Eagles Concert: just going through the motions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
July 4th's concert by the Eagles was, I suppose, the anticipated social event of the summer for a lot of folks around here, but some things about it were kind of strange. The ticket prices were ridiculous - $95 - but the packed venue indicated many thought nothing about paying this in advance. Not me.
There were some obvious reasons for the high ticket price. First, the back-up band and road crew brought 4 large tour buses to one downtown hotel. The group itself (Don Henley, Glen Frey, Joe Walsh and Timothy B. Schmit) flew into town and arrived at the venue in four separate vehicles, either a limo or van. With a July 5 date for Louisville, KY, we assumed they'd leave immediately after the show, but they stayed overnight at a separate hotel from the back-up band.
Why? Because this hotel blocked off two rows of parking spaces for the band to enter and exit, presumably to give them privacy from the 'mobs of fans.' Uh -- what mobs? The only people who bothered to drop by were myself and 5 of my autograph collecting friends. Hardly worth the fuss.
Anyway, we left our impromptu cookout and arrived at the venue (a University basketball arena) 15 minutes before show time.
People were all over the place trying to get rid of tickets. One guy with floor seats practically chased up down the street (he wanted $40/ticket). We ignored him, talked to 3 other sellers and accepted an offer of 5 tickets for $50! That's right, each of us saved $85 by not buying advance tickets. In all my ticket-scalping years, this is the best we've ever done.
Oh - a word about the show. Very nice, not very loud, but not a lot of energy from Henley and Frey. They seemed to be going through the motions. Frey introduced "Take it to the Limit" by dedicating the song to his ex-wife's treatment of his VISA cards. Made me wonder if the ex-wives, alimony and child support were the sole reasons for the tour.
Joe Walsh was the bright spot, performing his James Gang tune "Walk Away" and solo hit "Life's Been Good." Added to the usual staple of Eagles tunes were Henley's solo material (ex. "Sunset Grill") and Frey's ("You Belong to the City").
There was considerably less publicity for this tour than the previous HELL FREEZES OVER tour of a few years back. And I wondered how the guys wound up spending July 4 in our backwater instead of a more exotic locale.
Overall, their loss was our gain.
JB
PS: Walsh graciously signed for us, and a friend reported meeting Schmit (who the rest of us missed). Henley and Frey managed to dodge us - what few of us there were.

Yes , I noticed the staggering cost of tickets for the Eagles latest USA Tour !

The promotors and all associated parties are too greedy ....at some point aside from the die-hard Fans , others will refuse to pay such prices :o

I caught up with Eagles in London June 2001 , I was suitably impressed by both thieir energy and musicanship , the backing harmonies were sublime , perhaps Eagles are low on gas after this tour and working hard on an all new studio Album , first since 1979 !

When I saw the Eagles 1996 Wembley concert , this was weird ....the first half was so laidback some were dozing off / having a rest before a second half of great energy !!

Still at least Eagles are still performing live across USA / Worldwide , many other Acts can barely do anything :sad:

Understand both Doors and Grateful Dead are planning some USA concerts before considering full tours in 2003 -can these groups really perform without Morrison & Garcia ??? :confused: :confused:

Good job on the cheap tickets! Talk about your breaks! :)

I just bought the DVD of Hell Freezes Over, which sounds great with the 5.1 DTS surround sound! I had seen the concert when it was first broadcast on Empty Vee, but the DVD showed some of their rehearsals, as well as interviews as to why they got back together. The nice thing about the DVD is that there is a bonus audio cut, "Seven Bridges Road", which is only on the DTS version. Good stuff!

I'm also thinking about getting the DVD of the Band's Last Waltz, which has a bunch of extra footage from the original movie and soundtrack.

I think it would be great to have some of the TJB specials on DVD, maybe the Midnight Special show that they did. Maybe one of these days... :blinkeye:

Capt. Bacardi
NP: Maynard Ferguson - Primal Scream

IMHO, The Doors couldn't even perform WITH Morrison in the band.

But that thought aside, concerts here in Detroit are a mixed bag. I couldn't even consider going to the Bacharach concert. I believe tickets for that were hundreds of dollars to get decent seats. I could have purchased "way up in the back of the balcony" seats for $45 each, but why bother? Doesn't help that the show was so poorly promoted that I only found out about it a few days before it was happening.

Some rock acts I won't see. Styx? No way. All the founding members are gone. Styx began with the Panozzo brothers and DeYoung. JY joined later. Tommy Shaw replaced Curlewski. Talk about a "going through the motions" concert--for me, w/o DeYoung on vocals, it's not worth seeing. Shaw's great on his half of the program, but that extra chemistry just wouldn't be there for me. They're touring again with REO. In this case Gary Richrath isn't touring with them, but since Kevin Cronin sings all the vocals, I don't think I'd notice the difference.

There really isn't much good happening here this summer, unfortunately. I think I got spoiled in 2000 when Steely Dan and the Brian Setzer Orchestra blew through town. Even the jazz pickings aren't all that good. Last summer we saw Joe Sample, Yellowjackets and Mangione at the same outdoor festival; this year all they can muster is Keiko Matsui. :confused: This summer's only highlight is an upcoming Rippingtons/David Benoit/Jean-Luc Ponty concert on 1 Aug 2002. And we caught David Sanborn a few weeks ago. And I"m still kicking myself for missing BR5-49, who played close to home, in a smaller jazz/folk club (The Ark), at a very reasonable price.

Prices are still all over the map. Some concerts are affordable (Styx/REO last time was cheap), where others are beyond what I'd ever want to pay. Scalping isn't even possible here--if you're caught, you're arrested on the spot (if you're selling OR buying). I just don't understand how some bands or artists can play for half the price at another venue in another state, and be more than double here. That and the fact that promotion is generally poor for many of these artists...you're likely to miss good concerts unless you read the fine print in the newspaper's entertainment section (we don't even get a paper), or search Ticketmaster daily for favorite artists.

Egads.

-= N =-

Haven't heard about the Doors reunion but have seen reports of Keyboardist Ray Manzarek opening for recent Vanilla Fudge and Jefferson Starship shows. Manzarek did a solo album for A&M, CARMINA BURANA (SP 4945) in 1984.
JB

The Doors "reunion" (are they all going to die first?) is supposedly taking place at some sort of music festival, and it's rumored that Stone Temple Pilots' front man (Scott Weiland?) will be taking Morrison's place. That's fitting--one drug/booze addict replacing another. :mad:

-= N =-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom