Did not see Carpenters in concert

AM Matt

Forum Undertaker
Just to let you know that I was 17 & 1/2 years old when Karen died on February 4, 1983 & did not go to any of The Carpenters concerts with my late parents back then in the state of Michigan. I was in 10th grade in high school.

I have a similar reflection. I was a bit older than you were when Karen passed. I was 25. I have never seen Carpenters in concert either. I was 17 the last time Carpenters performed near my area (Philly). This would have been at the summit of their career in 1974. In retrospect, I would run down to Tower Records and buy their LPs and I was able to watch all of their many TV appearances as they were broadcast, although seeing them live was just out of reach as I was shy of my concert going years. We were there in time to see the stern drifting by us @AM Matt.

Sadly, I also have the same experience. I was 15 and still at secondary school when the Carpenters toured the UK in 1976. My family lived in the countryside and I would probably have been unable to get home after the concert, so it was considered a no-no. The BBC televised some of the concert, which was great, but I particularly wanted to see the stuff that wasn't on the albums like the Grease skit. Years later, I briefly met R&K in London at a signing session for 'Made in America', and Richard said they hoped to tour the following year, but by then Karen was gone.

I've been a fan since I was 10 years old. I never got the chance to see them live, but I have seen Richard a couple of times and was able to finally see Karen at her viewing.

I’m currently a junior in high school, so I was born more than 20 years too late to see them live (am I the youngest person on this forum? I’m not sure), however I have been hearing their music for literally my entire life. My grandma did see the Carps live sometime in the early ‘70s (she also saw Dionne Warwick in the late ‘60s) - my love for their music kind of runs in the family. 😆

I agree, the recordings of their live performances are very cool to see, but I’m still left wondering what it would have been like to have actually been there in person. Their presence almost seemed to be an electrifying feeling, as in you could almost feel the whole room move when Karen sang. Hearing her voice live, as well as being a room filled with Richard’s amazing arrangements seems like it would have been almost overwhelming. Those who were lucky enough to see the Carps in concert am I correct in this assessment?

I’m currently a junior in high school, so I was born more than 20 years too late to see them live (am I the youngest person on this forum? I’m not sure), however I have been hearing their music for literally my entire life. My grandma did see the Carps live sometime in the early ‘70s (she also saw Dionne Warwick in the late ‘60s) - my love for their music kind of runs in the family. 😆

I agree, the recordings of their live performances are very cool to see, but I’m still left wondering what it would have been like to have actually been there in person. Their presence almost seemed to be an electrifying feeling, as in you could almost feel the whole room move when Karen sang. Hearing her voice live, as well as being a room filled with Richard’s amazing arrangements seems like it would have been almost overwhelming. Those who were lucky enough to see the Carps in concert am I correct in this assessment?
Jack I’m another one who was born too late to see them. Although I was born in a year when two of their greatest albums came out: Christmas Portrait: Special Edition and An Old-Fashioned Christmas.

I attended a concert in Dayton Ohio in 1971, I believe. I was in High School and word got out the next day that I attended the concert and got autographs too. Signed poster including a photo of me with the duo is still hanging on the wall in my office. Then again in 1978, I attended a performance in Las Vegas. So kind of at the beginning and toward the end of their live performances. My heart pounded with excitement just the same!

I think more and more fans are ones who didn't get the thrill of seeing them live. I wonder if a hologram show would work for them as it does for ABBA. I'd love to see it.

I think more and more fans are ones who didn't get the thrill of seeing them live. I wonder if a hologram show would work for them as it does for ABBA. I'd love to see it.
Now that I think is a really neat idea. It would be a very cool experience, and it would help to continue to cement their legacy throughout music history. However, for the people who actually saw K&R in person it may be a little weird to suddenly just see virtual versions of them. But for those of us who never got the chance to see the real deal this would probably be the next best thing.

I'm not sure if they ever toured in Montana or not, but I don't know about it if they did. So, I never got a chance to see them live either. I wonder if a hologram show could do anything about Karen's prom-dress outfits? I'm no clothes expert but those clothes probably didn't help their image any.

I'm not sure if they ever toured in Montana or not, but I don't know about it if they did. So, I never got a chance to see them live either. I wonder if a hologram show could do anything about Karen's prom-dress outfits? I'm no clothes expert but those clothes probably didn't help their image any.

Those granny gowns she wore from 1970-1973 were awful. Absolutely hideous. And I don’t remember any other female artists in the music business at the time wearing similar, so they couldn’t argue it was fashionable.

By 1974 she had got it spot on, and looked terrific.

d58fd13bdd513c7cce6c66f968762355.jpg

the-carpenters-perform-on-stage-london-22nd-february-1974-karen-picture-id109369316

Back
Top Bottom