Dixieland

dbdata

Has anyone ever heard why Herb has never done real Dixieland? From Wall Street Rag to Marjorine, he's been right up to the edge of it and in his typical style it's really nice and clean ... just PERFECT.

Has anyone ever heard why Herb has never done real Dixieland? From Wall Street Rag to Marjorine, he's been right up to the edge of it and in his typical style it's really nice and clean ... just PERFECT.

I always thought I'm Getting Sentimental Over You had sort of a Dixieland vibe up until the trombone solo and again after, and Don't forget Freckles from WNML and Butterball from WCAOD. And, there's Ratatouille from Coney Island. Monday, Monday from TBOTB has a Dixieland vibe to it, too.

There's quite a bit of Dixieland influence on the Baja Marimba Band albums. My favorite is "Goin' Out the Side Door." It really swings.

Now this...

...is Dixieland.

I've heard a few touches and flourishes in TJB's (and BMB's) arrangements, but nothing close to this, which has that free-wheeling spirit and the improvisational free-for-alls throughout.

I always thought I'm Getting Sentimental Over You had sort of a Dixieland vibe up until the trombone solo and again after, and Don't forget Freckles from WNML and Butterball from WCAOD. And, there's Ratatouille from Coney Island. Monday, Monday from TBOTB has a Dixieland vibe to it, too.

And I almost forgot...from Coney Island, Senor Mouse...

I always thought I'm Getting Sentimental Over You had sort of a Dixieland vibe up until the trombone
Sentimental was what put the hook in me. I was in 6th grade, my dad bought the album and I ran and signed up for cornet in the 7th grade Jr High band. By 8th I had a 7 piece group (made up of band instruments, of course) that did almost every one of the TJB songs much like they did ... we could even play along with the album until, as my trombone player said "he goes into the key of twelve sharps & seven flats"

Much later I saw that it was a path: He moved further from what they then called "Ameriachi" ... I could hear the jazz and big band influence coming in stronger I was waiting for more Dixieland that just the bits and pieces in the songs we mention.

Anyway, the probable answer is that Dixieland just isn't a passion of his and he surely doesn't have to do it for the gig anymore.

There are a few styles I can think of I wish Herb had explored, but he always follows whatever he's feeling at the moment.

I don't necessarily think he needs to make a Fandango II or Passion Dance II (which is an excellent salsa album), but something else in a Latino flavor would be a cool project.

Back
Top Bottom