Director of "Superstar" video

Live in Phoenix

Hello, I am running a best music video poll at another website. Someone nominated the Carpenters' "Superstar," and I have been searching in vain for the identity of the director (let alone further context such as the year of the video, and the film set). Maybe it is lost to time at this point, but I thought I would ask your forum for help on this. Thank you for whatever help you can offer.

YouTube word search: Carpenters - Superstar (Official Video)
Or click here:

Hello, I am running a best music video poll at another website. Someone nominated the Carpenters' "Superstar," and I have been searching in vain for the identity of the director (let alone further context such as the year of the video, and the film set). Maybe it is lost to time at this point, but I thought I would ask your forum for help on this. Thank you for whatever help you can offer.

YouTube word search: Carpenters - Superstar (Official Video)
Or click here:

Don't know who the director was; however, from what I understand, this was filmed in Las Vegas (Sands?) during one of their engagements there in 1971. Maybe this will give you a bit of a lead? I'm sure others on this forum will know a lot more.

The film for "Superstar" was recorded on the same day as the video for "Rainy Days And Mondays". They are promo films. Filmed, not video taped according to Richard. This was done while they were at The Sands in Las Vegas on the 6th of April 1971, where they were opening the show for comedian Don Adams. The films were made during the day and were actually not filmed at the Sands, they were filmed at the Hotel next door, the Dessert In where Debbie Reynolds was headlining. It was their final engagement as an opening act (on the 14th of May 1971 they headlined at Carnegie Hall). As far as I know, I've never seen a director credited.

The film for "Superstar" was recorded on the same day as the video for "Rainy Days And Mondays". They are promo films. Filmed, not video taped according to Richard. This was done while they were at The Sands in Las Vegas on the 6th of April 1971, where they were opening the show for comedian Don Adams. The films were made during the day and were actually not filmed at the Sands, they were filmed at the Hotel next door, the Dessert In where Debbie Reynolds was headlining. It was their final engagement as an opening act (on the 14th of May 1971 they headlined at Carnegie Hall). As far as I know, I've never seen a director credited.
You can tell that they were shot on film by the amount of dirt and scratches that are on the video.

And in 1971, videotape was not practical as an Electronic-Field-Production (EFP) format, as you generally needed a really large studio to house the VTR's that were required to record and playback. (Here's a tour of the ABC video tape room in the late-1950's with 2-inch Quad VTR's---these are the machine's (not the exact same) that would be used to record the 1974 Perry Como Christmas Show.

I've personally have never cared for this video and maybe it's best that the director remains anonymous. I realize the attempt was probably to have a somber and dark effect on a melancholy song, but turn up the lights a little and maybe put the Carpenters logo above the stage. Visually, this video would not inspire me to see them live in concert if I were not a fan. Looks like footage from a high school talent contest in my opinion even though Karen's performance is excellent.

I've personally have never cared for this video and maybe it's best that the director remains anonymous. I realize the attempt was probably to have a somber and dark effect on a melancholy song, but turn up the lights a little and maybe put the Carpenters logo above the stage. Visually, this video would not inspire me to see them live in concert if I were not a fan. Looks like footage from a high school talent contest in my opinion even though Karen's performance is excellent.

WAY before MTV and music "videos" were a "thing." I don't think the art and production were even a thought back then. The closest thing to what we would think of as an actual "music video," in terms of production and telling a story, would be I Know I Need to be In Love...and even that was almost a half-decade before MTV came on the scene. Yes, I know the "videos' from MIA technically "count" and were produced to compete in the music video market at the time; however, A&M did a horrible job. Beechwood 4-5789, as much as I like the song, is a pretty cheap-looking and abysmal "music video." Yet again, mis-handled and mis-marketed by A&M. Just my opinion, of course.

Superstar, at least, as a straight-on performance had the class and production the duo deserved at the time. Even as dark and boring as it may seem, it wasn't "hokey."

M
I don’t know if they were shown in the US they were shown frequently on GTK an Australian Music Show Which was Broadcasted by ABC television in black and white.

Chris

The Video Has The original ending were Karen Goes away from the camera, on the spot where the version stops on the yesterday once more video, you can clearly see the screen turning very black... like a sign to cut the tape? (I don’t know anything about that stuff) :hide:

I never saw any. I thought they were used as promos in Japan and other markets outside the United States. I think I read that they would play them in movie theaters in Japan before the feature film started. That would be great promotion to a huge audience there. Hence the dozens of Japan only releases.

Hi
Were these Promotional films ever shown on US TV back in the day?
Please Mr. Postman (Disneyland) was aired on The Midnight Special.

But I’ll point out, a lot of early 80’s music videos look as cheesy as the MIA videos. Just take a look at Video Killed The Radio Star, Heart of Glass & Whip-It. Those music videos look cheesy nowadays.

Nice synopsis Simon. Great detail!

It makes sense that a promo film would be made for RD&M on April 6th of 1971 due to the fact that the single would be released on April 23, 1971. But it is curious why a promo would be made for Superstar; a track from the album that was only released due to significant airplay from radio stations due to frequent request from their audiences. Based on this, the powers-that-be released it as a single on August 12, 1971; almost three months after the "Carpenters" LP was released on May 14, 1971. Did Richard have a premonition on April 6th that Superstar would be a big hit and thus decided to do the promo? Why wasn't a promo done for the other hit single on the album For All We Know ?

BTW, I love both of these promo films. A moment in time...

The "Carpenters" logo may not have been finished when this video was created. It wasn't included on the sleeve of the Rainy Days and Mondays 45 that was released after the Superstar video was made. The logo first appeared a month later.

It makes sense that a promo film would be made for RD&M on April 6th of 1971 due to the fact that the single would be released on April 23, 1971. But it is curious why a promo would be made for Superstar; a track from the album that was only released due to significant airplay from radio stations due to frequent request from their audiences. Based on this, the powers-that-be released it as a single on August 12, 1971; almost three months after the "Carpenters" LP was released on May 14, 1971. Did Richard have a premonition on April 6th that Superstar would be a big hit and thus decided to do the promo? Why wasn't a promo done for the other hit single on the album For All We Know ?

I think while they were at the Sands they were trying to decide whether to release "Rainy Days And Mondays" or "Superstar" as the next single. I believe they played them both for the president of something (can't remember what?) And he replied "neither"

I think Reason To Believe got a promo film as well. Or was it Help. There was another album track from the CTY album that had a promo film for some odd reason.

It was the president of Capitol. All of that info comes from Richard's commentary track on the Japanese 40th anniversary GOLD DVD. I listened to it too when the first question was asked.

Given that these sorts of things were in their relative infancy, I wouldn't expect much different than what we see.

For me, I enjoy the darker setting, it fits the mood of this song to a "tee". Karen's performance outweighs any other negative. Her lip-sync is near perfect and her emotional reading of the song is intense and compelling. Setting aside the knowledge of how sophisticated something like this might be done decades later, I think it's an excellent promo for the song and the Carpenters. I love it.

Back
Top Bottom