Doe anyone have another version of this photo?

I've wondered about that myself! The only one I've ever seen is the one used in the 'Close To You' video from the 'Yesterday Once More' DVD.

Are you speaking of this one Mark?
It appears on the PBS DVD Close To You, Remembering the Carpenters.
I took a screen cap from the DVD, not the best quality.

pu4ZSnr.png

When was that photo taken? 1981? Shots from that session have been used so often on releases that it’s become quite famous. Karen had her hair quite short in 1981, so is this earlier or later? I’ve always wondered.

I would figure sometime in 1980. It might even be from the time between the solo album and Music, Music, Music, since Karen's face has that "fatness" to it that you see on the photo that was intended for the solo album, but was used on Voice Of The Heart, (or even the photos that were ultimately used for the solo album's release) whereas, even by the time Music, Music, Music, was shot, her face seems to have been leaner than what it was in those solo photo sessions. And she's nowhere near as skeletal in these images as she appeared in the music videos that were shot for the singles for Made In America.

Shebi
I would figure sometime in 1980. It might even be from the time between the solo album and Music, Music, Music, since Karen's face has that "fatness" to it that you see on the photo that was intended for the solo album, but was used on Voice Of The Heart, (or even the photos that were ultimately used for the solo album's release) whereas, even by the time Music, Music, Music, was shot, her face seems to have been leaner than what it was in those solo photo sessions. And she's nowhere near as skeletal in these images as she appeared in the music videos that were shot for the singles for Made In America.
Karen is wearing her wedding ring, so it had to be post August 1980.

Thanks for those replies! Those photos have been used for Lovelines, both versions of The Ultimate Collection, and more recently the RPO album. It’s a timeless session, there’s nothing to specifically date it other than that we can tell it’s late Carpenters. That must be the reason it’s endured. Good to know the actual date though!

As you may know, it has become commonplace on social media to refer to an irritating, entitled customer as "a Karen". If you see anyone using this term, use this meme.

3zt7yl.jpg

Is this a U.K. thing? And I assume it's not specific to "our" Karen?

Back
Top Bottom