Early A&M Artist, Lucille Starr, Dead at 82

R.I.P. Ms Starr

Years ago I found the Canadian CD of THE FRENCH SONG (CD 69832).

I've also got Quality Records versions of the early A&M's. SP 4106 and SP 4107. The cover of my copy of CANADIAN SWEETHEARTS looks a little different from Steve's above. It doesn't have the repeated "STEREO" on the top. Rather it has "SP 4106" in the top left corner - on the spine. This in addition to the same info plus title on the actual side spine. The A&M logo is up near the top, and it has a whitish backing color, not bluish.

CanSweetFront.JPG

Her most popular single (#12 on the Canadian charts, and apparently the first single from a Canadian artist to sell a million copies worldwide) was "Quand Le Soleil Dit Bonjour Aux Montagnes" aka "The French Song."

Despite being known as a country duo (Canadian Sweethearts), their first single in 1958 was a well-regarded rockabilly hit. Bob and Lucille: "Eeny-Meeny-Miney-Moe."

Here are front and back covers for SP 4100 SAY YOU LOVE ME and LUCILLE STARR IN SOUTH AFRICA.

SP 9015 is a double LP reissue of SPs 4100 and 4106.

Lucille Starr ~ R.I.P.

JB

Attachments

• 0908201928a~2.jpg
    0908201928a~2.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 0908201928~2.jpg
    0908201928~2.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Enjoyed playing the 'SAY YOU LOVE ME' album in its entirety on YouTube. I'm intrigued by the 'SP 4100' catalog number and the mention of it being recorded in 1962. Most likely it wasn't released until after 106 & 107 and exclusively an import. A mix of solo and Canadian Sweethearts material.

JB

Enjoyed playing the 'SAY YOU LOVE ME' album in its entirety on YouTube. I'm intrigued by the 'SP 4100' catalog number and the mention of it being recorded in 1962. Most likely it wasn't released until after 106 & 107 and exclusively an import. A mix of solo and Canadian Sweethearts material.

JB

Yes, I noted that one of the data bases put it ahead of "The Lonely Bull," also indicating a 1962 release. But we know, not so.

I'm saddened to Hear this But I sure appreciate what I was able to get all I need is the say you love me Lp ( and needle drop it to CD for ripping to my computer) and I will have a completion May She Rest in Peace

In the back photo of "SP 4100" she's wearing the same outfit she wore for the cover shot of LP/SP 107. Proof positive the release was subsequent to THE LONELY BULL and most likely both 106-7. My guess is 1965-66.

JB

A couple of tracks from the 4100 album were placed as bonus tracks on the CD of THE FRENCH SONG, along with a few from the CANADIAN SWEETHEARTS album.

I'm guessing here, but it seems as though when the duo signed with A&M, they brought along some older recordings that were tapped for the CANADIAN SWEETHEARTS album. There are some tracks on that stereo album that are really mono tracks that are altered electronically to have a sort of stereo effect (not unlike "Mexican Shuffle" from Herb). The mono tracks on CANADIAN SWEETHEARTS are:

Half-Breed
Freight Train
Love
Hootenanny Express
Just For Fun

Back
Top Bottom