Dolly: The Ultimate Collection dvd box set

Nick

I recently purchased this great Dolly Parton boxset and it made me wish that we had something similar available for The Carpenters.

Following the recent success of the Musical Legacy book, it made me wish we had something similar to the Dolly box for The Carpenters; A Video Legacy box.

This could be released by TimeLife, who've released other Carpenters CDs in the past and who release great sets for Dolly, Carol Burnett among others.

I'd love it to include the 5 ABC TV specials, if not the complete Make Your Own Kind of Music, then the Carpenters musical numbers, The Boston Pops concert, the 3 BBC specials, Jerry Dunphy Visits, This Is Your Life, significant guest appearances on Carol Burnett Show, Bob Hope, Johnny Cash, Fifth Dimension, Andy Williams etc., the full White House appearance, Interviews, Tonight Show appearances, Grammy performances, studio filmed Close To You and Love Is Surrender videos, Commercials, early TV appearances on All American College Show, Maybe live shows? A very expanded Close To You: Remembering the Carpenters set, in a way.

Dolly was cleary involved in the compilation of the box set, as could Richard. He could record new interviews and commentary - almost like a companion to the book.

I know Richard has stated before that he hates the schtick of some of the appearances and cites the cost of copyright etc. as a prohibitive reason of not doing this but it can be done and the Dolly set shows this. It is also important to preserve the Carpenters video record. Yes, the music is the main focus of their career but they were at their peak in the 1970's when it was very normal for the best in entertainment to have their own TV specials and guest on the best shows. These appearances were a moment in time but should not be disregarded because they may look corny now.

Also, for younger fans seeing Richard and Karen live in concert or as guests on the many well-known TV shows at the time, is something I'd have loved to have experienced but I was too young and only became a fan in 1990 after seeking The Karen Carpenter Story and missed out on all of that. The only things I have seen, apart from official DVD releases, have been varying quality video clips on Youtube, some which are barely watchable now.

I never thought we'd get such a wonderfully detailed and high quality book about the Carpenters and their music, so I can still hope that we could get something on DVD that would be just as special.

My guess is we will see some type of DVD released when the new Christmas album comes out. It will probably have some type PBS fundraiser like the My Music from TJ Lubinsky.

The DVD will probably contain selected pieces from each Christmas Special instead of the actual full specials.

I don’t think we will ever see the light of day from some of the specials you mentioned especially MYOKOM.

I recently purchased this great Dolly Parton boxset and it made me wish that we had something similar available for The Carpenters.

Following the recent success of the Musical Legacy book, it made me wish we had something similar to the Dolly box for The Carpenters; A Video Legacy box.

This could be released by TimeLife, who've released other Carpenters CDs in the past and who release great sets for Dolly, Carol Burnett among others.

I'd love it to include the 5 ABC TV specials, if not the complete Make Your Own Kind of Music, then the Carpenters musical numbers, The Boston Pops concert, the 3 BBC specials, Jerry Dunphy Visits, This Is Your Life, significant guest appearances on Carol Burnett Show, Bob Hope, Johnny Cash, Fifth Dimension, Andy Williams etc., the full White House appearance, Interviews, Tonight Show appearances, Grammy performances, studio filmed Close To You and Love Is Surrender videos, Commercials, early TV appearances on All American College Show, Maybe live shows? A very expanded Close To You: Remembering the Carpenters set, in a way.

Dolly was cleary involved in the compilation of the box set, as could Richard. He could record new interviews and commentary - almost like a companion to the book.

I know Richard has stated before that he hates the schtick of some of the appearances and cites the cost of copyright etc. as a prohibitive reason of not doing this but it can be done and the Dolly set shows this. It is also important to preserve the Carpenters video record. Yes, the music is the main focus of their career but they were at their peak in the 1970's when it was very normal for the best in entertainment to have their own TV specials and guest on the best shows. These appearances were a moment in time but should not be disregarded because they may look corny now.

Also, for younger fans seeing Richard and Karen live in concert or as guests on the many well-known TV shows at the time, is something I'd have loved to have experienced but I was too young and only became a fan in 1990 after seeking The Karen Carpenter Story and missed out on all of that. The only things I have seen, apart from official DVD releases, have been varying quality video clips on Youtube, some which are barely watchable now.

I never thought we'd get such a wonderfully detailed and high quality book about the Carpenters and their music, so I can still hope that we could get something on DVD that would be just as special.

I agree ! This would be great

Back
Top Bottom