Does anyone know if "Ticket" LP ever went platinum?

Sadly, I don't think it ever achieved Gold and that's combining both "Offering" and "Ticket to Ride" LP's. "Close To You" did achieve 2X Platinum as the follow up and the Tan album was even more successful with 4X Platinum.

Sadly, I don't think it ever achieved Gold and that's combining both "Offering" and "Ticket to Ride" LP's. "Close To You" did achieve 2X Platinum as the follow up and the Tan album was even more successful with 4X Platinum.
Not even with all the repressings/reissues of the LP & CD's over the years? Wow, "Offering"/"Ticket" is one of my favorites, it doesn't sound like any of their other releases afterwards. Richard gets to sing quite a lot on this one. I do wish Karen had done the lead on "Get Together" like she did on "Your Navy Presents", But I do enjoy Richard's vocal, too. Would love to see an "Offering" LP re-issue to celebrate their 50th...no hurt in hoping, right?

Not even with all the repressings/reissues of the LP & CD's over the years? Wow, "Offering"/"Ticket" is one of my favorites, it doesn't sound like any of their other releases afterwards. Richard gets to sing quite a lot on this one. I do wish Karen had done the lead on "Get Together" like she did on "Your Navy Presents", But I do enjoy Richard's vocal, too. Would love to see an "Offering" LP re-issue to celebrate their 50th...no hurt in hoping, right?
The album peaked at #150 on Billboard's Album chart. Which means, in its best week, 149 other albums sold better. When your base of sales when new is that low, going gold with cumulative sales---even over 50 years---is pretty close to impossible.

I know Passage and Made in America have not been certified, but is it safe to say they have at least sold 500k copies each to reach Gold status?

I know Passage and Made in America have not been certified, but is it safe to say they have at least sold 500k copies each to reach Gold status?
In the UK “Passage” was certified Gold back on March 10, 1978. (According to BPI it was released Sept. 23, 1977 over there)
“The Singles 1974-1978” went Platinum on December 4, 1978 (after being released November 10, 1978)
MIA was certified Silver on June 26, 1981, the same day it was released.
VOTH was released October 7, 1983, went Silver October 20, 1983, and then went Gold November 2, 1983.
“Live At The Palladium” was released December 10, 1976 and went Gold January 27, 1977. And then in 1990 it was recertified Gold (the 1977 entry is listed as “Live At The London Palladium” while the 1990 entry is just “Live At The Palladium”), so I would think Palladium has crossed the Platinum threshold.

https://www.bpi.co.uk/brit-certified/

Neither Passage nor Made in America had sold enough to be certified gold back in 1998, when a number of Carpenters albums were recertified by the RIAA. It's possible (although not certain) that they may have squeaked over the 500k threshold since then, but I don't imagine their cumulative sales year on year will have been very big. It's unlikely that the record company will push for a recertification in any case, as it costs money to do so and if the sales are on the borderline of the gold threshold, it wouldn't be automatic that they'd get it.

I have purchased at least 3-4 times every album, be it because damage, gave them away, moving, etc. Bad that didn't help! LOL

In the UK “Passage” was certified Gold back on March 10, 1978. (According to BPI it was released Sept. 23, 1977 over there)
“The Singles 1974-1978” went Platinum on December 4, 1978 (after being released November 10, 1978)
MIA was certified Silver on June 26, 1981, the same day it was released.
VOTH was released October 7, 1983, went Silver October 20, 1983, and then went Gold November 2, 1983.
“Live At The Palladium” was released December 10, 1976 and went Gold January 27, 1977. And then in 1990 it was recertified Gold (the 1977 entry is listed as “Live At The London Palladium” while the 1990 entry is just “Live At The Palladium”), so I would think Palladium has crossed the Platinum threshold.

https://www.bpi.co.uk/brit-certified/

The BPI is dealing with much lower thresholds. A Gold album in the UK only needs to sell 100,000 copies. Platinum is 300,000.

And silver? That's 60,000.

The BPI is dealing with much lower thresholds. A Gold album in the UK only needs to sell 100,000 copies. Platinum is 300,000.

And silver? That's 60,000.

Indeed, although a lot of the earlier Carpenters albums are undercertified in the UK. The Singles 1969-1973, for instance, has never been certified more than Platinum, despite having sold well over 1 million copies here.

Back
Top Bottom