1973 "home video" of Karen at her birthday party,
Karen is asked to "sing" around the table (at 47sec). You might be surprised at Karen's response.
(I provide no link, as it is inappropriate to do so).

When "promoting" her career (tv or radio interviews), she was undoubtedly aware of her unique gift.
The 1979/1980 20/20 Alpert interview where she sings a snippet of Superstar is priceless.
In a private, personal, setting-- I am not so sure she was comfortable (March 1973).

Karen is asked to "sing" around the table (at 47sec). You might be surprised at Karen's response.

Why? What did she say?

When "promoting" her career (tv or radio interviews), she was undoubtedly aware of her unique gift.
The 1979/1980 20/20 Alpert interview where she sings a snippet of Superstar is priceless.
In a private, personal, setting-- I am not so sure she was comfortable (March 1973).

I don’t think it’s inappropriate to post here (nothing salacious or political) - I remember Karen saying that she’s tired or she’s out of songs or some such thing when someone is prodding her to sing a song on her birthday.

The video is a personal home movie of Karen's 1973 birthday party.
As it was never intended for public distribution, I believe it is inappropriate to link to it.
But, Karen does not say she is tired (another person mentions that). That is not the reason she does not want to sing at the table.
I only remembered the video when I thought of this thread: Does Karen like the sound of her singing voice ?

The video is a personal home movie of Karen's 1973 birthday party.
As it was never intended for public distribution, I believe it is inappropriate to link to it.
But, Karen does not say she is tired (another person mentions that). That is not the reason she does not want to sing at the table.
I only remembered the video when I thought of this thread: Does Karen like the sound of her singing voice ?

I mean, it’s on YT and we’ve all seen it. Sure it wasn’t intended to be seen publicly, but I can’t imagine Karen making a fuss about this small, not-too-revealing glimpse into her home life being seen if she was around today. The video doesn’t even give any real indication as to how she feels about it. The only instance I can recall of this is in the Ray Coleman book when he talks about she knew she had a gift of emotional communication, that her voice moved people, that it was distinctive, that she had perfect intonation/pitch, etc.

I think it's a shame Richard didn't keep Karen's second verse. I assume it's because she said "Each time" twice instead of "each night." I wonder if just the "each night" from the first verse could have been spliced in.

It's been over 15 years since I've heard the snippet you're referring to, but I remember the comment as "Is that the right key?"

I didn’t mean she made a comment about singing ‘Laughter in the Rain’. 😄 I meant on the same interview where she sang a line from ‘Laughter In the Rain’, she sang a low note and made a comment about it - made a brief mention about using her lower register. 😄

I just remembered, in an Australian radio interview, Karen said that they only recorded ‘Rainy Days and Mondays’ “at the last minute” and that it “really turned out nice”. This comment isn’t solely related to her vocal performance but she would have had to be considering her vocal performance when she said that.

Back
Top Bottom