Do you still buy CDs or do you download your music?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steven J. Gross

I must be in the minority of folks who just DON'T download (buy) my music online.
I was a Napster fan when it was new and free, tried it when it changed and gave up on it, I even have a Napster Ipod which I still use rarely.
Joined iTunes to get the Herb Alpert releases-then my computer crashed and they said you lost your library-I gave up!!!

I'm still pretty much a diehard hard-copy fan of music. I'll settle for CD, LP, cassette if I have to, and really dislike the notion of downloading music from some central source.

I was dragged kicking and screaming into those three TjB albums that were iTunes only (and still feel dirty from doing so) and haven't downloaded much since.

A few months ago, I somehow earned some magic dollars from Amazon that were good toward any download purchase. At the time, I was enamored with Taylor Swift's FEARLESS disc, so I used the Amazon dollars to get her prior album. But somehow I don't feel like it was "official". Even though I burned a CD from the tracks and printed a cover and track list, it still doesn't seem like that album is actually a part of my library.

I also downloaded one other track that was iTunes only. It's a current-day Youtube phenomenon duo called Pomplamoose. They did a killer version of the old Chordettes song, "Mr. Sandman" that I stumbled upon. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xMCNmUaGko

That recording was later used by Toyota in one of their throwback Avalon commercials. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaIs3u_h02Y

I wanted that recording and the only way to get it, other than stealing it from Youtube, was to buy it from iTunes for 99¢.

But that's about it. Everything else, I still look for CDs and LPs.

Harry

Well, I do a little of both, depending on what I feel like listening to, how much time I have for listening, budget (whether I have the record or CD or have to go out & Buy/Sell/Trade), availability of the song on "a free source" like YouTube or if available on iLike for free, whether I'm at my computer, or near my stereo and mood...

Dave

richard_sloat said:
Harry said:
They did a killer version of the old Chordettes song, "Mr. Sandman" that I stumbled upon. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xMCNmUaGko

Did you like this enough to BUY it? I don't see any real improvement at all compared to the original song. I prefer listening to Linda McCartney's reggae version from her album Wide prairie, much more of an original recording.

Yes I did. I appreciate the effort they went into to not only do the overdubs but to film each part for the video. And it was always a favorite record from childhood.

Plus, it was only 99 cents.

Harry

I still buy LPs and CDs, mostly used. Vinyl is definitely making a comeback, which is a source of joy.

Some of my used discs are acquired for between 25 cents and 3 bucks. My brother copies them onto his Ipod rather than pay 99 cents per song.

I don't have an Ipod & am not interested in one right now.

JB

I still buy a lot of CDs -- bought the new Foreigner today in fact (CAN'T SLOW DOWN, featuring a new singer who is a dead ringer vocally for Lou Gramm). But I have bought a lot of songs from iTunes too, usually ones which I know -- from listening to samples -- that I probably won't like the rest of the album.

I am always up for buying a new package of a much-loved album -- If Herb was to come out with "deluxe" special-editions of his TJB albums I would be first in line.

I am somewhat of a graphics geek so I enjoy making my own album covers for the various compilations that I've made. I dare say my home-made covers for those three iTunes Herb Alpert albums look better than the Shout Factory paper cases!

It depends, but I have no problem whatsoever with downloading if that is the best, or perhaps only means of obtaining the music. I downloaded WARM and some songs from TBAC album. Just fine.

I do have an iPod and like it very much.

Occasionally, you have to be careful that you don't download items which are remakes and not the originals, so it helps to read the reviews.

Over the years, I have purchased quite a few CDs, but I also have used iTunes for various things and have no problem with that method at all.

To me, it a "to each his own" sort of thing. To me, they're all just different routes to the same destination...

I haven't been buying lately...if I had, it would be CDs. I can play music through my smartphone with an SD card, but I've ripped CDs to the SD card rather than downloading.

I think if (and probably when) I get an iPod, iPhone or iPad, I'll probably switch to downloads. But deep down, I like having the physical medium....and I'd still rather hold a 12 inch LP cover and read liner notes most of all.

I will download songs when I don't want the entire album, kind of like how I used to buy 45s. I get some of the one-hit wonder songs that way.

LPs are making a comeback, but they can be pretty pricey. I saw several Blue Note LPs in the $25 range. I've seen a few rock titles at Fry's for around the same price.

Capt. Bacardi

I buy Compact Discs when that is the best available version or the only one I can easily get. Otherwise, I am a vinyl person as much as possible except when travelling. I transfer my vinyl collection to CD for that purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom