Different Versions - Same Song

abstract_fan

When Mr. A. decides to revisit a song he already recorded, sometimes I enjoy both versions equally, and sometimes I enjoy one version over the other (from a little more to a lot).

I'm Comin' Home - EQUAL
I Can't Stop Thinking About You - EQUAL
Up Cherry Street - EQUAL
Zoo Train - 21 - EQUAL

Slick - Well, one version I enjoy more, you can guess (I'm 67 years old).

South of the Border - SAME as Slick.

Thoughts anyone?

I would have to agree with you and I'm only 54 at this point I would also add "You smile the song Begins" both 1974 and 1981 versions. I love them equally and "Flamingo" from S.R.O and From Second Wind. The later third version of Flamingo not so much.

Anytime he's remade a TJB song, I find I like the TJB version the best, but that's just because I like the TJB "sound" better than the current sound Herb is exploring. The current music is good, just not as much to my liking as the TJB music, but there's no accounting for taste....it just is what it is. If Herb likes what he's doing, that's the most important.

I would have to agree with you and I'm only 54 at this point I would also add "You smile the song Begins" both 1974 and 1981 versions. I love them equally and "Flamingo" from S.R.O and From Second Wind. The later third version of Flamingo not so much.
Yes. You Smile is a special case because it's TJB vs. solo and I put it as EQUAL.

"Route 101" was also remade for Passion Dance in more of a salsa-styled live ensemble setting. The album is a high spot in his career that few here like. Being into salsa and other Latin recordings, it's right up my alley.

Anytime he's remade a TJB song, I find I like the TJB version the best, but that's just because I like the TJB "sound" better than the current sound Herb is exploring. The current music is good, just not as much to my liking as the TJB music, but there's no accounting for taste....it just is what it is. If Herb likes what he's doing, that's the most important.
I tend to agree with this most of the time. There was one re-do that he's done that I really liked - the "reimagined" version of "Wade In The Water". But I like the original so much, I can't give the remake the top slot.

I do gravitate towards those I first heard if given a choice--I grew up with many of the original versions, so my memory defaults to the version I know well.

It's not so much with Herb, but with other artists I follow who redo their songs later in life, I find I listen to the new version once or twice and then never listen to it again. But these are versions where they are a near-copy of the original, not reinvented (like what Joe Jackson does on his live recordings--each new version is an adventure), or others like Herb who completely redo the song with a new arrangement.

Winds of Barcelona; and El Presidente SOTB and Reimagined - EQUAL
Whistlestar (2 versions) - EQUAL
The Lonely Bull - original and Reimagined (because of the new ending which really startled me when I first heard it - LOVE IT!) - EQUAL; other versions not so much.

I very much like A Taste of Honey on Midnight Sun, and as the bonus download of I Feel You; but it would probably be unfair to compare it to the Record of the Year 1966 Grammy Awards version. (Not so hot on Reimagine or ReWhipped versions.)

Same with What Now My Love on I Feel You, except I clearly do not enjoy that one at all.

Of the several versions of it, the version of Besame Mucho I like best is from The Main Event album.

Technically Rewhipped are just remixes, and rather poor ones at that...

Back
Top Bottom