Disc Battle: Live In Japan

Which Disc is your Favorite?

• Total voters

tomswift2002

So I was listening to Disc 2 of the Carpenters “Live In Japan” album, and I kind of got to wondering, which Disc in that album is your favorite? I’m not going to do a ‘Sides’ part, since with the CD’s there are no ‘Sides’ (even though I have seen CD booklets that list songs on ‘Side 1/A’ and ‘Side2/B’) even though LP’s and cassette releases would have Sides (and let’s forget 8-track—-was it even released on 8-track?)

Disc One for me, as well. It features a great version of ‘Help!’, which is my personal favorite on this album.

I prefer Disc 2. Disc 1 is generic with how they present their hits and other songs, whereas there’s more creativity on Disc 2 with the Medley and “Colonel Boogey/Sing”. Plus in the Medley we hear a number of songs for which, as far as we are aware, there are no studio recordings. It’s interesting how both the 1973 studio Medley and the 1974 Live Medley both start with Beach Boys songs: “Fun, Fun, Fun” in 73 & “Little Honda” in 74.
Then in 74 there’s “Shuboom, Daddy’s Home (a good Richard lead), Leader of the Pack (Karen does a good acting job on this track), The Book of Love (another good Richard lead) & Johnny B. Goode). In some ways I would’ve preferred the Live Medley on ‘Now & Then’ or a medley that encompassed maybe the late-40’s to 60’s.

Back
Top Bottom