Don Ellis (Ed Sullivan)

JOv2

The time delay was nice. Interesting how some members of his trumpet section played the quarter-tone trumpet while others did not. Can't say I think very much of the piece -- and seeing a bunch of guys who look like the Association but dress like Steppenwolf...is like seeing a bunch of guys who look like the Association but dress like Steppenwolf 🥴; but, man, Don has that impeccable Severinsen-like tone, which, in a word is Beautiful -- with a capital "B".

rbisherw

Huge Don Ellis fan here.

While I find good stuff on all his albums, "Soaring" "Tears of Joy" and "Autumn" are not to be missed.

JOv2

From the '69 performance, looks like Don played a quarter-tone Holton -- similar to this model.

d248f-screen-shot-2015-08-13-at-17-21-40.png

Rudy

¡Que siga la fiesta!
Staff member
Site Admin
This was my first Don Ellis album:

1658764706234.png

Starts with the track "33 222 1 222" ("....and that's just area code," Ellis says in the introduction).

JOv2

Starts with the track "33 222 1 222" ("....and that's just area code," Ellis says in the introduction).
Knowing Don, I would've figured it was how you're supposed to count the 2nd repeat of the 9-bar D-section leading into the the 13/8 D.S. al coda...

JOv2

I still can't get 3⅔/4 time through my head...
Well, mathematically, you can take it to 11/12. Of course, I assumed there was no such thing as a "twelfth" note per se (...er, except in Don Ellis' world😵); but, lo and behold, from Wikipedia: twelfth notes are one eighth note in an eighth note triplet. Who would've guessed?

Moritat

Don Ellis was very underrated and overlooked. Had some great lps on Pacific Jazz, Columbia and New Jazz/Prestige. Some great soloing on this one...

Top Bottom